Apple M1 - my take on it

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

This is both very promising but also kind of disappointing; the performance boosts are impressive and they seem to be giving you good value, but I hate that Apple is going back to a more closed off system. The switch to Intel really opened things up, especially when it came to 3rd party programs. 

It also makes me wonder how easy it will be for those 3rd party developers to re-write or port their programs to use the new processors.

The irony is, the reason why it’s so impressive is because of that closed system. If you control all variables, you can create the perfect equilibrium. If everything‘s open, you don’t.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, D4cl00 said:

The irony is, the reason why it’s so impressive is because of that closed system. If you control all variables, you can create the perfect equilibrium. If everything‘s open, you don’t.

Exactly.

My Dad was a computer engineer for a large educational institution before he retired.  They once bought a new top of the line computer from their supplier to act as a replacement to their primary server, custom built with the top motherboard, CPU, RAID controller, and HDDs.  A week in he worked out that the problems he was having were between the motherboard, RAID controller, and the drivers for one of the chips on the motherboard.  Two weeks in he'd found the half-dozen threads online of people complaining about the exact hardware combination not working, worked out which one had the most intelligent people in it, and started working with them to hassle the manufacturers.  Four weeks in the group had gotten official replies from the motherboard manufacturer, the chipset manufacturer (who wrote the drivers) and the RAID controller manufacturer, with each blaming one of the other two manufacturers.  
Two months in he declared defeat and leaned on his supplier to take the whole machine back for a full credit, which he could only do because they bought hundreds of PCs from them per year.

With Apple, it doesn't work and someone gets told to fix it, and so they get everyone in a room and fix it.

That's the difference between closed and open systems.

16 hours ago, D4cl00 said:

That's what I like about the Mac/iOS ecosystem, the final nail in the windows coffin for me was running a digital media production program with 30 workstations on the Adobe suite. Every single day we were diagnosing problems with software/hardware compatibility that kept surfacing. It never ended, even with all windows, Adobe and hardware drivers up to date. It just got to be too much of a drain on resources. We switched to Macs when the slimmer iMac's were introduced and just about every one of those issues disappeared. Not having to address compatibility with every damn component under the sun makes for a much more streamlined and efficient system. I don't care about any of the cost/performance debates - that's all white noise I just tune out, everything integrates beautifully across all my devices allowing me to get stuff done faster with less headaches. The M1 takes it to another level. After the usual iPhone 'S' updates next year to the 12s, hopefully the M1 refresh (M2?) and the next mobile overhaul will fully integrate all device lines.

Cheers

Chris