Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IronFilm

Behind the Scenes footage

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Grimor said:

Just saw it, and was thinking about you and your mic placements, @IronFilm.:grin:

You're not the first person to send that to me today! :-o

 

But I came across it myself already quite a while ago ;-)

 

7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Haha, not only you can mount in there, but you can hide it as well as have a wind breaker for it... 

I worked on a parody LotR web series a while ago in Wellington. And their "Gandalf" had an amazing beard for that purpose!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/13/2018 at 1:28 PM, IronFilm said:

I must be mad. 

 

 

Then after a very late finish last night with the other team, I got up early in the morning to help on sound post for my main team for 48Hours! We're getting closer, the finish line is creeping up.


This film is now online:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This film is now online:

As they say in real estate...  location location location!!

You're right about what can be done with a little equipment and a big dollop of knowing what you're doing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kye said:

You're right about what can be done with a little equipment and a big dollop of knowing what you're doing :)

Yup, the DoP Jared knows what he is doing! Plus he got a handful of other people on his team too to help out (like me! For a little bit). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noooo..... that would be a bad idea!

As for my other team, I can't share their film just yet because.....  we made the Auckland Finals! Being one of the very select few to beat out over 150 other teams in Auckland :-o 

Am a little surprised we made the finals, because the standard was so very high of some of the other teams, but I'll take this! It keeps my streak alive of going to the Finals for now three years running. (with a different team each year! As I keep on changing... the one constant is me! ha)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Noooo..... that would be a bad idea!

As for my other team, I can't share their film just yet because.....  we made the Auckland Finals! Being one of the very select few to beat out over 150 other teams in Auckland ?

Am a little surprised we made the finals, because the standard was so very high of some of the other teams, but I'll take this! It keeps my streak alive of going to the Finals for now three years running. (with a different team each year! As I keep on changing... the one constant is me! ha)

Congrats :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although post isn't my specialist area, I've been doing a fair bit of ADR/foley recording on the side lately, did some ADR with Doug Brooks last night, and this vlog was some ADR & foley I did with Logan Marshall a couple of weeks ago:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Tried doing a vlog in 4K for the first time with my Samsung S7 Active, nope! The 2nd half of this video had very very mangled audio, so much so I had to crop that last segment of the video out after uploading it. Wonder why, maybe the Micro SD card it is recording to is too slow?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this, would kinda like to make it like that:

 

 

image.thumb.png.411a97b5ebdb5b31827e795b08a3d454.pngimage.thumb.png.94b23ba69a165fc4383fa49a89a01a5b.png


But I'll probably just slum it like this (but surely horizontal boxes make more sense than vertical? Then three could be fitted in, instead of two, and would make for a larger surface to mix on! Win-win.)
 

 

image.thumb.png.3bb6d8749fc7c173e6d8327e5071b27d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Saw this, would kinda like to make it like that:

 

 

image.thumb.png.411a97b5ebdb5b31827e795b08a3d454.pngimage.thumb.png.94b23ba69a165fc4383fa49a89a01a5b.png


But I'll probably just slum it like this (but surely horizontal boxes make more sense than vertical? Then three could be fitted in, instead of two, and would make for a larger surface to mix on! Win-win.)
 

 

image.thumb.png.3bb6d8749fc7c173e6d8327e5071b27d.png

And you wonder why they don't pay you shit for money! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool idea.

A few thoughts...  cable ties might be useful - they're stronger than elastic straps but also less permanent than glue/screws, and Id imagine that something like this would be tweaked and changed over time.  Also, having the equipment like mixers etc anchored to the shelves somehow, or having shelves with a lip around the outside might be useful if you're wheeling the trolley across uneven ground as they'd prevent things from bouncing out.

I'm not sure how many times you're on a set without mains power (maybe never) but that bottom container would be a perfect place for a battery and inverter.  I've seen buskers with that kind of setup powering a small amp / mixer.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kye said:

I'm not sure how many times you're on a set without mains power (maybe never) but that bottom container would be a perfect place for a battery and inverter.  I've seen buskers with that kind of setup powering a small amp / mixer.

Exactly my plan. 
And I'm never running from mains power. 
 

10 hours ago, kye said:

A few thoughts...  cable ties might be useful - they're stronger than elastic straps but also less permanent than glue/screws, and Id imagine that something like this would be tweaked and changed over time.  Also, having the equipment like mixers etc anchored to the shelves somehow, or having shelves with a lip around the outside might be useful if you're wheeling the trolley across uneven ground as they'd prevent things from bouncing out.

For now I'll prefer bungee cords for ease of adjustment and so it can be taken apart for transporting. But might use zip ties if needed. 

Hopefully also I can figure out a hinge method to swing away the shelves for when being transported. 

And yes, a lip on the shelves would be nice too. I'm going to put carpet or at least a rubber padding on them too, to help make them be quieter (I'm in the sound department after all!).

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

And you wonder why they don't pay you shit for money! ?

Huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

For now I'll prefer bungee cords for ease of adjustment and so it can be taken apart for transporting. But might use zip ties if needed. 

Hopefully also I can figure out a hinge method to swing away the shelves for when being transported. 

There are systems with vertical slots and shelves that clip into those slots - I think that was what you were looking at in the video?

The shelf brackets look like this (for some reason the image is upside-down):

156b72cc-cfef-455f-838e-0749fb846d40.jpg

They would allow some flexibility in placement, would be sturdy when assembled, and would be relatively easy to dismantle for transportation.

These are probably what you were considering anyway :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kye said:

There are systems with vertical slots and shelves that clip into those slots - I think that was what you were looking at in the video?

The shelf brackets look like this (for some reason the image is upside-down):

156b72cc-cfef-455f-838e-0749fb846d40.jpg

They would allow some flexibility in placement, would be sturdy when assembled, and would be relatively easy to dismantle for transportation.

These are probably what you were considering anyway :)

That is exactly what I showed in the video! Except the tricky nature of selfie filming on the fly means I didn't quite show it exactly as I should have. 

 

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You show at shoots looking like a cheap ass, they think you don't Need or want any money. Physiology 101.

That first cart I showed is suitable for a high end pro. 

The second one is still ok, just would help if the cart and the boxes both matched (perhaps if both get spay painted black, rather than being two different colors). 

Certainly having any sort of dedicated sound cart which is well equipment then will set you apart from low budget bag guys. 

I'd dispute that you'd think this makes me look "non-pro", likely you just don't have the recent experience on film sets of this scale with sound departments. 

But this is not about "appearances" anyway (but would be a bonus?), rather that a well equipped cart will actually allow me to do my job better together with a boom op. 

The same reason you see big 32" director's monitors set up. 
Or DIT carts. 
Or AC follow carts. 
Or any of the many other departments' dedicated infrastructure they bring with them. 

It helps them do their jobs better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right angle connectors (be it lemo, hirose, or whatever) has been the theme of my week. Have it when I don't want it, don't have it when I want it.

 


The start of my adventures with right angle connectors began a week ago:
 


My other updates about my sound cart build:

 


Been busy on other projects this week as well:
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...