Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thebrothersthre3

Focal reducer + adapter possible?

Recommended Posts

Basically I am looking to use a focal reducer to adapt my minolta lenses to my Fuji camera for a full frame field of view. Lens Turbo doesn't make any fuji to minolta mount speedboosters. I am wondering if its possible to buy one of their other speedboosters (canon ef, nikon, or c mount) and use an adapter to attach a minolta lens to it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Basically I am looking to use a focal reducer to adapt my minolta lenses to my Fuji camera for a full frame field of view. Lens Turbo doesn't make any fuji to minolta mount speedboosters. I am wondering if its possible to buy one of their other speedboosters (canon ef, nikon, or c mount) and use an adapter to attach a minolta lens to it? 

Yup should work fine for you. Just get a EOS speedbooster and adapt to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Yup should work fine for you. Just get a EOS speedbooster and adapt to that.

Do you think that will work better then Nikon? I own a couple Nikon lenses so it would be cool to have it for both. But if it would be problematic I'd just get the Canon as I want my minolta lenses adapted more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Do you think that will work better then Nikon? I own a couple Nikon lenses so it would be cool to have it for both. But if it would be problematic I'd just get the Canon as I want my minolta lenses adapted more. 

You cannot get a Minolta to Nikon adapter without a lens element,  degrading the image quality, ESPECIALLY with speedboosters.
I recommend EOS mount because almost every mount can adapt to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mercer said:

Minolta lenses also need a corrective glass adapter to work with the EF mount.

Do you already own a lot of Minolta glass?

Yeah I really like my minolta lens lineup, enough where I'd just give up the focal reducer if it can't happen. What kind of corrective glass adapter are you talking about. I am unfamiliar with that term unfortunately. Total noob on this adapting glass stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I really like my minolta lens lineup, enough where I'd just give up the focal reducer if it can't happen. What kind of corrective glass adapter are you talking about. I am unfamiliar with that term unfortunately. Total noob on this adapting glass stuff.

Basically, if the flange distance from the lens mount to the sensor is shorter than the mount you are adapting to you cannot get focus, so adapter companies made lens adapters that have corrective glass to make up for the distance... it’s kind of a telephoto lens inside the adapter. Often these lenses inside the adapter are of poor quality.

If you look at this list, basically any lens mount under your camera mount can be adapted to your camera...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nikkor F mount has slightly longer flange focal distance than the Minolta MD mount.  So, it might be best to get a focal reducer that attaches a Minolta Lens to a Fuji camera, and then figure out a way to temporarily attach (and coarsely shim) a Nikkor mount to that focal reducer.

 

Or, just buy two focal reducers -- one for Minolta to Fuji and another for Nikkor to Fuji.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through basically the same thing with m4/3... the Minoltas are great glass, but unfortunately just a bit too short of a flange to adapt to any modern SLR mount. I've never found the cheap boosters to be up to snuff- flaring, soft corners, low contrast, backfocus going out because the adjustment screw goes loose, sloppy fits... just a lot of frustration. I went through a few and eventually just had to plunk down on two used Metabones boosters, one for the MDs and one for my Nikon glass.

Then the A7III came out, and I realized that it was actually way cheaper than a GH5 with the two Metabones, with less fuss. Plus now I can use an ND Throttle adapter for outdoors stuff, and have even less fuss with external NDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a brand that does Fuji to Minolta but its kind of crappy one. The Lens Turbo II's are actually really nice, close to metabones quality at least from comparisons tests I've seen. 

I don't love full frame enough to switch to Sony and lose out on 10bit. I guess I'll just go with a regular adapter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lens Turbo II's were fine in terms of resolution/sharpness and color for me... but they went downhill fast when shooting into bright lights or sun, or even just most moderately backlit subjects. Flaring and hazing galore. And the "blue dot" problem, while much better in the second gen models, would still pop up pretty frequently. At first I blamed it on the MDs being old and lacking modern coatings, but the Nikon version had all the same problems with modern Nikon glass.

10bit is nice, but at the time I was on a G85, and my choice was either go GH5 and stay frustrated on the photo side of things, or go A7III and be happy there and stay in roughly the same territory videowise, and be able to actually use 100% of my lenses without hassles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aldolega said:

The Lens Turbo II's were fine in terms of resolution/sharpness and color for me... but they went downhill fast when shooting into bright lights or sun, or even just most moderately backlit subjects. Flaring and hazing galore. And the "blue dot" problem, while much better in the second gen models, would still pop up pretty frequently. At first I blamed it on the MDs being old and lacking modern coatings, but the Nikon version had all the same problems with modern Nikon glass.

10bit is nice, but at the time I was on a G85, and my choice was either go GH5 and stay frustrated on the photo side of things, or go A7III and be happy there and stay in roughly the same territory videowise, and be able to actually use 100% of my lenses without hassles.

Yeah its just something cool to have for me, not that I really need it. Already been investing in Fuji lenses. The Minolta with a simple adapter will still be useful for when I need manual focus, or just for a unique look. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buggz said:

You can get the Minolta SR lens mount changed to EOS.  I have my Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2 changed to EOS.  Works good.

There is a guy on Fred Miranda forum that does good work.

No doubt other places too.

interesting, I wonder if its as easy as taking the back off and switching. I have a Nikon rear mount I'll have to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know with certainty that the mounts on the Minolta MC W.Rokkor-HH 35 mm f/1.8, all versions of the 58/1.2, and the 85mm f/1.7 MC Rokkor can be changed to EOS.

I believe I have seen the 45mm changed also.

I have some changed, and duplicates that are not changed, as I am using the Metabones Speedbooster for the native Minolta SR mounts on my Fuji X-T2.

I use the EOS changed ones with my Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster on my GH5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...