FCPX blows Premiere and Resolve in performance

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting video.  

The way that these results seem to be jumping around between Max's videos seem to indicate that he's gradually working stuff out, like the XPS on charge vs battery, but I think there's also an element of moving goalposts as things change with software and firmware updates too.

The fact that Resolve is much better on the MBP than XPS may be short lived if the Resolve Windows team just haven't released their optimisations yet.  These computers are relatively similar in performance (the video card being the main difference) so it looks like optimisation differences, which could be improved at any time.

I'm glad I'm not in the market for a new computer, there's a lot of opportunity for buyers regret if an update comes along and changes things!

The Dell does throttle the CPU on battery but I have to ask who is actually going to be doing any serious editing just on battery?  There are various battery settings in both windows and the Dell power command app that I have no idea if he set up optimally. Also there are various settings in the Nvidia contol panel which effect how fast it works with video processing and no indication if these were optimised. The basic problem with these laptops not addressed here is that they will both throttle when set to do longer processing tasks like rendering cache files or optimised media which are common tasks you need to do when working with compromised systems and having to do workarounds (Laptops being generaly inferior in CPU and GPU etc to desktops) and throttling is totally unavoidable in laptops due to the physical impossibility of cooling in a thin design. Whatever you choose - Mac or PC I'd say avoid the top end i9 models and spend the money saved on an eGPU system which will mean you can (with Resolve especially) do lengthy high intensity processing tasks without throttling issues.

2 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The Dell does throttle the CPU on battery but I have to ask who is actually going to be doing any serious editing just on battery?  There are various battery settings in both windows and the Dell power command app that I have no idea if he set up optimally. Also there are various settings in the Nvidia contol panel which effect how fast it works with video processing and no indication if these were optimised. The basic problem with these laptops not addressed here is that they will both throttle when set to do longer processing tasks like rendering cache files or optimised media which are common tasks you need to do when working with compromised systems and having to do workarounds (Laptops being generaly inferior in CPU and GPU etc to desktops) and throttling is totally unavoidable in laptops due to the physical impossibility of cooling in a thin design. Whatever you choose - Mac or PC I'd say avoid the top end i9 models and spend the money saved on an eGPU system which will mean you can (with Resolve especially) do lengthy high intensity processing tasks without throttling issues.

People who are shooting on the go and uploading with short time frames are editing on battery.  This is both YouTubers and perhaps mobile documentary makers on very short deadlines (not sure if this is a thing?).  I've seen ENG people editing in the field, but the setups I've seen are laptops in vehicles, so they could have an inverter and be on charge, so this probably doesn't apply to them.

I would also edit my travel and home videos on the train during my commute, and I shoot in 305Mbit 4K, but I realise I don't represent a huge percentage of the users out there! :)

To whom that yet didn't try it, I recommend using of Edius on PC... It is by far the fastest editor for Windows platform, only one between all NLE that I can use for editing in 4k timeline, even without proxies, with old Dell Precission m4600 laptop (32gb Ram, Quadro 2000m 2Gb). Late versions (8.53 to 9.x) have proper HLG source support (also Arri or Canon C100 etc. files) - and, what greatly impressed me, is remarcable-accurate reading of GH5 HLG 2020 files and than translating to precise 709 rendering. Using of luts is also quick and easy.

Even Primare CC task is very fluid with new Primary Correction tool with massive collection of highly smooth responding and precise sliders even for help in curve adjusting.

For more complex grading task - although I found newer Edius is extremely capable and fast in grading itself - simplest way is to export timeline as EDL and than instantly import/read it in Resolve with the same clips in the Media pool.

As example,  this pleasant relax clip was edited in Edius