ARRI ALEXA Mini LF

AlexTrinder96

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/29/2019 at 3:28 AM, zerocool22 said:

Exactly. Hoping people all jump on vistavision and all sell their S35 cinema lenses cheap ? So I can do some shopping. 

S35 is here for the long haul, I expect it will be a long long time until we see high end S35 cinema lenses selling for "cheap"

On 3/29/2019 at 5:42 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

Just in terms of ergonomics, I wouldn't want to touch the Alexa Mini without a crew, though.

I've worked on very small Alexa Mini shoots when it has just been the director, DoP, 1st AC, gaffer, and myself (sound). 

On 3/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

I love the Varicam's image–my second favorite to the Alexa, probably. And technically the second best, too, imo, or arguably better if you favor resolution over highlight detail.

Or when you want the lowlight of the Varicam

On 3/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, kye said:

Is that where the majority of ARRI footage ends up?

Genuine question - not trying to be rude or anything - I don't have any visibility of this part of the industry.

I would have thought that Alexas were too expensive for 'free' distribution unless it was advertising materials, and that they'd mostly be used for movies and TV behind paywalls or at least licensed by broadcasters who pay with advertising revenues.  These cameras sure seem expensive to me!

There certainly is some content which ends up on YouTube, I'd have worked on a few like that. 
But yeah, most would be going to TV/paid streaming/TVC/theaters/etc

• 1 year later...

Watched this recently, comparing the Alexa 65 to the Alexa Mini.  

Unlike typical YT hit-and-run equipment reviewers, this is a proper test done with care, rather than just waving the cameras around.

To my eye the 65 has extra shallow DoF, the vignetting and barrel distortion from the lens, and greater resolution of course, but the interesting thing is that the colour science just kills the mini!

I do wonder how much of the 3D rendering could be emulated by matching DoF and applying the vignetting and barrel distortion in post.

....and to those who think that 4K matters, even to Netflix, please recalibrate yourselves....

Camera-chart.001.jpeg?resize=2048,2048&s

Source: https://ymcinema.com/2021/01/20/the-cameras-behind-best-netflix-original-movies-of-2020/

No, it's a flawed comparison. For example, the data pool of the 2019 chart draws from Rotten Tomatoes rated films, the 2020 from a Thriller opinion piece. Next, the RT chart pulled a random number of movies, 43, while the Thriller list collected an equally random, but much fewer, 24 movies.

A meaningful comparison would be choosing the same metrics and meaningful, bias-free sample size. Why not compare all Netflix originals films in 2019 with those in 2020? Because that would actually require work and competent journalism.