Panasonic GH4 pricing official - $1698 body only, $1998 for the external 10bit / XLR box

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What did they use to shoot that video?  There was quite bad moire on the shirt of the guy on the right so I am assuming it wasn't a GH4 otherwise it wouldn't be such a great advert!

Funny because I watched the same video, and the overall quality was excellent. So much so, that I'm going to download the 2.5GB file when I get home tonight.

well, yeah... some of the members here sound just like those over at POV... so the entire video was shiite and you'd never purchase the camera because of some moire on the fellow's shirt, and it probably wasn't even shot with the GH4... Absolutely ridiculous! We've already seen over a dozen videos of what this camera can do and it looks pretty awesome to me... there isn't a single camera out there at this price point with the features the GH4 camera offers, but it's not good enough; oh, and not a single person who's shot with it knows how to shoot video... Rokinon announces four new lenses for MFT, and already dozens of readers are complaining that they lack autofocus, or that they're too heavy... I'm tired of the mentality in the forums sometimes. If the GH4 is good enough for Andrew, Nick Driftwood and the guys over at the Camera Store in Canada, it's good enough for me. And if filmmakers as talented as Matthew Scott or Frank Glencairn recommend the Rokinons, and back it up with video, I listen. All the rest is hot air.

well, yeah... some of the members here sound just like those over at POV... so the entire video was shiite and you'd never purchase the camera because of some moire on the fellow's shirt, and it probably wasn't even shot with the GH4... Absolutely ridiculous! We've already seen over a dozen videos of what this camera can do and it looks pretty awesome to me... there isn't a single camera out there at this price point with the features the GH4 camera offers, but it's not good enough; oh, and not a single person who's shot with it knows how to shoot video... Rokinon announces four new lenses for MFT, and already dozens of readers are complaining that they lack autofocus, or that they're too heavy... I'm tired of the mentality in the forums sometimes. If the GH4 is good enough for Andrew, Nick Driftwood and the guys over at the Camera Store in Canada, it's good enough for me. And if filmmakers as talented as Matthew Scott or Frank Glencairn recommend the Rokinons, and back it up with video, I listen. All the rest is hot air.

I agree. 

A lot of hardcore forum users come across as 'camera spec geeks' who do nothing but moan the camera or lens is not good enough, when really, it is usually themselves that isn't. There is a very good reason why they spend a lot of time time on forums as opposed to actually shooting (and yes, cats and shots of bushes don't count!).

Ignore them anyway and believe in what you think is worthwhile. :)

Matt Frazer replied to my post on 43rumors.com with the following information:

"I am the Matt Frazer from the video and yes you are correct that the YAGH is not neccessary for the output of 4K video in any flavor we offer.
I would warn, however that there are real benefits to the conversion of HDMI to SDI, here are just 3.

1. Length of cable runs, Once you get a chance to output 4K over HDMI you will see that it is very unstable with runs over 6 or 7 feet. SDI gives you far greater range (hundreds of feet)
2. HDMI cables, paticularly micro HDMI, can easily come out of the camera and you can loose your recording or have a blip occur in the video.
3. Timecode, per a conversation I had with the lead electrical engineer on the YAGH project, timecode is NOT in the HDMI steam, it comes to the YAGH through 1 of the 5 new pins on the bottom of the GH4.
If you need timecode in your outboard recorder, you will need the YAGH to pass it along.

By no means do I think everyone will need a YAGH, in-fact many on the lower budget of video production will not be able to afford one at the launch so I wanted them to know it is a nice to have item, not a need to have.

Cheers!"

Pre-ordered earlier today, very excited.

Also, I emailed Jordan from The Camera Store in Canada/TCSTV, who said:

"Panasonic was unable to get us the new UHS-3 cards, so we used Lexar Professional 90MBps [600X - jurgen] cards.  They allowed us to shoot any of the 100Mbps modes, but the 200Mbps recording stopped after a few seconds."

So, 4K to the top level Class 10 UHS-1 cards, it seems, or at least the Lexar ones, at least in Canada, at least on the pre-production models. Ordered a couple today as well, so I'll test them when I get everything together.

The GH4 is available for preorder in the Benelux (Belgium & Netherlands).  It's 1499 EUR for body only. 

That seems to be the price throughout the EU. I wonder how much is the actual purchasing price (w/ taxes) in (the most of the states inside) the Obamaville? I take it that the $1698 mentioned in the header is w/o taxes, isn't it. 

Just curious.

The only additional tax in the US would be sales tax, which varies from state to state, most are around 5% to 8% or so. But most people will be buying the GH4 online, and you generally only pay sales tax on online purchases if the store is in the same state as you.

It's also the first time I've noticed the quality gear wheel go all the way up to 4K in YouTube. 

Maybe that has been the case for a good while now, but this one was the first one I noticed it. I wonder how close to real 4K that YouTube thingy really gets, though, or is it just another marketing gimmick.

I'm definitely not going to pre-order this camera. But, after they get shipped and the first early adopter beta-testers shake all the bugs out ;) it's one of the cameras I was waiting for. At the moment, the Nikon D5300 suffices just fine. Like working with smaller files, low storage needs, no need for super computer etc. 

However, is this GH4 4k footage going to be manageable with a low-mid end system? If a raw workflow is so demanding, wouldn't a 4k workflow require an even more robust editing system? 

I get that even if you're only planning to work in 1080p, the 4k source will render a much nicer end result. But does that mean shooting 4k and then having to deal with gigantic files to scale down to 1080p? Or, will the GH4 take advantage of the 4k downsampling in-camera, and leave you with an awesome 1080 image that rivals anything shot 1080 natively, and a file size that doesn't require a super-computer?

So does anyone think this will have an impact on the GH3 price?  Does the GH4 make it go lower because there is a 'newer and better' model out, or does it drive it higher because the GH3 is now part of a system with an easy upgrade to 4k?  Or is there no impact?

(I would like cheaper to be the answer!)

GH3 has started to get a bit cheaper - I just noticed that panasonic are now running an offer where you can claim a free battery, grip and 25mm lens when you buy a GH3 (currently about GBP 749 in the UK).

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-gh3-free-lens-and-accessories/

Also an offer for the GH4 with battery and grip

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-gh4-preorder-offer-free-battery-grip-and-battery/

(apologies if this has been posted before, just the first time I had seen it)