Magic Lantern for 80D coming soon?

Dave Maze

Just browsing the ML forums and stumbled across the progress on the ML 80D hack. Looks promising! Quote from the forum:

"...It seems that 80D has a writing speed close to 80 MB/s (70D only 40 MB/s). It is quite possible that we can get more than 1080p with compressed raw. The 10 bit should work as well..."

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.150

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Just browsing the ML forums and stumbled across the progress on the ML 80D hack. Looks promising! Quote from the forum:

"...It seems that 80D has a writing speed close to 80 MB/s (70D only 40 MB/s). It is quite possible that we can get more than 1080p with compressed raw. The 10 bit should work as well..."

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.150

You just quoted a forum member who have 4 posts on the whole forum and cleary dont understand how the hacking process work. Yes there is a slow progress on hacking Digic 6 cameras like 5D Mark IV and 80D, but  the guys constantly hitting in walls while trying to hack the newer (Digic6) canon cameras.

Probably they will do it, but not in the near future... and in about a year (i hope) we will have lot of 10 bit cameras with good codec which means RAW recording will no longer be as shiny as it was years ago..

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

Its amazing what they are squeezing out of 4+ years old cameras...  

But I remember reading somewhere that ML was in direct contact with Canon and was told its ok to mess with our old gear but if you hack our new stuff we will come after you legally...

This I don't buy at all. The reason they haven't hacked for example the 1DC is because they don't know how. Without a firmware update file they don't know where to start.

I'm willing to bet that it is the same  reason the 5Div isn't hacked. No one knows how.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

This I don't buy at all. The reason they haven't hacked for example the 1DC is because they don't know how. Without a firmware update file they don't know where to start.

I'm willing to bet that it is the same  reason the 5Div isn't hacked. No one knows how.

Which is probably why Canon offered CLog with the 5Div but you have to send it in to get it or buy a new one that already has it installed. If I ever buy a 5Div, I would not buy the CLog version just in case ML ever cracks it and we can get 10-12bit, 5-6K Raw.

22 hours ago, kaylee said:

thatd be dope!!! id get one

EDIT: wait, would the touch screen dpaf work alongside magic lantern for video?

speaking of cameras with flippy screens, did you guys see this patent? 

illustration3.jpg

The touchscreen DPAF works with the 70D and ML Raw, so it probably would.

And yeah, I saw that screen on Canon Rumors a while back... it looks interesting.