Should I buy a Samsung NX1 now May 2017???

Henry Silvestriz

2 hours ago, لطفي بوعكاز said:

Thanks everyone, the 10 bit isn't what's making me upgrade, there's little difference anyway, it's really 14bit and above that you start to see some real difference which will be worthwhile for color grading giving you extra headroom so you don't need to worry too much while shooting if you're exposed correctly or not. 

it's really high framerate at 4k.  even my output is in 1080p, the 4k downsampled to 1080p gives you 4:4:4 pixel sampling which is the highest 1080P you can get. however because it's limited to 25fps, in music videos which is what I do most, it's not great. music videos need quick cuts, and there's only so much you can film, so we always need to slow down the action so we can fill'up time. 

Clients find me from my previous videos, they like what they see and they expect the same or better. I've never had a client ask what camera you use, because I deal with the artist directly so they have no interest in the technical bits...they just want you to take care of it all and talk the least tech language as possible. This video above, her previous video was made by a production company with Cinema Camera and Jib and all and she paid 5 times more, yet the result was disappointing for her so she came to me after that. (they could only film her in 1 location because the gear is big and bulky to move around, camera movement was limited, no story it had to be shot all same'day) When I work with Agencies, they do ask what Camera and lenses you use, I tell them it's 4K DSLR and give them a link to the videos I make, and tell them if they wish for Cinema Camera, it can be rented but because they're usually on a deadline and small budget they prefer I use mine. 

I enjoy the limitations and the challenge, it's fun :D 

here's another one with NX1. note that every interior scene required 2 x 100W LED lights with diffusers.... exteriors no lights just daylight alone

Ha! Limitations? Looks more like strengths looking at the video above. ?

The diffused lighting is really helping to tone down the aggressive detail of the NX1 sensor and help rolloff gradients a bit smoother. It's a good look in my opinion, 8bit or otherwise. This could definitely hit a distribution channel like Netflix. You've definitely earned a new fan. ?

It also looks like there's some attention given to wardrobe/set color coordination? 

I've always had a propensity towards pulling the most out of less and challenging conventional wisdom where I feel it's misplaced or dogmatic.

Not to dismiss the obvious lush and creamy images of say a RED EPIC or Arri Alexa. But as much as they are awesome, they're equally uninteresting, if that makes sense? 

There's a certain, "Go big or go home mentality" I'd like to see get challenged because I personally feel filmmaking should be accessible to anyone who has a passion for it but may not neccsarily have the funds to match.

I really get annoyed at those filmmakers who use top gear as a barrier to entry and job security. Even if they're very skilled, I feel they have lost their way.  

I remember starting my interest in filmmaking as a young kid shooting with VHS camcorders. I didn't think at that time that my little films didn't look like what I saw in the movie theater (not even close) but I do remember learning about other things like creative lighting, and fun and interesting ways to frame the world I see. And having fun with friends creating scenes. 

I was focused on improving my craft with each time I picked up my camera. I actually took my camcorder to bed with me. I was totally hooked. I'm sure I wasn't alone. (Before the interwebs)

Maybe it's me but I don't see a lot of articles talking about those magical formative years. I do see tons of articles professing over this camera, or that camera and their respective specs. There is a forum for that, don't get me wrong. But it's a bit less magical and relies heavily on convention, which sometimes comes off as arrogant and a bit jaded.

I can't imagine a young child just getting into this field and reading, "No kid, you're nothing without an Arri Alexa". That's a horrible message. 

There's a handful of children's filmmaking workshops that teach aspiring young minds the art of filmmaking using smartphones and simple household tools I couldn't be supportive enough of this movement. 

Sorry guys, I know I ramble a bit. Hey, I'm a 44 year old single father of adult children and get a bit lonely at times, especially during time off from work. I'm surrounded by professionals who work with million dollar budgets and get whatever equipment they request. It gets boring always talking about how this gear allowed this or that. 

I'm done now. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is an incredible price. This is a jacket-pocket size camera that I use as a B or C cam for live recordings (2-3 hours shows) and does NEVER overheats, even in the warmest summer days of southern Europe.

A great and very powerful mini camera.

Fact: when it was out, heavily criticized by the special press about the fact it couldn't do full readout on 4K. Several Nikon dSLRs later, and bigger and multiple times more expensive cameras that over heat, or do not 4K at all. NX500 looks better than ever. And dead gorgeous too.

• 2 weeks later...

another project still with the NX1! this one made me Realise how good of a camera it is, I asked a friend to help me with 2nd cameras (Sony a6500 with speedbooster and canon L lens) there's about 10% footage of that maybe you can tell? 

On 12/29/2017 at 12:26 AM, IronFilm said:

May you link to her previous video? Curious as to what it looks like. 

sorry for late reply but here it is 

46 minutes ago, لطفي بوعكاز said:

another project still with the NX1!

Nice!

47 minutes ago, لطفي بوعكاز said:

here it is 

Her older one by the other guy basically had only three shots in it:
1) stairs (which I kinda liked the look of, but waaaay overused! As they did't have much else to do)
2) outside by the car
3) the black backdrop (the worst of the three)

God, I can't stand pop culture. Money, money, sex, money, excess money, sex, I'm trendier and sexier than you because I gotz'duh monie. Meh. Reminds me of Trumpism. ?

However, I love the images you're getting from the NX1 and your camera work in general.

Did you change your settings or workflow from previous videos? I'm seeing a cleaner image in these examples, less banding, artifacts, etc. The blue tones are reading really well.

It's amazing to see the NX1's footage on a 10bit monitor. For some reason, it looks cleaner, especially gradients, than on an 8bit monitor even though the footage is encoded to 8bit. It's a pretty noticeable difference. I have a 2.5k 10bit BenQ, extremely color accurate, so maybe that's part of it. 

I'm going BMD soon, but definitely holding on to my NX1 because the image can be pristine in certain circumstances, and better in low light than any BMD cam currently on the market. 

It's unbeleiveable to me that 4 years after it's release (2014 correct?) it still holds up nicely. 

(its me ) Thanks Matthew, settings pretty much same however it's probably because this time it's exported in 1440p rather than 1080p so it could be that. 

I'm also soon getting the BMD because clients keep asking for slow motion ..but I'll still keep the NX1 for pretty much all moving shots that require a gimball so all static shots can be done with BMD because you know how much it'll cost extra to have the BMD move...I think it's a good compromise.  

PS: there is a trick I use now for smooth slowmo with 4k which is not bad for quick shots, I tried it and it's making me question now if I really need BMD for 4k 60P!!! 

3 hours ago, Lotfi Kaz said:

(its me ) Thanks Matthew, settings pretty much same however it's probably because this time it's exported in 1440p rather than 1080p so it could be that. 

I'm also soon getting the BMD because clients keep asking for slow motion ..but I'll still keep the NX1 for pretty much all moving shots that require a gimball so all static shots can be done with BMD because you know how much it'll cost extra to have the BMD move...I think it's a good compromise.  

PS: there is a trick I use now for smooth slowmo with 4k which is not bad for quick shots, I tried it and it's making me question now if I really need BMD for 4k 60P!!! 

This technique has been around for over a decade. It's basically subpixel sampling and it can take a long time to render. It was originally an After Effects thing.

If you're going to use this technique make sure you shoot with a high shutter speed because too much motion blur will ruin the effect. You have to preplan this. 

The best implementation of this technique I've seen is from a plugin called Twixtor, which gives you a set of adjustable parameters, which optical flow does not. You also don't have to conform your footage to a different timeline.

Results vary:

If this is all you need the plugin will be way cheaper than buying an Ursa Mini. 

I still think the Ursa Mini is a good investment if you have the money. You gain quite a bit of advanatges over the NX1 other than just frame rates. The good thing about the NX1 is that it cuts nicely with BMD and RED footage. It would be a good A/B cam setup. 

I am definitely NOT looking forward to the weight and size of the Ursa. Knowing my luck Blackmagic will release a smaller/lighter Ursa Mini, just right after I purchase the 2017 model.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks I know about twixtor just haven't explored it further but how higher of a shutter do you have to be to get it right? at 30P my shutter is 60 in normal mode. 

Another new NX1 100% video footages, the night shots just 1 small LED light with ISO 400 the rest all natural lighting. 

7 hours ago, لطفي بوعكاز said:

thanks I know about twixtor just haven't explored it further but how higher of a shutter do you have to be to get it right? at 30P my shutter is 60 in normal mode.

I think you're confusing frame rate with shutter speed here. 

It will be trial and error, but logically the slower you think you'll slow down your footage in the timeline using the technique you posted (or Twixtor) the higher you'll want to set your shutter speed. (Again, not to be confused with frame rate)

So if you're normally at 30fps with a shutter speed of 1/60th (following the 180° global shutter rule) and you plan to slow your footage down to the equivelent of 120fps in post, I'd set my shutter speed at 1/250th and test how that looks after you've applied the technique to the footage in post. 

So, 30fps @ 1/250th shutter speed. Of course, it's going to look like you just shot the sequel to Saving Private Ryan at normal playback, and I'm sure you'll have to open up the aperture and maybe raise your ISO, but slowed down it should look much better. You will have to experiment. 

NOTE: I have no idea how this will come out with some LED lighting. You may get some flicker you have to deal with. 

On 16/2/2018 at 1:27 AM, لطفي بوعكاز said:

Another new NX1 100% video footages, the night shots just 1 small LED light with ISO 400 the rest all natural lighting. 

Great, lenses used?

On 2/16/2018 at 1:27 PM, لطفي بوعكاز said:

Is the same artist I see! Good when they love what you're doing and keep on coming back.