Bags for dual camera setups?

Mako Sports

Looking for bag recommendations from those of you that run 2 cameras + other gear. 

I have an FS5 + A7iii inside of a cage for bodies

24 - 105 + 100 -  400 and sometimes an 85 1.8 for lenses.

1 wireless lav set, 1 xlr based shotgun mic, 1 rode videomicro, and a set of headphones for audio

extra batteries, cables, SD cards and a 5'' external monitor. 

My main bag is the Tenba Cinelux 16 and its to tight for all this.

Also it would be nice to have a slot for a laptop when I have to fly out for gigs or have to edit on location. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As I was reading your post, I immediately thought of the Tenba Cineluxe. Then I saw that you already have the small one and you potentially need to fly with it. Your best bet is the Pelican 1510. It completely meets all FAA regulations for carry-on. 

Something to think about is how you'll be using the bag/case because these two things are often mutually exclusive:

1) Ability to drop camera(s) in fully assembled with lenses, monitors, etc.

2) Bag/case is compact and sturdy enough for safe carry-on air travel.

I just switched from a bag to a knockoff Pelican 1560 case, mostly because I haven't been happy with any of the camera bags I've had. Even with a M43 set up it just feels like I'm putting too much in there with my usual kit. I don't mean to sound lazy or like a wimp, but at 35 years old I don't feel as young as I used to, and honestly lugging around a heavy bag(s) before I even start an entire day of filming sucks.

I can fit three Panasonic G/GH cameras, three battery grips, three 12-35 lenses, a 14-140 lens, three Tascam TM-2X mics, a Movo VXR10 mic, my Azden XD wireless mic, my Sennheiser XSW wireless mic, a couple audio recorders, a couple extra lavs, my Azden SGM-250x shotgun, my Saramonic SmartRig+ XLR adapter, two Aputure AL-M9 lights, my headphones, and cables and batteries. I could realistically fit more in it if necessary because it's so deep (it comes with 2 layers of pluck and pull foam.)

It has a pull out handle so I can roll it and I can also travel with it when needed! 

For shoots where I don't need my lights and stuff I just have that, my tripods, and a regular backpack to carry my laptop and other random stuff. I can bring it all in one trip from the car. My back thanks me!

The one I got on eBay is listed as 22" Weatherproof Marine Rolling Case Drone Camera Gun w/ Pelican 1560 Style Foam. I promise this isn't me selling them lol. 

1 hour ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

As I was reading your post, I immediately thought of the Tenba Cineluxe. Then I saw that you already have the small one and you potentially need to fly with it. Your best bet is the Pelican 1510. It completely meets all FAA regulations for carry-on. 

Something to think about is how you'll be using the bag/case because these two things are often mutually exclusive:

I actually have a 1510. I kinda hate is how heavy and bulky it is.

4 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I actually have a 1510. I kinda hate is how heavy and bulky it is.

You probably don't want the 1560 then ha ha. I've found I much prefer it over a bag since I can roll it around. 

I do suggest you switch out the wheels though! I'm so much happier after switching mine. The default ones aren't great, at least not on the generic one I got. 

8 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

A setup that might work is where you have three bags:

1. a smaller carry-on that houses the equipment in its dismantled form
  2. a large checked bag (maybe hardcover) that can house the rigs when they're built out
  3. a largish softer bag for all your clothes and non-camera stuff

and you would put the larger soft(ish) bag into the large hardcover case when flying and then you can remove it at the accommodation for days on set and keep the rig built-out.

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

...........but at 35 years old I don't feel as young as I used to.....

Just wait until you're on the "downhill" side of 40 ???

I need a bag suggestion as well. I'm sick of breaking down my X-T3 rig and rebuildinging if for every job. I need a bag that can hold a mirrorless rig with 15mm rails and a v-mount. I've been running a Ninja V and expect I'll at least have to take it off the rig, but it would be nice to leave the rest together. Other essential kit included one or two xlr shotgun mics w/pistol grip mount, cables, headphone, 70-200mm zoom and 25mm mini-cine lens, wireless lav, 2 small on camera LED lights, and other standard kit. Space for a Ronin-S in its balanced configuration would be a bonus. Space for a Mavic 2 Pro would also be a bonus.

How do folks like the Port Brace bags? I'm in the Pacific Northwest and do nature/forestry type work often, so water is an issue.

• Super Members

I've mentioned this site before but it allows you design foam cutouts for gear.

Its predominantly designed for Peli and SKB cases etc. but can give you a good idea of how much space you'll need in a new bag.

It doesn't include every brand or model of camera but there are enough to give you a good idea and if you want to be more precise for your own specific gear you can import images of it to trace.

This is a really great tool if you are as spatially challenged as I am.

Which explains why I've just managed to do this and fit a C100, GH5, MavicPro with controller, two lenses, a Rode NTG2 and spare batteries for all of them with room to spare in a Peli1510 when in my real 1510s with my haphazard arrangements I'm lucky to fit half that in !

1012734171_ScreenShot2019-11-16at20_30_13.png.60bdc98d769947e739929ad23ad60efc.png

https://mycasebuilder.eu