Comforming fps for slowmotion. I'm very confused

Dan Wake

Please take a look at this video...

I saw this video and now I'm very confused.

I use premiere for editing. Usually I shoot at 23,976 fps so assume the timeline is set to that value. Now if I need to insert a scene/take where there must be a slow motion and I have to choose the desired clip there are difference between a video shot at 48fps/50fps/60fps/120fps or more? I mean if I do not choose the right high fps clp for my 23,976 timeline I will have a choppy video in the slow motion scene? the export setting would be the same as the timeline (23,976).

thanks a lot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

Please take a look at this video...

I saw this video and now I'm very confused.

I use premiere for editing. 

The guy in your video knows nothing. Here is how you interpret 30p "as" 24p (or whatever your timeline is set to), and every frame will be played back without stuttering.

5 hours ago, Axel said:

The guy in your video knows nothing. Here is how you interpret 30p "as" 24p (or whatever your timeline is set to), and every frame will be played back without stuttering.

Sort of. But it looks like the guy in the video isn't trying to slow the motion at all. A lot of people do make the mistake he's referring to. Shoot at 30, play back at 24 and wonder why it stutters, eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zrJuMoNCbY Nothing to do with trying to use slowmo. If you have a variety of input videos (like from mobile phone and a G85) then they might be at different frame rates and you want them to play at normal speed without skipping. In that case, if you really have to, click a couple of boxes when exporting. Use maximum render quality, and optical flow. For slowmotion effects, follow what Axel said. 

render.jpg

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Sort of. But it looks like the guy in the video isn't trying to slow the motion at all.

Yes. Then he should better have shot at the project framerate in the first place.

Or shouldn't he ???

Because 30p wouldn't spontaneously be perceived as slow motion, but as "movie-time". Gravity, importance. It's an editing tool also. If someone backswings to build up momentum for a strike, it's better to accentuate the movement (a tiny, not too obvious time ramp) or else the whole action may look lame and speeded-up (or is it sped-up?). Also, for smooth camera movements, pans, slider- or gimbal shots, 30p can be appropriate. Watch this:

2 hours ago, Orangenz said:

In that case, if you really have to, click a couple of boxes when exporting.

Thanks a lot. Framerate conforming works differently in FCP X (you select the clips in the timeline, then you apply Automatic Speed from the retiming dialog, FCP X adjusts the audio's pitch per default). To render all frame rate changes with optical flow on export, you have to edit (click the said boxes) and save the export module in Compressor. I didn't know.

1 hour ago, Axel said:

Yes. Then he should better have shot at the project framerate in the first place.

Or shouldn't he ???

Because 30p wouldn't spontaneously be perceived as slow motion, but as "movie-time". Gravity, importance. It's an editing tool also.

Err.. not really following you. The OP wanted to know about slow motion, which your links answers well. The problem was he found a video about something completely different. The point the first video was making though, is basically the same as what you just said, shoot the project at that frame rate in the first place. 

9 minutes ago, Orangenz said:

Err.. not really following you. The OP wanted to know about slow motion, which your links answers well. The problem was he found a video about something completely different. The point the first video was making though, is basically the same as what you just said, shoot the project at that frame rate in the first place. 

Of course. But because 30fps (rate conformed) in a 24p timeline are too subtle to be called slomo and because there can be reasons for intentionally shooting in the wrong framerate, I added the second reply to cover this.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Does anyone convert their footage to prores anymore? Because I just convert the high frame rate to 24p in EditReady as I convert the footage to prores... is that not a good way to do it?

Why not? But not necessary. In Premiere, you can conform all clips in one sweep in the project window. In FCP X, you can assign a keyboard shortcut for Automatic Speed to conform one or multiple selected clips. I have ctrl+cmd+r (because there already are retiming shortcuts). This is for 30-60 fps. Usually higher framerates are flagged as slomos anyway by the camera.