Sign in to follow this  
Gregormannschaft

On Lankan Tracks – A Short Travel film with Sony A7S II

Hey folks. Last year I travelled to Sri Lanka for four weeks, hopping about the place and pulling all kinds of strange poses in the name of having a totally not relaxing vacation. But it's what happens, I guess. I edited together all the footage I collected and I'd love to hear any kind of feedback you might have. In hindsight, I wish I'd collected more footage, but I hope that doesn't shine through too strongly.

Edit wise, I dabbled a little with the fast zooms that have become so commonplace in this genre over the past few years but wanted to restrain myself so to not go too overboard. The Watchtower of Turkey style isn't really my thing, as much as I appreciate it, but I wanted to steal a little of that energy films like this can generate.

Cam wise, I used my Sony A7SII, GFILM colour profile, Canon 24-105 and an old Zeiss Jena 35mm that I absolutely love. No rigs, no stabiliser.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

WHAT!! this is heresy is it not?? what about the world class lowlight? I am a recovering Samsung victim and Have a NX-1 and alot of gear...and I like it.

Im just getting the hit if I want to work with others in my area Sony is a better choice to fit in.

But you would rather have a A7RII over a SII for mainly video? can you dilate your thoughts on this?

9 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Cheers Juxx, I'd recommend the A7RII over the SII, in case your eyeballing becomes cash spending.

3 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

WHAT!! this is heresy is it not?? what about the world class lowlight? I am a recovering Samsung victim and Have a NX-1 and alot of gear...and I like it.

Im just getting the hit if I want to work with others in my area Sony is a better choice to fit in.

But you would rather have a A7RII over a SII for mainly video? can you dilate your thoughts on this?

The importance of autofocus. I discounted it when I first made my mind up, but in hindsight I'd love some sort of usable AF. I hear the lowlight is still pretty good too + you have the added benefit of a full frame 4K mode with minimal rolling shooter, albeit slightly soft. I think the A7RII is a more complicated camera, but I think it might be worth it. Still, there's not much in it and you can't go wrong with either. 

Thanks for taking the time to watch!

On 16.3.2017 at 4:13 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

Cam wise, I used my Sony A7SII, GFILM colour profile, Canon 24-105 and an old Zeiss Jena 35mm that I absolutely love. No rigs, no stabiliser.

Hey Greg! You make that gfilm colour sing, you make that Sony color sing! Maybe the best Sony color I´ve seen on the interwebs,

very beautiful color in its own right! Absolutely! Please share more of your stuff!

cheers

On 14/04/2017 at 9:32 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hey Greg! You make that gfilm colour sing, you make that Sony color sing! Maybe the best Sony color I´ve seen on the interwebs,

very beautiful color in its own right! Absolutely! Please share more of your stuff!

cheers

That's very kind of you, cheers! Geoff's colour is very well worth experimenting with, would like to see more examples from other folks as well to see what they've achieved.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Alex T
      Amazing cage with built-in follow focus wheel perfect for the a7s, Canon and Nikon cameras. It's in used condition but works great. Redrock are a quality company with excellent customer service. I've found this cage to be exceptional as a one-man-band. 

"The Scout is first of its kind ultra-portable camera multi-tool. It’s a universal cage and rig in one featuring a built-in microRemote Fingerwheel System that’s wireless-ready. The Scout has a rail system when you need it, or remove rails for a super low profile setup. Load-and-go, run-and-gun, point-and-shoot right out of the box. ultraCage Scout is the ultimate self-contained rig for handheld mirrorless camera and DSLR video" 

RRP: $2,199.00

Selling for £1099

• By kazkioken
      Clearing out some stuff I don't use, this is a mint condition Metabones Nikon N/F to Sony E mount Ultra Speedbooster with 1 stop and .71X fov

I don't have the container or box, will just be the speedbooster and both end caps with the support piece as shown

Prefer local Los Angeles area pick up for $390 so you can see the adapter in person - can ship to US via PP with additional shipping and G&S fee

• By julienajarry
      Hey all! I want to share this trailer for Sennheiser's Pro Talk Season 2 I shot using a Sony FS7, A7iii and A7sii.
      Two weeks before the shoot I decided I wasn't happy with my current slog3 workflow and wanted to change it up. I found Pro Color V3 (at the time, V4 was not out yet) and gave it a shot. I loaded it up on the A7sii and A7iii, barely made a few tweaks to both to match them up, give me a great result and bam. I was sold. I then created a preset in FCPX (yea I edit on FCPX for now) that took my FS7 slog3 footage and popped it into Pro Color V3 matching the other two cameras perfectly. So my new flow is like this, Pro Color on the A7 series cameras and the FS7 shoots slog3, I then match the FS7 to the A7 series cameras in post and work from there. The reason why I needed Pro Color in my life was because I had these beautiful little A7 series cameras but couldn't use them to their full (small) potential shooting slog3. I didn't want to have to tote around an external monitor, etc. There's a lot more to say but I'll leave it at that. Way more to come. Enjoy.

• By thebrothersthre3
      Looking to sell my Sony F3 Camcorder with a Black Magic Video Assist 5in.
      UPDATED PRICE $1400 shipped

The F3 has Slog 4.4.4 enabled. The BM Video assist allows you to shoot 10 bit in 24, 30, and 60fps progressive. Camera has built in ND's. Also allows LUT monitoring. Both are in very good condition.

Sony F3 with 444 upgrade

1 original Sony Battery and Charger
      8gb card and card reader
      Original Microphone
      XLR and D-tap power cables
      PL mount
      Nikon mount
      Minolta MD Mount
      8gb SxS card and card reader

BM Video Assist 5in

4 batteries wth Charger
      mini SDI cable

I have lots more pictures just PM me, selling out of Eastpointe Michigan. I take paypal

here is my feedback on ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/usr/pawlo.thoma

• By Geoff CB
      In almost new condition. $125 gets it shipped to CONUS. International buyers okay but cost will be $120 + Shipping.