Can you record V Log in S1 6K Photo Mode?

HockeyFan12

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Thanks, do you know if rather than buying the DMW-XLR1 I can just send audio from my MixPre3 and it will still be decent quality (48kHz/16-bit PCM I guess is fine) and I can lock the levels to match the MixPre3, it won't use auto levels? 

That should work well, yeah. You might even get better results than with the XLR1. I use the XLR1 as much for convenience than anything. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

That should work well, yeah. You might even get better results than with the XLR1. I use the XLR1 as much for convenience than anything. 

Oh, I'd rather have the XLR1 for the convenience. But I already own a MixPre3. I suppose I can also record to both and sync in post. I hate doing additional work, but it's not a lot.

3 minutes ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Oh, I'd rather have the XLR1 for the convenience. But I already own a MixPre3. I suppose I can also record to both and sync in post. I hate doing additional work, but it's not a lot.

You'll get excellent results with the MixPre3, I wouldn't bother with the XLR1 unless you need a real stripped down set up. 

On 8/16/2020 at 12:34 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

I use the Mix pre-d with XT3 and did the same with the GH5, found it was best to set the audio level to manual  lowest setting on the camera and let the Sound Device lovely pre amps do all the work. Got decent quality audio, the Panasonic was a little cleaner than the Fuji so hopefully the S1 is similar

39 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

Something feels odd about this video. Something with the shutter speed or stabilization, maybe?

It's such a tease for Panasonic, with the 6k mode, to all but tell you that the camera will record 6k perfectly fine.

It's in 30p for one thing but it also feels like there's a bit of skew or IBIS wobble with it, too.

Nice image, though.

On 8/17/2020 at 9:19 AM, Parker said:

I have always meant to experiment with this mode for a shoot but never have, it uses the full 3:2 aspect ratio of the sensor, correct? So it'd probably have to be cropped for video regardless

It's not an open gate mode and it isn't down sampling, just reading the 5k portion of the sensor so there is a slight crop.

maybe 1.1 or something. Not very noticeable compared to normal photo mode but it's there.