New Kinefinity Mavo and MavoLF announced

johnnyd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Well no, just like an a6500 with a focal reducer is not the same as an a7S or a7R

Plus we still don't know everything about the Mavo LF, such as what is its price?! Or all its specs. 

Only spec difference out there so far is native Iso and other sensor. The different sensor could be a huge quality difference though. 

• 1 month later...

Geoff Boyle:

Kinefinity Mavo: it fires up pretty quickly but some of the menus are very confusing, separate settings for EI and ISO?? It’s not ready for general consumption yet, they need to get their post workflow sorted. When they do it could be a very good camera.

I would rate the camera at EI 800 with a highlight latitude of 4 stops, I’m not sure what the shadow latitude is because of post issues but it looks like it could be very good indeed.
Note: I haven’t been able to do a full and good assessment of this camera or the Terra because of the post workflow issues.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

A really comprehensive review by Matthew Allard.

And an extremely flawed review too. In at least a couple of ways:
1) he seems to be making comparisons of it against doco/ENG cameras (perhaps because that is Matthew's main background. But still, it is is very weird for him to do this!! As that isn't Kinefinity's target market at all. They're chasing the same market as say a RED Weapon or an ARRI Mini is intended for, and thus should be compared against those)
2) he completely fails to mention at all that he merely had a very early review copy, not what a final production model will be in the future. (and it boggles my mind he didn't mention this, although he has clarified it somewhat since then with an update)

And then there are a bunch of other minor issues he has, such as flat out being wrong about the Kinefinity batteries (as the Sony BP-U30 batteries are 100% compatible). Which when he is getting wrong simple basic facts like this, it makes you question everything else about the review. 

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And an extremely flawed review too. In at least a couple of ways:
1) he seems to be making comparisons of it against doco/ENG cameras (perhaps because that is Matthew's main background. But still, it is is very weird for him to do this!! As that isn't Kinefinity's target market at all. They're chasing the same market as say a RED Weapon or an ARRI Mini is intended for, and thus should be compared against those)
2) he completely fails to mention at all that he merely had a very early review copy, not what a final production model will be in the future. (and it boggles my mind he didn't mention this, although he has clarified it somewhat since then with an update)

You are sorely mistaken. He looks at it from all angles, incl. documentary, live events, narrative and so on. He focuses on aspects like handling, image quality, codecs, reliability and customer support, all of which are of great interest to any working photographer regardless of specialty.

You also misrepresent what Matthew Allard takes pains to point out in his review: that at no point during their correspondence did Kinefinity inform Matthew that he had a pre-production camera.

They also said they were working on firmware updates to address the problems he encountered. If they had an issue with his testing procedure, I’m quite certain they would have politely told him so in their response to his review. Instead, they will be sending him a production version with the firmware updates for a follow-up review.

You know I always try to be polite in my comments ?, but as can be seen by anyone who takes the time to read Matthew’s extremely thorough report, he was never told that he had a pre-production camera, and your second point is an outright fabrication.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

He looks at it from all angles, incl. documentary, live events, narrative and so on.

Of which all of those (but one) are not Kinefinity's core target markets. 
Thus it is indeed unfair to attack the camera for not meeting standards it was not designed for anyway!
Did the ARRI ALEXA LF get criticized for not being a vloggers camera? Not being suitable for weddings? Etc etc
Of course not. 

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

You also misrepresent what Matthew Allard takes pains to point out in his review: that at no point during their correspondence did Kinefinity inform Matthew that he had a pre-production camera.

That is what he claims. Which I have a healthy skeptism about. And even if true, after what he experienced, surely any common sense person would think to flick an email back to check what is up?

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Of which all of those (but one) are not Kinefinity's core target markets. 
Thus it is indeed unfair to attack the camera for not meeting standards it was not designed for anyway!
Did the ARRI ALEXA LF get criticized for not being a vloggers camera? Not being suitable for weddings? Etc etc
Of course not. 

That is what he says. Which I have a healthy skeptism about. And even if true, after what he experienced, surely any common sense person would think to flick an email back to check what is up?

Again, wrong! He specifically states in his review that he reported his findings to Kinefinity. What is up with you today?

Anyhow, you just called Matthew Allard a liar, so I think we should end this here and now.

I didn't call him a liar. 

But I understand how when you're very busy the details can be missed or glossed over when spread out over months of conversation, especially if you're trying to communicate in Chinglish across vastly different time zones. 

9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Again, wrong! He specifically states in his review that he reported his findings to Kinefinity.

After he published his review. (I got the impression we found out a the same time, or even sooner, than the CEO did)
Which is why the review then very quickly got an update, pointing out a couple of things he missed out. (but this could have very easily have been taking care of before he published his flawed review)

His review is detailed, thorough and comprehensive.

And their ‘Chinglish’ seems pretty understandable to me, better in fact than many native English speakers I’ve come across.

“We’re very concerned to hear about the reliability and HDMI issue in the camera Matt used. It’s a pity that the camera we sent to Matt is a pre-production model which was just for functional verification and not for field usage (all camera manufacturers have such pre-production models).  So this is not representative of the production cameras we ship to our customers. Kinefinity has full and rigorous QA process on every camera, and these especially focus on stability. We’re planning to supply Matt with another camera to test that is 100% production so he can better evaluate. There are many improvements on MAVO to fix the minor issues Matt talked about, with the latest firmware KineOS6.1 and we appreciate his feedback and suggestions – as with all our customers, users and beta testers. Anyway, I would like to thank Matt for spending a great deal of time on this MAVO review and the long article. It clearly shows Newsshooter supports new companies and innovative products as well.” – Jihua Zheng, Kinefinity

26 minutes ago, jonpais said:

And their ‘Chinglish’ seems pretty understandable to me, better in fact than many native English speakers I’ve come across.

It depends. Sometimes in short bursts, like that, you don't notice the gaps but over longer conversations you realize they're missing pieces of info as you just talk right past each other. I have this happen an awful lot with my girlfriend. But if you say only briefly met her at party and had a brief chat, then you wouldn't notice it like I do who lives with her every day. 

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It depends. Sometimes in short bursts, like that, you don't notice the gaps but over longer conversations you realize they're missing pieces of info as you just talk right past each other. I have this happen an awful lot with my girlfriend. But if you say only briefly met her at party and had a brief chat, then you wouldn't notice it like I do who lives with her every day. 

girlfriend or not, his review was extremely fair.  He put it through its paces, as Jon said.

also, it's a free review.    so don't complain.  you spent no money on his hours and hours of work on the review that he puts out for free, or maybe for some advertising on their page.  

excited to test out the camera when it becomes available.