Canon Full Frame Mirrorless is just around the corner?

IronFilm

5 hours ago, Django said:

I dunno our go to boom operator swears by this big old tascam unit (looks almost analog!). sounds great but his mic is probably worth 10 times the recorder.

Tascam HS-P82 perhaps?

It is easy enough to justify the current equipment you own and use, but it is totally different trying to make an argument for someone else to buy it!

I mean, the Tascam HS-P82 is pretty nice and decent for its time, but you'd have to be bonkers to pay that price for it now in 2018:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657379-REG/Tascam_HS_P82_HS_P82_8_Channel_Field_Audio.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-HS-P82-8-Channel-Field-Audio-Recorder-040/401489772557?hash=item5d7aa7c00d:g:DKEAAOSwhfdaexT0

Even secondhand, hell no, not paying a price that high for it!

Which is my point, there seems to be no "secret gems" when it comes to audio recorders for film shoots, they're either outdated or/and overpriced. 

5 hours ago, Django said:

I don't know much about field equipment but spent quite a lotta time in pro audio studios and the amount of vintage "hidden gem" rack units far surpasses what's to be seen in commercial video production equipment imo (except maybe vintage glass). of course UAD has capitalized on that with their excellent plug-in emulations.

For sure, in the studio world I reckon more "hidden gems" exist, but that is a massively bigger world than the production sound world for film which is a smaller niche and less space for a gem to hide away in. 

Additionally none of those rack units need to care about power requirements, weight, or size!

Three factors which are extremely important when out in the field, and have been getting much better over the years as time progresses forward. 

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I hope you do the Sonosax, or whatever move you want soon. NZ seems like a healthy market with substantial space to increase your salary and equipment value,

Hopefully! I feel/hope my trajectory is going in the right direction if I work at it. 

Am thinking though I might apply for a job at the local rental house. Could be beneficial in a number of ways, and I'd really enjoy it. 

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I hope you do the Sonosax, or whatever move you want soon. NZ seems like a healthy market with substantial space to increase your salary and equipment value, and maybe in a couple of years you will need an experienced assistant, offering old school experience and academic knowledge to your team! 

hahaha ;-) And would this hypothetical person also be bringing along a handful of raw recording NX cameras as well? :lol:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Tascam HS-P82 perhaps?

hahaha ;-) And would this hypothetical person also be bringing along a handful of raw recording NX cameras as well? :lol:

I know nothing about NX raw, but for sure, that hypothetical person can bring along his Sony wireless, so you could mic the whole Northern Island!

Believe it or not, this Tascam is the most used by top "old school" professionals here. Great machine though.

@webrunner5 very beautiful, and I know from first hand, that Irish women are very strong will-ed, and not, ever boring! From your description, seems that you are very lucky had her in your life.

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I know nothing about NX raw,

Guess we need to ask a kid about. (who was just "borrowing his father's account"......   sounds familiar?)

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Believe it or not, this Tascam is the most used by top "old school" professionals here. Great machine though.

Really? As the HS-P82 was pretty much the lower end for its time, guess Sound Devices etc never made any traction even in pre recession times?