Offline Lightroom Alternative

Riadnasla

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, leeys said:

The new version of LR (not LR Classic) REQUIRES you to save your photos to the cloud. There is no option to not use it. In fact there is an option available to turn off saving to the local drive.

It's also incredibly dumbed down at the moment; for example there's no curves tool.

Not true. I use CC and save absolutely nothing to the cloud - never have either, not sure what you're talking about. I've never used any of Adobe's cloud crap, just LR and PS CC for $10/mo. I'm not even logged in to CC most of the time because I travel a lot. many days I don't even have an internet connection. 

Photoshop has all the tools you need and roundtripping is easy. LR is not meant to be a full blown photo editor, its a catalog/database and raw developer. PS does the rest.

18 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Not true. I use CC and save absolutely nothing to the cloud - never have either, not sure what you're talking about. I've never used any of Adobe's cloud crap, just LR and PS CC for $10/mo. I'm not even logged in to CC most of the time because I travel a lot. many days I don't even have an internet connection. 

Photoshop has all the tools you need and roundtripping is easy. LR is not meant to be a full blown photo editor, its a catalog/database and raw developer. PS does the rest.

*sigh*

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

What’s the Difference Between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic?

Going forward, the product you’ve known as Lightroom will be rebranded “Lightroom Classic CC”.  Why change? We have introduced a new photography service that will now be called “Lightroom CC”. It is designed to be a cloud-based ecosystem of apps that are deeply integrated and work together seamlessly across desktop, mobile, and web.  Lightroom Classic CC is designed for desktop-based (file/folder) digital photography workflows. It’s a well-established workflow solution that is distinct and separate from our new cloud-native service.  By separating the two products, we’re allowing Lightroom Classic to focus on the strengths of a file/folder based workflow that many of you enjoy today, while Lightroom CC addresses the cloud/mobile-oriented workflow.

41 minutes ago, leeys said:

*sigh*

https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/introducing-lightroom-cc-lightroom-classic-cc-and-more.html

What’s the Difference Between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic?

Going forward, the product you’ve known as Lightroom will be rebranded “Lightroom Classic CC”.  Why change? We have introduced a new photography service that will now be called “Lightroom CC”. It is designed to be a cloud-based ecosystem of apps that are deeply integrated and work together seamlessly across desktop, mobile, and web.  Lightroom Classic CC is designed for desktop-based (file/folder) digital photography workflows. It’s a well-established workflow solution that is distinct and separate from our new cloud-native service.  By separating the two products, we’re allowing Lightroom Classic to focus on the strengths of a file/folder based workflow that many of you enjoy today, while Lightroom CC addresses the cloud/mobile-oriented workflow.

My bad, been out of touch, didn't realize there are now two CC versions, thought they just whacked LR6. So just use classic CC going forward, then no worries about the cloud crap. Seems simple enough. I'm downloading the Classic version now. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Just an FYI, I just updated to the new LR Classic, and the improvements in speed aren't just window dressing. My travel computer is a 2016 12" Macbook with a Core m5 processor and just 8gb ram. I'm shooting with a XT2 and a a7r2 - two cameras with obnoxiously slow files in LR. Everything is moving so much faster now. I have 300mb DNG's from uncompressed 42mp 10-shot panos, before upgrading it took a 10-15 seconds to build the preview and then a few seconds for each adjustment to take effect. Now its almost instant. Scrolling through images in the develop module is many times faster now. I've edited about 25,000 photos in the last 11 months on my MacBook, the update is a noticeable and welcome change.

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

My bad, been out of touch, didn't realize there are now two CC versions, thought they just whacked LR6. So just use classic CC going forward, then no worries about the cloud crap. Seems simple enough. I'm downloading the Classic version now. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

I don't have your confidence.

https://***URL removed***/articles/0476255060/adobe-lightroom-5-beta-google-hangout

15 May 2013: Adobe Product Manager Tom Hogarty stressed that Adobe has, 'no plans to make Lightroom subscription-only at any point in the future.' 

18 Oct 2017: Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership.  There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering.   Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017.

https://***URL removed***/videos/5816515871/interview-adobe-will-absolutely-continue-investing-in-lightroom-classic

23rd Oct 2017: We don't want [the name change] to be perceived as a lack of investment, or a lack of effort with that product. 

Right. Pardon me if I don't really want to believe in them.

4-5 years may seem like a long time, but it will come. I'll take my time in exploring LR alternatives.

Yeah I was very annoyed by the push from all photography oriented sites. 

I just briefly tested the trial version. It clearly has been influenced by the FCPX interface... 

It offers much more extensive use of Masking/layers compared to Lightroom. 

Also I really like the LUT support. I think every software should have this feature. 

I cannot see any DAM so it is not a Lightroom replacement if you need any type of photo management. 

9 hours ago, leeys said:

I don't have your confidence.

https://***URL removed***/articles/0476255060/adobe-lightroom-5-beta-google-hangout

15 May 2013: Adobe Product Manager Tom Hogarty stressed that Adobe has, 'no plans to make Lightroom subscription-only at any point in the future.' 

18 Oct 2017: Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership.  There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering.   Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017.

https://***URL removed***/videos/5816515871/interview-adobe-will-absolutely-continue-investing-in-lightroom-classic

23rd Oct 2017: We don't want [the name change] to be perceived as a lack of investment, or a lack of effort with that product. 

Right. Pardon me if I don't really want to believe in them.

4-5 years may seem like a long time, but it will come. I'll take my time in exploring LR alternatives.

I guess we'll see. Perhaps the "coming in 2018" posted above turns out to be a great LR replacement, at the moment its vaporware so I'm not buying into anything until I can test it out. I personally don't like Capture One, and it would cost me more than LR since I buy new cameras every couple years and rent others in between to test. I need updated raw support. If they force cloud image sync then I'll need to find something else since I travel a lot and don't always have internet access, till then I'm good. As always, YMMV.

Cheers

On 11/15/2017 at 4:13 PM, leeys said:

The new version of LR (not LR Classic) REQUIRES you to save your photos to the cloud. There is no option to not use it. In fact there is an option available to turn off saving to the local drive.

It's also incredibly dumbed down at the moment; for example there's no curves tool.

Just a follow up on this, I downloaded the new LR CC to my wife's iPad and to my MacBook, I still don't have cloud services and everything is fully functional. You have the option of synching to have everything in just one location, have edits automatically transfer between devices and such, but its not required. I have all the automation features off and just move files as I wish, works great. As a bonus, LR mobile is really fast since its completely new from the ground up instead of being slowed down by cumbersome legacy code. Its also completely free. If you can get by with a tablet, you pay nothing.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Just a follow up on this, I downloaded the new LR CC to my wife's iPad and to my MacBook, I still don't have cloud services and everything is fully functional. You have the option of synching to have everything in just one location, have edits automatically transfer between devices and such, but its not required. I have all the automation features off and just move files as I wish, works great. As a bonus, LR mobile is really fast since its completely new from the ground up instead of being slowed down by cumbersome legacy code. Its also completely free. If you can get by with a tablet, you pay nothing.

Cheers

How did you disable it? There's no option for it on mine at all. I did read there's a way to cheat by just overloading the cloud portion and ignoring the sync warnings.

Like I said, I find the tools pitiful and lacking. I get more done on Snapseed.

On 15/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, Riadnasla said:

Thanks for the recommendations! Looking through them, they're more geared towards editing the photos, whereas I'm more interested in cataloging and sorting, then doing mild-to-moderate editing, as most of my work is done in camera already. Any ideas for that?

If you only need the cataloging side Phase One also make Media Pro, which is an archival/cataloging program designed to work with Capture One. I don’t think it would carry over the non-destructive edits you’ve made in Lightroom (that’s the flip side of anything that happens in metadata, you tend to get locked into one company’s interpretation) but it’s supposed to be pretty good. 

And for what it’s worth Capture One has excellent colour rendition and is well worth considering. Though I stick with Lightroom because LR has more flexible selective editing tools, and I think is geared more towards batch editing of files whereas Capture One is still more about editing one photo at a time (even though it also has extensive copy/paste non destructive edits)

• Super Members

Im still very happy with the non subscription version of Lightroom. Works a treat.

But Capture One is great and I have that for the Ricoh. Its not as fast for me but it always delivers nicer images than Lightroom. I can never replicate what I get in CO using LR.

So when the non subscription version of Lightroom doesn't cut it anymore I won't get a subscription. I will just jump ship completely.