Not much love for Nikon D850

Andrew Reid

Andrew thank you for you words as always. What do you think about the 850 over or under the D5? I've been using Nikon since D90 days. However for video I've been on the GH bandwagons. Have been offered an deal on a D5? I have a huge stock of Nikon glass and wonder if it's better to go with the D5 with any firmware updates or  less money on two Gh5s?

Thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Hdfilmmaker said:

I have a huge stock of Nikon glass and wonder if it's better to go with the D5 with any firmware updates or  less money on two Gh5s?

Personally I'd prefer a GH5S & GH5 with Nikon glass on it, over a single D5

21 hours ago, Hdfilmmaker said:

Andrew thank you for you words as always. What do you think about the 850 over or under the D5? I've been using Nikon since D90 days. However for video I've been on the GH bandwagons. Have been offered an deal on a D5? I have a huge stock of Nikon glass and wonder if it's better to go with the D5 with any firmware updates or  less money on two Gh5s?

Thoughts?

D850 has a better bitrate, better lowlight, and you can shoot both Full Frame and Super35 on it. D5 does not have Full Frame shooting.  Honestly I would get the D850 to take advantage of the lenses you have.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Hdfilmmaker said:

Thoughts?

I'd go for D850.

D5 is a pro stills DSLR, and good for Super 35mm video but it lacks the extra video features of the D850.

So i heard about the D850 when it came out, and was willing to pull the trigger on it and sell my a6500 and D800 to cover it and as soon as i read what Andrew wrote about it, it confirmed what i was expecting. Fast forward 3months and i did my first little job with it and really liked what it came out of it, i am still trying to figure out how to get the footage from the mavic pro to look cleaner and softer without becoming too mooshy so excuse that part, but the colors straight from the camera are awesome and the detail on the 120fps are amazing coming from an a6500 this is night and day

Nikon still has their Nikon D850 out of stock, EIGHT MONTHS later after release!

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/02/nikon-d850-filmmakers-kit-now-in-stock-in-the-us.aspx/

Almost 8 months after the official announcement, the Nikon D850 camera is still out of stock in the US: B&H | Adorama | Amazon.

Looks like the D850 is getting a lot of love!! At least from the photographers. Likely will go down as another classic, just like the D800 was. 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Something I have noticed...

Nobody talks about this cam! Panasonic, Fuji, Sony... tons of topics on forums everywhere. Nikon? tumbleweeds.

I suppose everyone interested in video went out and bought a A7R III or GH5 instead!?

Thing is, D850's 4K and stills are better than both of them, and so is the lens line-up.

Yes it lacks IBIS and good video AF.

But so does the Canon 1D C.

The D850 shoots a comparable image, yet without a crop and without MJPEG file sizes.

I can really see myself picking the D850 above the A7R III if it carries on performing like it does... Such a clean codec, so little moire in full frame 4k by comparison to the Sony, and way better colour.

Top of my list too!

• 1 year later...