Help The Camera Manufactures Choose Must Have Features

DBounce

Help The Camera Manufactures Choose Must Have Features  

57 members have voted

1. 1. This poll is designed to help the camera manufactures to understand which feature their customer value the most. Adding these features is often times the deciding factor between a would be customer merely liking a camera, and actually purchasing a camera. Select your choice below. You may select more than one, try to only pick the top three features you desire.

• High resolution 6K or more please
    • Dynamic range - At least 14 stops
    • Reliable Auto-Focus (DPAF / PDAF... or similar)
    • Battery Life
    • Raw output / Robust codec
    • Large detailed rear screen
    • Size and weight
    • Weather-sealing / Build quality
    • Dual card slots
    • Flip screen
    • Lens selection
    • Price
    • Built in ND
    • In body image stabilization (IBIS)

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

But what really comes closest to being strong at DR, Codec, IBIS and AF is the Olympus E-M1X which nobody bought :)

It has very good dynamic range in Oly LOG, a very robust high bitrate DCI 4K codec, the world's best IBIS system and phase-detect AF that demolishes the GH5's CDAF.

I think the price really hurt it. For $1,000 less I think it'd have gotten a much warmer welcome, especially given how good the footage I've seen looks. I'm jealous of the people that could afford it! 

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some things are missing from the list like colour science. I might make a poll myself.

Color science is very important, especially for things that need quick turnaround. I used to shoot in log/flat picture profiles, but I've been pleased overall with Panasonic's color. I usually will tweak it slightly in post, especially when I am using different cameras, but having good color straight out of camera is really nice. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

None of the consumer stills cameras does 14 stops in video. Canikon manages 13. Sony had something like 11 in the A7sii, might have become better as of late.

Canon stills cameras have nowhere near 13 stops of DR, as well as their soft hd the lack of DR has been the hardest thing to deal with when trying to match them with other cameras. Nikon have always been a bit better and then using log with Fuji xt3, Sony A6300 and A7 with slog (although the 8 bit has issues), and now finally the S1 has brought DR up to that 14 stops benchmark

You also left out higher frame rates, which for many types of work is massively important. 

What I would really benefit from is fantastic 120fps capture (we’re not counting RED, Mavo etc in this) - without the annoyances of noise, aliasing, fuzzy details, lower than perceived resolution, colour weirdness and low bit rates / bit depth. 

I can do it on the EVA1 in 10bit but it’s difficult to use. Noise is hard to manage and if your lens isn’t absolutely extremely pin sharp, the images will be soft and fuzzy. 

The E2 has the best 120fps in its class - I just wish the other mirrorless cameras had it at this level and the FS7 / EVA1 class had better versions.

2 hours ago, ade towell said:

Canon stills cameras have nowhere near 13 stops of DR, as well as their soft hd the lack of DR has been the hardest thing to deal with when trying to match them with other cameras. Nikon have always been a bit better and then using log with Fuji xt3, Sony A6300 and A7 with slog (although the 8 bit has issues), and now finally the S1 has brought DR up to that 14 stops benchmark

The 5d4 is rated around 13 stops for stills iirc, 12 if you use C log 1

46 minutes ago, ade towell said:

was talking about for video - admittedly haven't tried the 5d4 in clog but with my C100 I always found the claimed 12 stops with clog seemed a bit optimistic, it definitely had a lot less DR than the Sony a6300 in slog2

My a6300 was hitting around 12.5 with properly exposed Slog 2