A look at the new video features of the new Sony A7, A7R and RX10

Andrew Reid

For me, the 1" sensor of the Rx10, and so its crop factor, make me prefer the A7. What has rx10 more than A7? 

But the question is how to fight THE problem: a "cheaper" and light FF-Mirrorless camera body from a way, and an expensive poor set of lenses right now aviable. Yes, you can use adaptors, so, what is the best choose? 

- A m43 lens? All the mft funs are watching this event and are a bit worried the other ones (as Panasonic-Olympus) will follow Sony with NEW mount. There the problem of crop images. In post you can edit and zoom in. But the quality? It's the same? 

- Vintage/Legacy lens. Is there a crop here, or not? The OM lens, for example, do they need an adaptor or don't? Other legacy lens? 

Thanks 

no crop on legacy lenses.  I imagine some of the contax zeisses will outperform the new plastic crap zeiss now make.  adaptors are avialbable for every lens mount there is:)

finally my distagon 25mm f2.8 will be given a proper test.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hmm. I was getting ready to write off the A7 and RX10 as interesting but not compelling, but this changes things quite a bit. It sounds like the new Bionz X revision is a dramatically better chip... if they're reading the entire RX10 sensor then high ISO performance in video is likely to be MUCH better than my A77. If that's really the case then that might replace the A77 in low light or anywhere I would've stopped down, especially with those NDs on board. Two things about the RX10 I'm confused about: does it have physical aperture AND ND? And how is that focus ring on it? I hate the velocity sensitivity on certain fly-by-wire focus implementations, which totally mucks up follow focus. 

As for the A7... ugh, if only it would stabilize my Alpha lenses. I would be reasonably content to go adapted in that case. 

no crop on legacy lenses.  I imagine some of the contax zeisses will outperform the new plastic crap zeiss now make.  adaptors are avialbable for every lens mount there is:)

finally my distagon 25mm f2.8 will be given a proper test.

Well you have imagined it wrong.

The Zeiss in Alpha mount are all metal, even the focusing ring and they feel like Rolex. 

Optically speaking, they are about the same design as the Contax with an improved coating. So I let you figure that out.

It is a bit hard to tell from a youtube video, but the A7r film at the Parisian countryside looks quite good. Especially colors and dynamic range look more than satisfactory for many jobs like fashion films that will end on magazines web sites and iPads.

As for the lack of AA filter, I think for print use, it makes a little of difference, It may be worth or not it depends on the eye of the beholder. I had a few cameras lacking AA filter, including digital backs, and I can only praise the gimmick. Moiree occours only once every few thousands shots and you get that little extra crispiness, which helps to get a little more hyper realistic, if you need it.

You can go through the whole post processing and retouching without ever applying any USM or smart sharpen and just deliver the image unsharpened. It just plain works and looks better.

Plus Sony do not even overcharge for it.

I meant to post this in the other thread on 5K, blame tabs! But I'll leave it here anyhow:

It's shame you can see the AVCHD muddiness in those YouTube clips. They are compressed for YouTube sure, but it's a generational loss.

Reading a 5K stream at 60p (Red Epic without Dragon upgrade does 5K at 96p) and destroying it with 28mbps AVCHD = utter lunacy = business.

Here's a 5K Epic stream NOT destroyed by compression at the recording stage! Then below some AVCHD-mangled RX10 down-scaled 5K, recompressed for YouTube. Set these both to 480p, and imagine if they didn't squash the life out of the RX10 footage... mmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPu-q6N9Y0&feature=player_embedded

NOTE: Epic is a bit too sharp for me taste wise though it's great for compositing and post work, but Alexa is my favorite of the big boys, but you get the idea, Sony are obliterating a great achievement with an old codec :(

Well you have imagined it wrong.

The Zeiss in Alpha mount are all metal, even the focusing ring and they feel like Rolex. 

Optically speaking, they are about the same design as the Contax with an improved coating. So I let you figure that out.

NO.  You wrong.  

In todays climate it's not economically viable to make lenses of the standard of the contax zeiss for modern consumer grade cameras (of which every Sony alpha camera is consumer grade).  Anyway, you're clearly a fanboy so I'll leave it there.

I have 8 good Canon FD lenses is a joy to use with the OM-D thank to the IBIS, but the focal lenght is a pain.

Now with the a7 can i use the FD lenses with correct focal factor but without stabilization, why on the earth i cannot have both things working together?

NO.  You wrong.  

In todays climate it's not economically viable to make lenses of the standard of the contax zeiss for modern consumer grade cameras (of which every Sony alpha camera is consumer grade).  Anyway, you're clearly a fanboy so I'll leave it there.

By your above words it seems that you are simply making assumptions and do not have direct experience with Zeiss Alpha lenses.

While I owned 2 of Contax 645 bodies with 4 lenses for 5 years and recently several Alpha Zeiss lenses.

Any close observation and extensive use on the above products will prove me right and that you are wrong.

In any case I was simply pointing out that the Alpha Zeiss are not plasticky as you stated and are professional grade equipment.

Beside, Sony bodies like the a900 and a99 are not exactly consumer grade.

The D5200 used a Toshiba sensor.  It looks like the D5300 is now using the D7100 sensor which has no AA filter.  So don't expect similar results to the D5200.

Well, Actually the D5200 and D7100 has the same sensor, only that the D7100 has no OLPF. And as a D7100 owner i can say it has a beautiful image, very detailed, so come on D5300!  ;)

Video from the A7 - moiré festival.

http://youtu.be/oh3dKWglaXQ

they need to turn the in camera sharpening off.  sort out their exposure, sort out their white balance,  and actually output a decent video sample.  then offer it on vimeo with downloads enabled.  this video sample is less than worthless to determine the results obtainable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Actually the D5200 and D7100 has the same sensor, only that the D7100 has no OLPF. And as a D7100 owner i can say it has a beautiful image, very detailed, so come on D5300!  ;)

Has anyone decided if the 7100 is inferior to the 5200 for video due to its lack of OLPF? Is there any moire/aliasing in video mode on the 7100? I'm holding off on buying a D5200 because of the immanent 5300, which has no OLPF (+ prob same sensor as 52/7100) but has 60p, better low light and better battery than 5200. I assume fixed pattern noise will still be a problem with the 5300 ...

Has anyone decided if the 7100 is inferior to the 5200 for video due to its lack of OLPF? Is there any moire/aliasing in video mode on the 7100? I'm holding off on buying a D5200 because of the immanent 5300, which has no OLPF (+ prob same sensor as 52/7100) but has 60p, better low light and better battery than 5200. I assume fixed pattern noise will still be a problem with the 5300 ...

Yes! The D7100 don't suffer from moire or aliasing, is very organic and nice color too. Only difference between them is body construction.

D5300 might be good, but  you better wait to see some real footage and tests.

I just want to say thanks to Andrew for his great reporting on these innovative Sony Cameras.  I was on the web trying to find more information about the Sony RX10 and I went to bizarro world.  Check out the numerous and contentious comments.  Photographers are arguing back and forth about the cost of the camera.  Only a handful of times were general comments made about video and no one mentioned the lack of moire/aliasing.  No one mentioned HDMI 4:2:2.  No one mentioned the clickless apeture setting.  No one mentioned zebras or peaking.

I wonder how many of these Sony is going to make and how many they plan to sell.  A lot of people on that photo site are looking at it as a mega zoom stills camera.  They are totally ignoring the amazing video features.  It's crazy.  When you look for a camera with very little moire/aliasing, peaking, zebras and an image stabilized 24-200 lens what are your options really?  I can think of very little if anything in that price range.