Dear Panasonic the wish list for a video edition GHX

Brellivids

Dear Panasonic. :)

This new GH4 seems great and I bet that many of us indie folk and others thank you for listening.

Since you may soon find out with strong sales of the GH4 it's smart bussiness to listen.

The next camera you could and should do is an improved version of GH4 but with more video work in mind.

Make it so that it does not have a handle but a handle is removable and comes in the package as standard.

Then make a link that enables two of the cameras to be synchronized via cable or connector for 3D-work.

This would mean the camera needs to have the battery under (accessible from back wall) or behind the screen and accessible from bottom. 

-Use the newer SD card system.

-Add higer bit rates for 4K .. (100 is not alot GH4)

-and more bith depth. . 12 bit would be good. (perhaps only via sata connector)

-add higher frame rate. 48FPS at least for 4K .. would be great

-Add an external sata connector so users can record to an SSD if the high FPS + bitdepth require too much from the SD cards.

And to top it off..

If you can make a new sensor 8 K resolution or 4 K which dimensions conform to video work first and for photography second. A pure 4K / 6K resolution video sensor in micro four thirds mount would be sweet and likely less noisy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

"Newer SD card system."

I'd prefer if future cameras went to CFast. SD cards are a bit flimsy.

"Add higer bit rates for 4K .. (100 is not alot GH4)"

100 is a lot actually! With the next generation codecs bitrate becomes less important. H.265 will deliver far more image quality for the same bitrate.

"and more bith depth. . 12 bit would be good. (perhaps only via sata connector)"

I personally don't need 12bit. Can't tell the difference between 10bit and 12bit.

"add higher frame rate. 48FPS at least for 4K .. would be great"

Agree with this one, slow-mo must continue unabated into the 4K era.

"Add an external sata connector so users can record to an SSD if the high FPS + bitdepth require too much from the SD cards."

eSATA connectors are too wobbly. Solution is to have CFast cards with same performance, price and capacities as SSD cards and just have it do it all in-camera.

"Newer SD card system."

I'd prefer if future cameras went to CFast. SD cards are a bit flimsy.

"Add higer bit rates for 4K .. (100 is not alot GH4)"

100 is a lot actually! With the next generation codecs bitrate becomes less important. H.265 will deliver far more image quality for the same bitrate.

"and more bith depth. . 12 bit would be good. (perhaps only via sata connector)"

I personally don't need 12bit. Can't tell the difference between 10bit and 12bit.

"add higher frame rate. 48FPS at least for 4K .. would be great"

Agree with this one, slow-mo must continue unabated into the 4K era.

"Add an external sata connector so users can record to an SSD if the high FPS + bitdepth require too much from the SD cards."

eSATA connectors are too wobbly. Solution is to have CFast cards with same performance, price and capacities as SSD cards and just have it do it all in-camera.

Does GH4 record in 265 ? I'm all for multiple codecs.. perhaps have both.

In regards to the memory cards .. I mean the new UHS-II cards. Those are likely be fast enough depending on model and they are likely much cheaper compared to the latest and greatest CF cards. 

Why not add two options

1. clean HDMI out with a special tougher connector + Panasonics own adapter / connector cable. That much milking I could agree into.

why not make it two cards slots while one's add it :) 

2. UHS-II card slot + CFast slot 

Wouldn't one need to transcode H.265 to a more edit friendly codec for editing?

At the moment that might be the case. Unless it's software that is optimized for graphics cards like the mercury engine in Adobe products. Eventually Adobe products and others will likely implement a real time acceleration for H.265 editting. 

At the moment that might be the case. Unless it's software that is optimized for graphics cards like the mercury engine in Adobe products. Eventually Adobe products and others will likely implement a real time acceleration for H.265 editting. 

So might need an external recorder as a time saver on time sensitive projects.