Jump to content
webrunner5

New, Yeah New Kodak Super 8mm Camera.

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bummer that they couldn't produce a better reel to accompany that release. Super 8 is a really fun to shoot and has a unique look to it.

This camera is overpriced.There are a lot of really nice S8 cameras for 250-1000. This is 16:9 but still overpriced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much overpriced, I am shooting in a canon 814 xls for a lot less and the image is really good, the only issue is the realtime sound recording since super 8 cameras are very noise, anyway, you can always do foley and still the cost is a lot less.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kodak 10 years late with this idea...such a missed opportunity to not have used classic cine camera designs from the past. That at least could create a desirable/ collectible camera for a relatively niche market. That would be of some justification for the insane price and ‘gotchas’ that the Kodak ecosystem will force users to comply with.

I’ve not looked into it properly, but it appears that the Kodak s8 camera is a pretty close copy of the previously released Logmar camera. The Logmar looks better, but also expensive considering how much existing excellent s8 cameras go for on the used market.

 http://www.logmar.dk/

I’d much rather spend the same money on a Beaulieu 6008 PRO and iscorama!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hans Punk said:

I’d much rather spend the same money on a Beaulieu 6008 PRO and iscorama!

Well here is your chance on the cheap!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAULIEU-6008-S-film-movie-camera-Schneider-Optivaron-1-4-6-70mm-zoom-lens-as-is/182725105528?hash=item2a8b43d778:g:NEEAAOSwwe9ZmZF4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

I’ve not looked into it properly, but it appears that the Kodak s8 camera is a pretty close copy of the previously released Logmar camera. The Logmar looks better, but also expensive considering how much existing excellent s8 cameras go for on the used market.

The 16:9 aspect ratio, lcd, and 24fps/sync sound (if that is the case,) add up in price. Pro8mm sells wide gate Super 8 cameras with sync sound that arent cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kodak missed the point! Bring back reversal film (Kodachrome, E100D) as soon as possible. And a cheap good camera like the Canon 310 and easy to use projector. The magic of motion picture film comes with the projection. All the hassle and the costs to watch the film on Vimeo, Youtube... For small digital screen digital video is just fine!

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.de/2015/03/leicina-special-best-super-8-camera-ever.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have already brought back reversal film. And others companies kept selling it. I can buy both color and b&w reversal film at my local store. Chem to develop it as well. It never went away.

Kodachrome looks great but is very expensive and annoying to develop. And it could be archived more than 30-40 years before it started to fall apart.

Btw, s8 scanners are now $500 used. So the entire production chain is totally possible at home for very little money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

They have already brought back reversal film. And others companies kept selling it. I can buy both color and b&w reversal film at my local store. Chem to develop it as well. It never went away.

Kodachrome looks great but is very expensive and annoying to develop. And it could be archived more than 30-40 years before it started to fall apart.

Btw, s8 scanners are now $500 used. So the entire production chain is totally possible at home for very little money.

Which scanners are available for $500 used? Am curious! - Common wisdom is that nothing below the Moviestuff (which retails for several thousands) is really usable, especially not the cheap Reflecta S8 scanners.

Kodak hasn't brought back reversal film yet, btw...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The definition of usable is highly subjective. If the standards are that high one should be looking at at least s16 anyway. And movie scanners.. I see them maybe 2-4 times/year locally on classifieds. Always free in exchange for pickup or a symbolic figure.

Its the buyers market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.1.2018 at 10:41 PM, Andrew Reid said:

A real shame they did not go S16 and Digital Bolex direction instead.

A shame...?  If you really think of shooting S16 you'd get an Aaton or Arri and you're fine. I think it is a shame they did not go the Polaroid direction to bring back analogue to the masses. Which is right now very successful. As same as records and soon cassettes and tape.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The definition of usable is highly subjective. If the standards are that high one should be looking at at least s16 anyway. And movie scanners.. I see them maybe 2-4 times/year locally on classifieds. Always free in exchange for pickup or a symbolic figure.

Its the buyers market.

Mattias thank you for your input and being positive. But there is something in between filming professional at big budget (S16) or filming as an enthusiast and trying to get good results. With a good camera (like the Leicina Spezial with its great sharpness and good registration) and Kodak 50D with nearly no grain you can achieve remarkable results which people often think are S16! Of course the material had to be proper scanned by pros and no DIY, Reflecta, Moviescanner... (prior scanning film has to be washed and you don't want that super sensitive negative being scratched by shitty scanners and operators). If you are talking about pro stuff think about scanners like Cintel Millennium, Spirit Classic and so on :) 

And I am still scratching my head how you managed to develop Kodachrome (k14) in color... :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

 

And I am still scratching my head how you managed to develop Kodachrome (k14) in color... :grin:

I don't. No-one does. I have developed regular E-6 reversal in s8 and s16mm.

If one can live with some gritt, low framerate and more gritt then s35 widescreen is very easy to shoot and develop. The camera is like $50 ;)

Starts at 0:45 ish :)

 

Or if you can get your hands on a D16.. grabb it and don't let go. And that includes the Monochrome imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a comparison of the scan results from a Reflecta and from the Mueller HM73 (a comparatively affordable professional S8 scanner which still costs more than $10,000), conducted by Frank Rudolph who's an expert for S8 scanning:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is so bad. Even filmed with a mobile phone from the white wall looks much better (when you can control the speed of the projector). Ochoypico in Madrid do a great job with a self built scanner and very affordable.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I don't. No-one does. I have developed regular E-6 reversal in s8 and s16mm.

If one can live with some gritt, low framerate and more gritt then s35 widescreen is very easy to shoot and develop. The camera is like $50 ;)

Starts at 0:45 ish :)

 

Or if you can get your hands on a D16.. grabb it and don't let go. And that includes the Monochrome imo.

 

Sorry got you wrong because you mentioned Kodachrome which is K14 and cannot be developed since they shut down the last lab in 2010. Thanks for your videos and comparison. Very interesting. Astonishing how good super 8 can keep up with S16 in quality (when I compare with some of my films). But still I prefer shooting film and projecting it on a big screen instead of watching d16 footage on 5kmac. :) Unfortunately for 16mm you need much more space and the projectors are even more noisy. 

IMG_2856.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cantsin said:

Here's a comparison of the scan results from a Reflecta and from the Mueller HM73 (a comparatively affordable professional S8 scanner which still costs more than $10,000), conducted by Frank Rudolph who's an expert for S8 scanning:

 

For an expert he really sucked at using the reflecta. Any who, pro labs sometimes sell out their pro printers and they dont cost anyway near $10k. Not even $1k. And one can always DIY. Or.. send to a lab. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2018 at 6:32 AM, Mattias Burling said:

I don't. No-one does. I have developed regular E-6 reversal in s8 and s16mm.

If one can live with some gritt, low framerate and more gritt then s35 widescreen is very easy to shoot and develop. The camera is like $50 ;)

Starts at 0:45 ish :)

 

Or if you can get your hands on a D16.. grabb it and don't let go. And that includes the Monochrome imo.

 

I found something you need Mattias!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee I Never knew I was a Hipster LoL. That was sort of all there was in the day anyone could afford. A Mitchell 35mm was a Bit out of the question. And yeah they did look sort of like shit even then. They were not too bad on a tripod, but hardly anyone used the that way. But I would argue that more porn films were made on 8mm than all others combined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

It’s neat & all, but 8mm looks like shit and film is expensive.  

Hipsters👍🏻

It is what it is. It is a small gauge version of a true cinema Kodak stock. To me the small format texture looks beautiful and real. 

I don't see why anyone would want their music videos/short films/etc to look like a Google commercial. 

The right camera for the job. I wouldn't right off anything completely. The Ronin is completely overused but it has its place.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...