Why YouTuber Logan Paul can't put his camera down

Andrew Reid

Vloggers, youtubers, etc. are this generations Lois Lane, Hunter Thompsons, Morley Safer, etc.  Vlogger, youtubers, are this generations news reporters, war correspondences, magazine opinion pieces, etc...   Just like their "dead tree media" counterparts, it's all about getting the "story" -- no matter how, boring, gruesome, etc.  Keep the camera on and pointed to the action... or dead body.  Get the story no matter what.  Stay with the troop while there is a gun fight all around while being pinned down by Charle while helicopters are circling around.  At no point in history has there been so much "reporting"; so much knowledge, and experiences shared to so many people.  Everyone can now potentially be a reporter.  Because of this, there is a lot more content. 

If people don't want to listen, don't want to read, don't want to see things that may offend them..... they can always turn off the TV, close the magazine cover, don't buy the newspaper -- OR in this generations vernacular, don't click on the link.  Logan Paul didn't make 15/16 million people click on his video.  These people wanted to see Logan Pauls videos.  I don't click on Logan paul's video's because I'm not into his type of content.  Not my cup of tea.  I don't "invite" him into my "mind space" by not clicking on his stuff.  The video about some dead body.  Did I click on the link?  Nope.  I don't want to see/learn/know more about that type of stuff.  I only care about really important stuff... Like consumer cameras, codexs, 4k60p, etc.  You know, things that will feed my G.A.S.  Because without G.A.S., the internet would be a more boring place -- for me at least.  Dead bodies??? Japanese haunted forests??? Who cares about that sort of shiet!!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

As a fan of the obnoxious nostalgic nonsense that is 80s hair metal, it's funny watching the parallels between Twisted Sister, Poison, PMRC, and today with YouTubers. Same crap just different generation.

Or cool 80ies movies! I agree on that part with you. But they were different than those youtubers. They were not posting unpleasant advertisment and self satisfactory lamentos and were not screaming around without music, nor on a daily basis. Selling cars has never sounded and looked that unpleasant, selling cars in figurative speech.

@eleison They don´t turn it off, because they got baited into it and tuned to it. A lot of people are addicted. It´s hysteria.

17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@eleison God eleison imas! Have you even read Hunter S. Thompson?! PiewPieDie is his equivalent in vlogging world?

"Eyewitness to history" by John Carey is a great reportage book -from Greco-Roman culture to the 80's, I didn't see any resemblance with any vloger I ever watched.

hahahahaahha... If I am not too bold to say, but have you considered that you maybe just too old to understand this new generation. Older people never understand the new stuff.  For example, music tastes changes.  Compare the early 1900's music to the late 1900's music.  They are all music, but there will always be some curmudgeon that states "Music???  Music!!! you call that Music... In my time, music was Mozarts, Chopin, Beethoven, etc... Now a days, what people listen to is not MUSIC, but TRASH!!!  Now get off my lawn, wippersnapper!!!"

When Hunter S. Thompson was alive, the previous generation also did not consider what he did as "real" reporting.  Oh, how the times have changed.  This current generation (like the previous generation) does not to be told what is  real reporting.  They don't need to read a book to know what they feel keeps them updated, keeps them informed, entertained and keeps them feeling connected to society.   These are the things that reporting does.  Different generation, different tools, but the same end results.

19 minutes ago, eleison said:

hahahahaahha... If I am not too bold to say, but have you considered that you maybe just too old to understand this new generation. Older people never understand the new stuff.  For example, music tastes changes.  Compare the early 1900's music to the late 1900's music.  They are all music, but there will always be some curmudgeon that states "Music???  Music!!! you call that Music... In my time, music was Mozarts, Chopin, Beethoven, etc... Now a days, what people listen to is not MUSIC, but TRASH!!!  Now get off my lawn, wippersnapper!!!"

When Hunter S. Thompson was alive, the previous generation also did not consider what he did as "real" reporting.  Oh, how the times have changed.  This current generation (like the previous generation) does not to be told what is  real reporting.  They don't need to read a book to know what they feel keeps them updated, keeps them informed, entertained and keeps them feeling connected to society.   These are the things that reporting does.  Different generation, different tools, but the same end results.

hahahh or ahahaa or ha or ha and har. all the same, you, me, good, bad, god, bart simpson. poops smells like chanel no. 5. harhahaahrhagrahhahr, what a funny dada gaga. "really?" do you like the look of quotation marks within quotation marks? " "" " Hihhyrharuhhagargurpuraaada All the same, food or no food to eat. What would you like to eat tonight? Don´t matter? What would you like to read tonight? Pewdewpuhs popo stuff? Your comment is the same as mine. Really? For real, ahem, I mean for "real" with beautiful quoto toto marks?

Yes, and now, copy past my own stuff and recycle, since the capacity of human mind and the internet is limitless and result is the same:

hahahh or ahahaa or ha or ha and har. all the same, you, me, good, bad, god, bart simpson. poops smells like chanel no. 5. harhahaahrhagrahhahr, what a funny dada gaga. "really?" do you like the look of quotation marks within quotation marks? " "" " Hihhyrharuhhagargurpuraaada All the same, food or no food to eat. What would you like to eat tonight? Don´t matter? What would you like to read tonight? Pewdewpuhs popo stuff? Your comment is the same as mine. Really? For real, ahem, I mean for "real" with beautiful quoto toto marks?

Yes, and now, copy past my own stuff and recycle, since the capacity of human mind and the internet is limitless and result is the same:

No, I was wrong. It makes a difference and it gives a different effect of what we say and do.

@eleison Age has nothing to do with the perception of culture. Age can be an advantage if one have spend his years (semi-)wisely because has better knowledge and understanding of cultural trends through history, so can compare, and excercise his hard-acquired criticial judgement. 

Junk is just junk, you just have a whole junkyard on your screen right now. Through history there was (and is) a lot of garbage produced, we just tend to forget that for every masterpiece ever written, were billions of useless pages (or paper, or papyrous, or clay) of npt important stuff. 

Obviously this is going to lead somewhere, but current productions are just not very important right now, content wise. Time is a limited comodity, especially in this time in history, and watching a Jackass influenced video by a jackass (and I do not mean the animal) doesn't make it the future, and doesn't make worth watching, usually.

In the time one needs to read "The Kentucky Dervy is Decadent and Depraved" can watch a  couple Casey Neistat videos. I know what I would choose.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

@eleison Age has nothing to do with the perception of culture. Age can be an advantage if one have spend his years (semi-)wisely because has better knowledge and understanding of cultural trends through history, so can compare, and excercise his hard-acquired criticial judgement. 

Junk is just junk, you just have a whole junkyard on your screen right now. Through history there was (and is) a lot of garbage produced, we just tend to forget that for every masterpiece ever written, were billions of useless pages (or paper, or papyrous, or clay) of npt important stuff. 

Obviously this is going to lead somewhere, but current productions are just not very important right now, content wise. Time is a limited comodity, especially in this time in history, and watching a Jackass influenced video by a jackass (and I do not mean the animal) doesn't make it the future, and doesn't make worth watching, usually.

In the time one needs to read "The Kentucky Dervy is Decadent and Depraved" can watch a  couple Casey Neistat videos. I know what I would choose.

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted."  If watching Paul Logan or case Neistat videos float their boats, I'm not going to complain.  Junk in one era, can considered to be a master piece in another.  Wasn't Shakespeare considered mass produced tripe of it's time?  Or the common camber pot of a long bygone time, now considered precious and put in museums?  Or earlier comic books that were considered trash only to be read by deviant teenagers in the heat of puberty, now considered great arts of works worth thousands of dollars?

Heck, how many people on this forum spend inordinate amount of time comparing specs on camera gear without actually filming and creating stuff of value?  Is it really a waste of time?  Probably, but if we enjoy it, then ultimately it's not.  Besides, I'm too old to care if something is a waste of time or not.  Life is too short.  Enjoy yourself and let other people figure out what is important to them.

On 03/01/2018 at 6:34 PM, IronFilm said:

Any good documentary maker would likely keep on filming too. Many war corespondents will of course tell tales of exactly the same situation, where they couldn't put the camera down but had to pick it up to capture the story even under horrible circumstances (often quite the reverse, as the more horrible it is, the more important it is they report on it!).
Now of course Logan Paul isn't a doco maker, he is a "YouTuber". 
But in a way, that is kinda sort of the "same thing"? As a vlogger he is making a mini documentary, every single day

Look on the upside perhaps? He is bringing more attention to Japan's terribly high suicide rates, maybe will do his tiny part in helping open a discussion to do something about it. 

Oh, and as for censorship, I don't believe in any of that. "We don't have free speech to talk about the weather".

The point is more that 1) youtube didn't censor him or other liberal sex freaks like the youngturks guy while it does censor and demonitise conservative voices all the time. How an algorithm manages such a delicate political perspective I don't know. 2) It sure looked like hammy acting with a terrible hat to me, ie. it's not about the camera but his disrespectful goofing off.  

1 hour ago, eleison said:

Heck, how many people on this forum spend inordinate amount of time comparing specs on camera gear without actually filming and creating stuff of value?  

Quoted for truth

3 hours ago, eleison said:

Junk in one era, can considered to be a master piece in another.  Wasn't Shakespeare considered mass produced tripe of it's time?

Uh, no.  Dude drew huge audiences and made a ton of money.  His work was recognized by royalty.  He may not have been as popular or well regarded as he is today but he certainly was not regarded as a random youtuber during his day.

3 hours ago, eleison said:

Or earlier comic books that were considered trash only to be read by deviant teenagers in the heat of puberty, now considered great arts of works worth thousands of dollars?

No.

Look up the diamond water paradox.  No one considers early comic books as "great arts".  They are worth thousands of dollars because they are rare and they launched a genre that makes billions at the box office today.  I guarantee you if two million copies of Action Comics #1 were found tomorrow in mint condition the price of that issue would drop to pennies.

Show the average person Action Comics #1 and a modern day Jim Lee Superman and we all know they would pick the Jim Lee as the superior product... unless they are a weird hipster trying to be edgy... like some of the people in this thread.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

The point is more that 1) youtube didn't censor him or other liberal sex freaks like the youngturks guy while it does censor and demonitise conservative voices all the time. How an algorithm manages such a delicate political perspective I don't know.

I don't think literally any of that is true.  The video has been removed from the guy's youtube channel.  I believe he removed it voluntarily, but Youtube seems to be chasing down other copies of it that are popping up like wildfire.

This has literally nothing to do with liberal or conservative.  That's kind of the point.  This is the low hanging fruit.  No slippery slope here.  No controversy.  Regardless of politics everyone agrees video taping and laughing at suicide victims is wrong.  Amazing this thread is this long.

15 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

Amazing this thread is this long.

That´s, because people differ in their opinions about this youtuber and this kind of clickbait entrepreneurs. Casey Neistat on the other hand is a great example of how one can be successful without bein a corpse exploiter or a pewduhbuhpoo guy. Casey is a Vlogger, the  modern times video author, these other people are just exploiters and screaming car sellers and junk distributors an time thiefs.

Good overall point, I think, Andrew.

I used to get really dissapointed in my fellow man/woman over their behavior and decisions until I finally came to accept the fact that a solid percentage of people simpy have below average intelligence - both intellectual and emotional. Walk into a room with a random group of 100 people and maybe 30 or so will have a difficult time with basic logic, reasoning and emotional judgement.

And while accepting this basic math helps me remember that most people are reasonable and decent, it's pretty important, as a culture, that we encourage and promote higher thinking and ethical behavior. Unfortunately, too many corporations have become the biggest douchebags of all with no obligation to anyone but their shareholders. And thanks to them we have a big  chunk of the general population that stares at little screens all day sending and receiving vacuous content and prattle.

This guy is just another mindless douchebag who enthralls a lot of other douchebags, to the delight of media whores around the world.

Idiocracy is looking more like a documentary by the day.

4 hours ago, Damphousse said:

This has literally nothing to do with liberal or conservative.  That's kind of the point.  This is the low hanging fruit.  No slippery slope here.  No controversy.  Regardless of politics everyone agrees video taping and laughing at suicide victims is wrong.  Amazing this thread is this long.

Indirectly of course it does (and by liberal I mean progressive, not left-right politics). That's why Henk wotsits name gets away with so much and actually appears in ads for Youtube. Here's an example from today https://youtu.be/s0elpY1a90Y 

6 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Uh, no.  Dude drew huge audiences and made a ton of money.  His work was recognized by royalty.  He may not have been as popular or well regarded as he is today but he certainly was not regarded as a random youtuber during his day.

"Dude drew huge audiences and made a ton of money"

Errr.... you just described the current crop of top vloggers!

6 hours ago, Damphousse said:

but Youtube seems to be chasing down other copies of it that are popping up like wildfire.

Because they're copyright violations. 

However they're playing wack-a-mole.

On 05/01/2018 at 4:47 AM, eleison said:

Just like their "dead tree media" counterparts, it's all about getting the "story"

Except in this case it's not about the story at all. It's all about Logan. He is not a journalist, so equating him with "news reporters, war corresponcences (sic)" is erroneous.

On 05/01/2018 at 4:47 AM, eleison said:

Dead bodies??? Japanese haunted forests??? Who cares about that sort of shiet!!!!

Quite likely the people who are affected by suicide, such as family and friends.

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"Dude drew huge audiences and made a ton of money"

Errr.... you just described the current crop of top vloggers!

Why stop there?  Why not truncate my post at "dude" and have it describe almost half the planet.  Yes if you chop up posts and ignore the parts you don't like you can make anything on the internet say anything.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Because they're copyright violations. 

Is that why?  The article I read went out of its way to detail the fact no claim of copyright was ever made.

Although YouTube may want to erase the Paul nightmare from its site, YouTubers know the company's rules and can subvert the system. With the body censored, YouTube either has to find a new violation of its guidelines or treat re-uploads as a copyright issue — but Paul doesn't seem to care if people repost his work.

Paul could have filed a claim with Content ID to get his video removed from other channels. Every new upload to YouTube is cross-referenced with the Content ID database, and if a video matches, the original owner can decide to take it down (or monetize it).

It’s possible that Paul doesn’t have access to Content ID or that tweaked versions of the video are avoiding detection. But so far, it’s clear that YouTube isn’t able to remove the video just because it belongs to someone else: takedowns of full re-uploads that show the body cite a violation of YouTube's policies, not copyright.

21 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Indirectly of course it does (and by liberal I mean progressive, not left-right politics). That's why Henk wotsits name gets away with so much and actually appears in ads for Youtube. Here's an example from today https://youtu.be/s0elpY1a90Y 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  This thread was about a guy filming dead bodies, laughing at them, and posting his videos on the internet.  It is a pretty simply and straight forward thing.  I appreciate you my not like this "Henk" character's politics and that is your right.  But it would probably be better to start your own thread about youtube stars that you hate because of their politics.  I personally don't know enough about any youtube "star" to even know their politics and I certainly wouldn't call for banning anyone just because they preferred politics slightly different from mine.  I honestly don't know of any religion, ethnicity, major political party, etc that condones what Logan Paul did.  The man is a deviant.  This has nothing to do with politics.  Let's try and stay on topic.

• Administrators
On 05/01/2018 at 2:21 AM, Jim Giberti said:

Good overall point, I think, Andrew.

I used to get really dissapointed in my fellow man/woman over their behavior and decisions until I finally came to accept the fact that a solid percentage of people simpy have below average intelligence - both intellectual and emotional. Walk into a room with a random group of 100 people and maybe 30 or so will have a difficult time with basic logic, reasoning and emotional judgement.

And while accepting this basic math helps me remember that most people are reasonable and decent, it's pretty important, as a culture, that we encourage and promote higher thinking and ethical behavior. Unfortunately, too many corporations have become the biggest douchebags of all with no obligation to anyone but their shareholders. And thanks to them we have a big  chunk of the general population that stares at little screens all day sending and receiving vacuous content and prattle.

This guy is just another mindless douchebag who enthralls a lot of other douchebags, to the delight of media whores around the world.

Idiocracy is looking more like a documentary by the day.

JIm, you get it.

And that others on this thread are comparing Logan Paul to Shakespeare, just proves your point :)

Bob ain´t sellin cars. And Lee Moses is a forgotten Soul genius or even more true: he´s hardly been recognized in his time. Youtube can be still a place to find gems like this. I always feel disgusted with the current youpoop startpage, so I have a link in my bookmarks with AF100 as a search term:)