Music Licensing - Paid Advertising - $$$$$?!?

silvertonesx24

So many of our clients are brand productions, only seen internally or for special presentations. I find the MusicBeds and Position Musics very useful and affordable for music licensing. Can't beat $200-400 and a temp track to use for client approvals.

Recently I had a client contact us about taking what we produced and putting it on air. No big deal, right? Well I go to check into the music license (the same piece we already licensed) and the company wants 40x what we paid to license the music for online in the first place! They want as much for the music license as the client was planning to pay in media for the local TV spot.

Does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions for music license portals that aren't so insultingly expensive just because the client is putting a little bit of money behind it to promote it?

Not everyone advertising these days is Unilever for crying out loud

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.audioblocks.com/

Royalty Free stock music. Not best quality, but very nice and very affordable.

Most safe are tracks of composers who died over 70 years ago which automatically release some of their family right.

They have free 7 day trial (download 20 tracks per day for free and keep forever) and many discounts (~ 100$ per year of access).

When I published something on Youtube and automatically got claim for music right - I presented License from Audioblocks and direct link to audio file - claim was released.

I use epidemic sound for music but the best and cheapest way to get music is to hire a producer to make a custom track for you. Go on SoundCloud and find an artist and reach out to them. I’ve hired producers to make custom songs for me and it’ll cost like $300-$700 a track. Real easy. Lmk if you need names. Living in Nashville helps

12 minutes ago, Jacek said:

Most safe are tracks of composers who died over 70 years ago which automatically release some of their family right.

Just to clarify, there are two things here, the rights of the composition and the rights of the recording. Both has to be as old (exact age varies from country to country though) to be free.

1 hour ago, silvertonesx24 said:

So many of our clients are brand productions, only seen internally or for special presentations. I find the MusicBeds and Position Musics very useful and affordable for music licensing. Can't beat $200-400 and a temp track to use for client approvals.

Recently I had a client contact us about taking what we produced and putting it on air. No big deal, right? Well I go to check into the music license (the same piece we already licensed) and the company wants 40x what we paid to license the music for online in the first place! They want as much for the music license as the client was planning to pay in media for the local TV spot.

Does anyone have any alternatives or suggestions for music license portals that aren't so insultingly expensive just because the client is putting a little bit of money behind it to promote it?

Not everyone advertising these days is Unilever for crying out loud

PM’ing you about an idea if you’re interested.

On 23.01.2018 at 8:20 PM, atomkatten said:

Just to clarify, there are two things here, the rights of the composition and the rights of the recording. Both has to be as old (exact age varies from country to country though) to be free.

Yes (there is also related law of artistic performance if he is not the composer),  completely free (in so called "public domain").

But it is very complex with lot of nuances and you never know if somebody will not accuse you (co-author, text author, different publisher...), unless you buy (with personal license) and record a music directly from an artist.

And when you buy Royalty Free License, it should cover both rights,  but you never know if somebody didn't make a mistake.. Most safe is to assume, that the right of the recording is covered correctly and the other part check twice or choose something free in this regard - if you publish in internet without geo-blocking, it is wise to use most restricted law (US and EU countries signed the same international regulations, so the law is similar with longest time from death I have seen was 70 years. Don't know about other countries).

4 hours ago, Jacek said:

Yes (there is also related law of artistic performance if he is not the composer),  completely free (in so called "public domain").

But it is very complex with lot of nuances and you never know if somebody will not accuse you (co-author, text author, different publisher...), unless you buy (with personal license) and record a music directly from an artist.

This is one reason why people will buy E&O Insurance. 

On 1/23/2018 at 12:34 PM, Grimor said:

https://artlist.io

Never used it, but they said only 199/year for unlimited high quality songs and whatever you do with.

Includes license for films/tv/adds/games/apps...

I second the Artlist recommendation. I've been using it for the past year or so, and for $199 a year, unlimited tracks, unlimited use, it's a no brainer. We've since started using it at work as well, and they actually have very usable, nice-sounding tracks. By far the best bang for buck, especially when you're churning out a lot of projects.