Dear Andrew...

HelsinkiZim

I am going to go out on a limb here and direct a post to you.

Lemme explain...

I first popped my head inside this circus around the summer of 2015 after moving to Europe from Africa.

You have to understand, at that point, even in an industrialised city like Johannesburg, we had only heard rumours about the wonders of the Canon 5d series, and only some fortunate few in my school or in the industry had ever used a dslr on a project. Our lecturer made reference to getting one for the graduate school, but I dont know if they did eventually. Knowing Africa, probably not.

Your forum blew my mind. I read almost every post for about 6 months before I jumped in the water and got a GH4. From AaronChicago's v log tests and advice)and partly the reason I went for the ursa based on his dng post a while back) to the Ibrahim scandal, and lest we forget the exile of a few (well, one I know of) more exurberant contributors. We speak your name.(starts with a Z__, or am I wrong?)

I was a believer.

I write this now because my URSA 4.6K arrived yesterday and somehow it made me sad.

What happened is that I realised the frustration of running a small video business based on dslr's is not for me. 

I wanted a camcorder back. 

The cameras I grew up on in order -

canon xl1 - i was a PA to a then semi-famous ad director, now LA based straight-to-streaming dierector, who lent me his camera to film weddings on weekends circa 2006 in london... btw, there is a huge market for straight to streaming aparently... if you know what your doing budget-wise and leverage torrenting and bootleg streaming sites. I think they even advertise as popular downloads/ streams there to create a buzz - hoping to go viral.

sony z1 - used for 5 years on weddings... it turned into a business - number 4 in UK google search at my peak. Funny story, I had a freelance camera lady work for me and she came back with the most beautiful skintomes I had ever seen. Only until joining this community did I realise she just knew how to white balance and expose the cera properly. I thought she was a magician.

And before I left graduate school they had just got an hvx200 (no more capturing! Do people even remember that nightmare?).

I digress...

The Ursa was simply a choice that allowed me to stay in the community, but get the form factor and operation I needed in order to forget about the camera and concentrate on the buisness. I could have just as easily got a fixed lens panasonic (emotiinally) or something, but they are roughly the same price (if you have the v mount batts,ef lenses etc. Which I did.) and thought what the hell. At least the Ursa is only hell in the edit...

Truth be told, I felt almost imprisoned by the quirks and adaptations that I had to do to get the image and functionality I wanted out of the GH4. Some suggested getting an assistant, but I felt I could put their energy elsewhere than monitoring camera reability on set and putting out fires.

It was also depressing to watch how fast the landscape is changing at this prosummer (and pro tbh) level, where you begin to feel stupid and ripped off when a manufacturer releases a better version or paid upgrade to fix something (you know) they knew was faulty or simply lacking.

I went with Blackmagic because, admidst all the changes, they seem the most honest about truly disrupting this industry. Yes, Panasonic too - but if I see another speed-booster or cage I am going to hurt something or someone.

Anyways, enough rambling.. my question is-

I know your thoughts on individual cameras and software...

... but what are your thoughts about the DSLR community as a whole?

Where do you think its going?

What have you learnt so far about technology and, being the wizard behind the curtain, us?

If you cant be bothered to answer its all good, but I will say this - 

Thank you. Its been a blast and I look forward to where this journey takes us all! 

Always remember there is an idiot in Helsink that wouldn't appreciate s your gh4 step up guide, straight talk, posts, aryicles and commitment. Nuff respect. 

Especially because this site is probably a commitment with minimal rewards. Jeez, even phillip bloom threw in the towel... thanks for hanging in there!

We all don't say that often enough.

Ps... I do still have an a6500, but that is for mostly auto setting home videos and super low budget promos. I will be getting procolor soon!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, HelsinkiZim said:

I am going to go out on a limb here and direct a post to you.

Lemme explain...

I first popped my head inside this circus around the summer of 2015 after moving to Europe from Africa.

You have to understand, at that point, even in an industrialised city like Johannesburg, we had only heard rumours about the wonders of the Canon 5d series, and only some fortunate few in my school or in the industry had ever used a dslr on a project. Our lecturer made reference to getting one for the graduate school, but I dont know if they did eventually. Knowing Africa, probably not.

Your forum blew my mind. I read almost every post for about 6 months before I jumped in the water and got a GH4. From AaronChicago's v log tests and advice)and partly the reason I went for the ursa based on his dng post a while back) to the Ibrahim scandal, and lest we forget the exile of a few (well, one I know of) more exurberant contributors. We speak your name.(starts with a Z__, or am I wrong?)

I was a believer.

I write this now because my URSA 4.6K arrived yesterday and somehow it made me sad.

What happened is that I realised the frustration of running a small video business based on dslr's is not for me. 

I wanted a camcorder back. 

The cameras I grew up on in order -

canon xl1 - i was a PA to a then semi-famous ad director, now LA based straight-to-streaming dierector, who lent me his camera to film weddings on weekends circa 2006 in london... btw, there is a huge market for straight to streaming aparently... if you know what your doing budget-wise and leverage torrenting and bootleg streaming sites. I think they even advertise as popular downloads/ streams there to create a buzz - hoping to go viral.

sony z1 - used for 5 years on weddings... it turned into a business - number 4 in UK google search at my peak. Funny story, I had a freelance camera lady work for me and she came back with the most beautiful skintomes I had ever seen. Only until joining this community did I realise she just knew how to white balance and expose the cera properly. I thought she was a magician.

And before I left graduate school they had just got an hvx200 (no more capturing! Do people even remember that nightmare?).

I digress...

The Ursa was simply a choice that allowed me to stay in the community, but get the form factor and operation I needed in order to forget about the camera and concentrate on the buisness. I could have just as easily got a fixed lens panasonic (emotiinally) or something, but they are roughly the same price (if you have the v mount batts,ef lenses etc. Which I did.) and thought what the hell. At least the Ursa is only hell in the edit...

Truth be told, I felt almost imprisoned by the quirks and adaptations that I had to do to get the image and functionality I wanted out of the GH4. Some suggested getting an assistant, but I felt I could put their energy elsewhere than monitoring camera reability on set and putting out fires.

It was also depressing to watch how fast the landscape is changing at this prosummer (and pro tbh) level, where you begin to feel stupid and ripped off when a manufacturer releases a better version or paid upgrade to fix something (you know) they knew was faulty or simply lacking.

I went with Blackmagic because, admidst all the changes, they seem the most honest about truly disrupting this industry. Yes, Panasonic too - but if I see another speed-booster or cage I am going to hurt something or someone.

Anyways, enough rambling.. my question is-

I know your thoughts on individual cameras and software...

... but what are your thoughts about the DSLR community as a whole?

Where do you think its going?

What have you learnt so far about technology and, being the wizard behind the curtain, us?

If you cant be bothered to answer its all good, but I will say this - 

Thank you. Its been a blast and I look forward to where this journey takes us all! 

Always remember there is an idiot in Helsink that wouldn't appreciate s your gh4 step up guide, straight talk, posts, aryicles and commitment. Nuff respect. 

Especially because this site is probably a commitment with minimal rewards. Jeez, even phillip bloom threw in the towel... thanks for hanging in there!

We all don't say that often enough.

Ps... I do still have an a6500, but that is for mostly auto setting home videos and super low budget promos. I will be getting procolor soon!

Edit: appreciates your gh4 guide! Not wouldnt....

Tried to change it but too many edits.

Not sure where you're going with that? Are you leaving EOSHD because you feel like you've outgrown it or something? Or was it just the point of saying 'thanks' for allowing the guidance of your journey to your present day situation?

One of the guiding principals of EOSHD is that nobody should be blocked from practicing their art and executing their talent as a cinematographer or filmmaker due to the cost of equipment. DSLRs are a prime example of what’s so great about accessible filmmaking equipment. Yes, I do also cover the high end too – but the main aim of EOSHD is to cater for users of consumer & prosumer DSLR and mirrorless cameras.

So, I take it everyone is welcome here whether you own a cellphone or a RED. But... there's a lot of people that could use some help figuring all this shit out when starting out. And there's just too many places that are too pro, too serious and couldn't care less about n3wbz. I feel like here, there's no judgement, whether you're using a Sony F35, URSA Mini, GH5 or T2i/550D... it's all good, it's about getting the basics right and being able to deliver convincing content and there's more to that than an expensive camera. Think the crowd here is mix of professionals and enthusiasts that aren't quick to judge and are supportive of eachother. Positive vibes. There's too few places like that around on the good ol' interw3bz. Anyways. There's continuously going to be people starting out and not that quick to drop $3k+ on a camera and of course the core that gets more experience and higher end equipment as time goes on. That just allows for more interesting insights and knowledge to be spread around here, so personally I don't see the DSLR community going anywhere... if by that you mean the users of consumer & prosumer DSLR and mirrorless cameras that want to practice their art and be executing their talent as cinematographer or filmmaker. And isn't an URSA Mini a mirrorless camera at the end of the day either? And one more accessible than an ARRI?

Seems there are a lot of 'coffee and <insert interest>' events popping up everywhere. I feel like maybe this is a 'coffee and filmmaking' hangout, where you can just talk about whatever is on your mind filmmaking related (or occassionally even otherwise) amongst people with similar interests.

See 'being able to deliver convincing content and there's more to that than an expensive camera'. So means you must be doing well with practicing your art and executing your talent as a cinematographer or filmmaker.

Loved many of Andrews articles, like that one about Top Gear and his Digital Bolex material, also his older articles are treasures.

If you google eoshd and cmount or Pentax 28mm or even GH2 you´ll find tons of awesome stuff to read from him or forum members.

Often this site and forum give great topics for further online research. So, it´s a great thing to express your appreciation, @HelsinkiZim!

One last thought before much needed rest, after a brutal week (filming sat so 2mrw sleep late, binge ALL of Sunday's shows and family time) - 

... eh, who cares.

13 minutes ago, HelsinkiZim said:

You missed last call....

And people obsessed with liquorice should be watched like a hawk.

... but that wasn't the thought.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Not sure where you're going with that? Are you leaving EOSHD because you feel like you've outgrown it or something? Or was it just the point of saying 'thanks' for allowing the guidance of your journey to your present day situation?

So, I take it everyone is welcome here whether you own a cellphone or a RED. But... there's a lot of people that could use some help figuring all this shit out when starting out. And there's just too many places that are too pro, too serious and couldn't care less about n3wbz. I feel like here, there's no judgement, whether you're using a Sony F35, URSA Mini, GH5 or T2i/550D... it's all good, it's about getting the basics right and being able to deliver convincing content and there's more to that than an expensive camera. Think the crowd here is mix of professionals and enthusiasts that aren't quick to judge and are supportive of eachother. Positive vibes. There's too few places like that around on the good ol' interw3bz. Anyways. There's continuously going to be people starting out and not that quick to drop $3k+ on a camera and of course the core that gets more experience and higher end equipment as time goes on. That just allows for more interesting insights and knowledge to be spread around here, so personally I don't see the DSLR community going anywhere... if by that you mean the users of consumer & prosumer DSLR and mirrorless cameras that want to practice their art and be executing their talent as cinematographer or filmmaker. And isn't an URSA Mini a mirrorless camera at the end of the day either? And one more accessible than an ARRI?

Seems there are a lot of 'coffee and <insert interest>' events popping up everywhere. I feel like maybe this is a 'coffee and filmmaking' hangout, where you can just talk about whatever is on your mind filmmaking related (or occassionally even otherwise) amongst people with similar interests.

Gotcha talking..