BIG NEWS - Hands on with CONTINUOUS raw recording on Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really depends what you are shooting.... For music videos and similar.... 40 seconds is fine.

No, definitely not.

It is incredibly, incredibly naive to base any assumption on shooting lengths based on final edit lengths.  

People are not robots.  They do not instantly come to ready at the same time.  They do not get their head into the game at the same time. The more people involved the more ramp-up time is needed.  40sec isn't enough time to slate in some cases.  If you're doing something difficult or emotionally charged, you may have been rolling a minute or more before a take actually begins.  

If ML does nothing more than where current development is at today, they have to get true continuous recording or this thing is a big toy.

40 seconds!! .......I can hear Black Magic breathing a big sigh of relief!!

Well, I think Andrew is right about the file-spanning issue being at least as fixable as it was on the GH2.  That sorta begs the question why they didn't just implement a trivial fix already, given the nature of the hack itself and the size of the data being written.  

Worse than the limit is folks thinking that, if the limit isn't lifted, it's a perfectly workable caveat.  That's just absurd.

No, definitely not.

It is incredibly, incredibly naive to base any assumption on shooting lengths based on final edit lengths.  

People are not robots.  They do not instantly come to ready at the same time.  They do not get their head into the game at the same time. The more people involved the more ramp-up time is needed. 

Why do people insist on pushing their methods onto someone else, as if there is only one way to do something?

Maybe you and i work in very different ways, on very different clients.... As long as i'm getting paid and the client is happy... then surely my methods are as valid as yours? Even if i jump through a million hoops to make it work.

What would you prefer, if you had a blank canvas.... a 5dIII with this raw hack or a HVX200? Some will take the 1st and do a great job, some will take the 2nd and do a great job.... Some will do a bad job regardless.

This is not true, and even if it were, almost none of the content being screened is 4K. Even Skyfall, which Sony used to push 4K projection, was sourced from a 2K master.
And 1080p TVs are hugely more widespread, but that doesn't change the fact that all TV broadcasts are 720p.

I didn't say most of the content is 4K, I said the "Hardware" is 4K. To put it simply, if the movie theater in your area has shown a 3-D feature, then most likely it has a 4K projector. They foresee 4K standardization soon.

I didn't say most of the content is 4K, I said the "Hardware" is 4K. To put it simply, if the movie theater in your area has shown a 3-D feature, then most likely it has a 4K projector. They foresee 4K standardization soon.

I know for a fact that plenty of the 3D theatres in my area (inner Sydney) use 2K projectors.
4K projectors are still in the minority. The situation may be different in the US thanks to the deal AMC made with Sony, but worldwide a lot of cinemas have yet to upgrade.

I'm sorry, just, no.

You either haven't worked on enough stuff, or been around production enough, or you haven't worked on something where you and your camera and your camera's problems aren't the center of the universe.

Like i said, different ways, different clients... some of us are 1-2 man teams who make all the creative decisions, pre-prod... shoot... edit. We can make stuff happen. If that doesn't suit your way of working, then fine. I don't really see why you would care about how or why someone 1000 of miles from you might use a camera.... But knock yourself out.

I know for a fact that plenty of the 3D theatres in my area (inner Sydney) use 2K projectors.
4K projectors are still in the minority. The situation may be different in the US thanks to the deal AMC made with Sony, but worldwide a lot of cinemas have yet to upgrade.

Lots of people outside the US were smart enough to say "no" to GMO foods and all kinds of other stuff sold to Americans as good and necessary and useful.  American consumers are wholly ignorant beasts, by and large.  I credit the internet (along with financially hard times) for GM and Ford's move in just the last couple years to start selling cars to Americans that are near as good as what they've been selling to Europeans for more than a decade.

This isn't "perceived detail", or false detail.  This is blades of grass:

316th14.png

...that's unaltered 5D on top, BMCC on the bottom, 1:1 to each other @ 200%

29agsl.png

...if it were "false" detail then further enhancing wouldn't further resolve maintained blade structure, here still at 1:1 to each other, 5D on top and enhanced BMCC on the bottom (mild de-moire + my LCE scheme).

m4z20.png

...and here we have 5D on top and BMCC on the bottom scaled down to 1080.  The comparison would be even worse for the 5D if you were to go the other direction. 

Where is the rest of the video. Is it 1 frame video with 1inch viewing distance ? pixelpeeper ;).

LOL, they "forsee".

They were sold.  Please.  They were convinced that audiences were going to come to expect to see that stupid logo, even though they were rarely going to see a film actually finished at 4K.  It's sales, nothing more.

And yet, most cameras are now shooting 4K. Just wondering, why are you fighting progress so much man? If I didn't know any better I'd asume you would rather send the industry back to film.

Where is the rest of the video. Is it 1 frame video with 1inch viewing distance ? pixelpeeper ;).

They posted one frame of DNG, dude, for both cameras.  Let the punters who wanted to declare the G6 a horribly, horribly soft camera compared to the GH2 based on compressed video uploads of no providence argue over detail and image clarity via streaming sources.

Lots of people outside the US were smart enough to say "no" to GMO foods and all kinds of other stuff sold to Americans as good and necessary and useful.  American consumers are wholly ignorant beasts, by and large.  I credit the internet (along with financially hard times) for GM and Ford's move in just the last couple years to start selling cars to Americans that are near as good as what they've been selling to Europeans for more than a decade.

I'm guessing you have bigger issues than "RAW" and "4K".