Why is there no love for the Panasonic S1-R? It has no crop in 4k 60p

Stab

Alright, it has a 1.09x crop in video mode. But that's still better than the S1's 1.5x crop in 4k 60p, which is the main video mode I'm using for weddings.

Now I know that the S1-R uses line skipping whereas the S1 doesn't, but how do the two camera's actually stack up when shooting 4k 50 or 60 fps?

From what I've seen the S1-R is a little softer (not necesarilly a bad thing) and might have a tad more aliassing, but the S1 seems to have more ugly looking moiré. Mind you, I'm talking about the 4k 60fps modes only. And indeed, the S1-R doesn't have the V-LOG update but it does shoot HLG which offers pretty similar dynamic range.

But! But it is 1.09x crop!

The price difference doesn't matter for me. I'm just doubting which one to get. I also want to start doing more photography and both these camera's seem to be awesome for that as well. Similar DR, same color science, etc.

It seems like that the S1-R is pretty much ignored on the interwebs as a viable candidate for video but is that justified? Has anyone used both or seen them side by side?

I find it looking very good and clean in this video:

Love to hear your opinions!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Is Vlog good in 8 bit on the S1?

I'm wondering this myself. I use 8-bit vlog-l on the gh5 all the time and it's fine for my uses, definitely still an increase in DR. It will be interesting to see if the supposed "full curve" or whatever of actual VLOG is in 8-bit. Hopefully not worse, a la sony-style s-log banding, etc. 

Its not the camera its the system, With its price point its an entry level luxury camera system - ALL of the lenses are hilariously priced (must be a leica tax) 

Besides autofocus - The S1 is the best mirrorless camera on the market for video, but its the L mount system that is currently holding it back. 

19 minutes ago, Parker said:

I'm wondering this myself. I use 8-bit vlog-l on the gh5 all the time and it's fine for my uses, definitely still an increase in DR. It will be interesting to see if the supposed "full curve" or whatever of actual VLOG is in 8-bit. Hopefully not worse, a la sony-style s-log banding, etc. 

Yeah I am sure its full curve in 8 bit. But the GH5 is known to have artifacts when shooting vlog in 8 bit. Obviously it works for you though. 

22 hours ago, Stab said:

Why is there no love for the Panasonic S1-R? It has no crop in 4k 60p

Very easy reason why:

PRICE!! 

The Panasonic S1R is US$3.7K

At $2.5K the S1 is a *lot* cheaper!

And there are heaps of other tempting cameras around that much lower price point of US$2.5K, or even sub $2K. 

Such as Z Cam E2 / BMPCC4K / Sony a7 mk3 / Panasonic GH5S / GH5 / Fujifilm X-T3 / Nikon Z6 / etc 

We're really spoiled for choice! If someone wishes to spend much less than what a S1R costs. 

And if a person does want to spend somewhere around that US3.7K price point that a S1R costs, then they've got plenty of other choices there as well to tempt them away, for example:

The Sony FS5 is cheaper (and is MUCH cheaper if buying secondhand on eBay)

Also did you know the Panasonic EVA1 has dropped in price to sub $4K new? That is only marginally more expensive than the S1R (cheaper than the S1R when you consider how much it would cost to make the S1R a bit more fictional!). And the EVA1 would put the operator into a totally different class of work than owning the S1R, that the ROI from an EVA1 would undoubtedly be better than owning a S1R. 

And if you carry on looking up, the Canon C200B has dropped to sub $5K new as well, which from a professional working perspective is not really that much more than an S1R either. 

I could go on and on. But basically the Panasonic S1R is too expensive for both amateur and semi professional filmmakers, unless you first and foremost are going to get a lot of value at of its stills capabilities as well (perhaps you're an ex Sony a7R, Canon 5DS, or Nikon D810 shooter etc). 

If you are a photographer hybrid who can justify the expensive of a stills orientated S1R then sure, go for it! Although personally I'd probably rather get two cameras instead (is always handy to own two! A back up for each, or for multi cam shoots), which each dedicated to the task at hand. (videography or stills)

Such as a Nikon D810 + Z6, or a Sony FS5 + a7R mk2 would be a waaaay nicer combo to use for shoots than a single Panasonic S1R! (and yet, the total cost would be very similar for any of these three options from Nikon / Sony / Panasonic )

15 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Its not the camera its the system, With its price point its an entry level luxury camera system - ALL of the lenses are hilariously priced (must be a leica tax) 

Besides autofocus - The S1 is the best mirrorless camera on the market for video, but its the L mount system that is currently holding it back. 

Hopefully once Sigma released a full range of affordable Sigma lenses for L Mount that will leap frog the L system ahead.