which gimbal for my old 7D?

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are solutions, like wireless/rc follow focus set-ups, but you're not going to like it. ($_€) Better you take say f/5.6-8 over f/1.4-2.8, focus and keep yourself at an fixed distance from your subject (or if you really are good at that last part and/or use in/out of focus creatively, go ahead and open that aperture up a little). It's a problem you're facing with having a Panasonic or any other camera. But people still manage.

You could get a 7DmkII (or 80D), which I believe has dualpixel AF, no? So... that could be a thing. Not sure if there's like apps that allows smartphone control over electronic lenses, that could be one of the very few DIY hack options otherwise. About which gimbal set-up... go back in forum history and use Google, there's a bunch mentioned. Just from the top of my head I can't for sure name one that I know could carry a 7D. Well, something like the DJI Ronin obviously does. But like the Zhiyun Crane and what not. Tricky.

Btw, with these kind of threads it would be nice to see someone has already put some effort in themselves, so it's a good idea to tell what you've found out yourself and what you're still not sure of. Heck, you might even find an answer on your own. Sometimes people rather ask and wait a day or longer, than actually research something for like 30mins and gain some knowledge... that kind of baffles me. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I can't tell, as I always prefer people telling me what they've found out for themselves first and only ask questions if they're still having problems connecting some dots. I'd like to see you having put some effort into it, before I do.

I have a guy that does gimbal shots only for me...

In any case, he doesn't even own a camera... the only thing he has is a Glidecam HD4000.

2/3rds of the time we give him a 7D and a 17-40 f/4... and he takes about 20 to 30 min. to balance the set up. And, off he goes...

The way he focuses is by taking a picture (presses the shutter button) every once in a while... his files produces pictures in between the shots.

If you are going to go this route, buying a HD4000, let me warn you... balancing is a pain... first time users will be spending half a day to balance. You get better with practice (but you have to be patient to do this in the first place) its like playing with a Rubix cube for me... after a while... I give up.

For me, dual Ibis 2 and glidecam its a killer combo.

G85 + Hd2000 give me stunning footage and no need those modern electronic gimbals.

If you own the camera you have to put a quickplate on glidecam and make little marks on it for a very fast balance on the field.

Just put your camera-plate on the marks and only fine tunning is needed for a perfect balance. In less than 5 minutes you are ready to shoot.

More wide lens = more smooth shoot.

More f (aperture number) = more image on focus.

Practice and try to keep the distance!

thx for help, if for example I mount this kind of follow focus on my canon 50mm f1.8 + 3axis gimbal? maybe the canon 50mm focus ring is so light that if I try to focus it will not make the camera shake...

5d.jpg

anyone of you has ever tryed something like this?

I'm sorry if my questions seems stupid, the main problem is that I invested all I had on the canon 7D (recently I bought also the VAF filter for raw video) and I can't buy a second expansive camera. when I work I do not earn enough money so I didn't already payed back the investment of my actual gear. I hope the gimbal could give a new dimension to my works so that maybe my economic problems will change a little bit. that's all why I ask maybe impossible things.

7 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thx for help, if for example I mount this kind of follow focus on my canon 50mm f1.8 + 3axis gimbal? maybe the canon 50mm focus ring is so light that if I try to focus it will not make the camera shake...

5d.jpg

anyone of you has ever tryed something like this?

I think it's not a good idea.

When everything is balanced, you must hold the gimbals handle with one hand and other hand for guide/turn the central bar (usually 2 fingers only).

Look at youtube videos of Devin Graham (devinsupertramp) who is a "Glidecam Pro", that began with HD4000 and 5D mk3

17 minutes ago, Grimor said:

I think it's not a good idea.

When everything is balanced, you must hold the gimbals handle with one hand and other hand for guide/turn the central bar (usually 2 fingers only).

Look at youtube videos of Devin Graham (devinsupertramp) who is a "Glidecam Pro", that began with HD4000 and 5D mk3

thx for reply. for gimbal I mean something motorized like this.

1.jpg

did you mean the same?