12K. I want an engineer's thoughts...

Andrew Reid

13 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

make sense but it is strange Resolved has been optimized to run 12K and not for the conversion of the log profile. I guess we will have to wait a little to see it.

They want us to hone our colour correction skills further 😉

On  more serious note, I guess Blackmagic needs to figure this out. And check whether the reviewer's monitor wasn't calibrated well (or at all), or is it a genuine issue. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/17/2020 at 3:12 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

The OG 4.6k's are getting pretty cheap. I got two now. The BRAW on the mini pro's is probably worth the extra $500-$1000 though. 

Not to mention the swappable mounts, and internal ND filters is definitely worth the extra to go for the UMP

On 7/17/2020 at 1:41 AM, rawshooter said:

That means you will be able to downsample the 12K sensor signal into a 4K signal with no color interpolation by binning 3x3 pixels into one pixel. That's the equivalent of a 3-chip camera or Foveon sensor. Clean 4K with 4:4:4 color sampling and zero debayering artefacts.

But there are a lot of white pixels between them. Its far from artefacts free. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:28 PM, sanveer said:

Anyone who probably is unhappy with this footage hasn't seen Alexa footage. It is quite green.  

I have noticed this in a couple of comparisons between BM and Alexa.

This is one:

This is another:

(The shots by the window show the window frame to be very green on the Alexa).

Both tests were shot by professional DPs, so I can't imagine that they both screwed up in the same way.  Of course you can fix these things in post, but it's interesting to note.

16 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

please, that lot of people you are talking about is only 1%.

I work on productions every month with cameras that are $10K ish plus. 

And I don't see myself as particularly abnormal, I'm not someone working exclusively on fancy film sets, lots of my shoots I'm on are still very low budget / indie. 

16 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

and how do you know this??? I'll be using an FX9 on an upcoming production which is a 10k camera. I am sure there are a lot of other people on this forum that do a lot more video work than me. 10k isn't even very expensive for a production camera.

Still unsure why you are upset that other people are excited about a camera announcement??

Exactly x2

16 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

like you now having the opportunity to use a FX9, but you didn't tell if you own that camera, is it your camera?

But owning the camera isn't what @thebrothersthre3 was talking about, he said "there are a lot of people on this forum that work for production companies that use 10k plus cameras or rent 10k plus cameras for projects" when you replied to that with your 1% claim.