Jump to content
wolf33d

Sony RX100 V - official topic

Recommended Posts

PS: That is, in the case you'd be using 1000ft rolls (+/- 11 minutes), because 400' cans (35mm) take less than 5 minutes @24fps...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Does your NX1 match this low light performance à la Sony's MILCs?

Comes to my mind the first Cinealta F900 (BTW, 2/3" sensor format) imagerie seen circa 2001; a couple of kilos/pounds more *cough cough* 100x more expensive; without lens, player recorder setup neither...

Let's not forget as far as the limit of 5 minutes concerns because of overheating, a few here were used to shoot film within the 10-minutes limit, so... ;-) Some complaints on these boards remind me those kids used to modern life with no clue about hard life in some other latitudes...

:X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The RX100 looks good, but I think the NX1's low light performance is unfairly criticized based upon nominal ISO versus actual performance.  The NX1 has a very sharp look to the 4K which allows for noise reduction to be applied later.  It is NOT A7S class, but for APS-C, I think it's hard to beat.

Not my video, but if you look at this clip, you really see the 4K quality that the NX1 offers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never disliked Samsung products, even though, those blues (hue) are a particular signature of this camera, not exactly from multiple choice straight out the box. You shoot with one, blues and magentas will invariably look the same each time you use it. But, it is up to you, if it is you're liking... I much appreciate à la Fuji: you have accurate skin tones and that's it. You can color it in wherever route you want with no much time around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Does your NX1 match this low light performance à la Sony's MILCs?

Comes to my mind the first Cinealta F900 (BTW, 2/3" sensor format) imagerie seen circa 2001; a couple of kilos/pounds more *cough cough* 100x more expensive; without lens, player recorder setup neither...

Let's not forget as far as the limit of 5 minutes concerns because of overheating, a few here were used to shoot film within the 10-minutes limit, so... ;-) Some complaints on these boards remind me those kids used to modern life with no clue about hard life in some other latitudes...

I agree on some level. 5 minutes is more than enough time for a a take. My fear would be how much cool down time in between takes is needed? The RX100 has been a unique line of cameras, that could be implemented so well with run and gun guerilla narratives. I will admit that I am intrigued by the 6.5 second raw bursts. A narrative could easily be designed with 6.5 second shots... But the question is... How many consecutive shots can be taken before that overloads their heat sinks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, brought the rx100iv home today and set it up just the way I like it. Went rather quickly since its my third iv and I think seventh rx100 in total. Hopefully third time is the charm.

And my new tactic of treating it as an HD only camera might make it a keeper. If so, maybe a mark V will be bought after its initial price drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Does your NX1 match this low light performance à la Sony's MILCs?

Comes to my mind the first Cinealta F900 (BTW, 2/3" sensor format) imagerie seen circa 2001; a couple of kilos/pounds more *cough cough* 100x more expensive; without lens, player recorder setup neither...

Let's not forget as far as the limit of 5 minutes concerns because of overheating, a few here were used to shoot film within the 10-minutes limit, so... ;-) Some complaints on these boards remind me those kids used to modern life with no clue about hard life in some other latitudes...

The NX1 is markedly superior to the RX100M3, both with stills and video. But it does not fit in a pocket however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope Samsung gets back into the camera game, just so I can see NX2 littered upon every camera announcement thread instead of NX1.

Good thing they left the market though, because every other camera manufacturer probably would have went out of business or stopped making cameras because their tech couldn't come close to the NX1 for at least another 5 or 10 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tugela said:

The NX1 is markedly superior to the RX100M3, both with stills and video. But it does not fit in a pocket however.

If you're looking for a pocketable compact it's not superior in any way. It's a completely different class of camera, and it's dead.

So why bring it up in yet another thread that has nothing to do with it?

*Facepalm*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my eyes at least, a lot of the videos I've seen from the RX100 seem very digital looking. Is it possible to get more of a "filmic" look shooting with this camera? I've never owned one, so I'm asking for other user's experiences. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The Chris said:

If you're looking for a pocketable compact it's not superior in any way. It's a completely different class of camera, and it's dead.

So why bring it up in yet another thread that has nothing to do with it?

*Facepalm*

Yeah, but you have to admit that the NX1 is way better... Ugh. Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'm more excited for the Nikon DL cameras to finally drop. 4K pocket cameras with Nikon's excellent codec, flat profile, ergonomics, and battery life= my ideal travel camera.

Wouldn't get my hopes up too high... It's still created by them compact camera department guys and all their previous stuff was just barely ok-ish. I think you're in the wrong believing this would be a mini Nikon DSLR in terms of handling and results. What I've seen so far confirms my suspision... but it will be a good learning experience for them and maybe their mark IIs will be something special. :P For now, my hopes go out to a LX100 successor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Wouldn't get my hopes up too high... It's still created by them compact camera department guys and all their previous stuff was just barely ok-ish. I think you're in the wrong believing this would be a mini Nikon DSLR in terms of handling and results. What I've seen so far confirms my suspision... but it will be a good learning experience for them and maybe their mark IIs will be something special. :P For now, my hopes go out to a LX100 successor.

What you've seen of what? They aren't even out yet.

And they share presumably the same 20MP 1" sensor as everything else on the market and feature full readout 4K, so I see very little reason not to be optimistic. Nikon tend to squeeze the best stills performance out of every sensor they use, and the video quality on their recent cameras has been quite excellent.

These are being sold as weather sealed and robust, which leads me to believe they'll be more rugged than the comparable Sony/Canon compacts. I understand that that's not a guarantee, but I'm definitely looking forward to reviewers actually getting their hands on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yeah, which is basically just a spec sheet. My guess is they're having supply chain problems after Kumamoto and it delayed the release a fair bit.

No, on paper it actually seems rather dandy. I'm talking from personal experience knowing their line-up and owning a S9900 and D5300, but mostly based on the fact that there was footage shot out there already that didn't impress me and had the typical Coolpix heritage, rather than that of the DX/FX line-up. That's just what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tugela said:

The NX1 is markedly superior to the RX100M3, both with stills and video. But it does not fit in a pocket however.

I didn't ask it. I only mentioned the NX1's low light performance versus Sonysssss... ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'm more excited for the Nikon DL cameras to finally drop. 4K pocket cameras with Nikon's excellent codec, flat profile, ergonomics, and battery life= my ideal travel camera.

I got a confirmation from Nikon support back when it was announced that it will not have the flat profile.

If thats still true it might be the dealbreaker for me. The d750 and d5500 looses minimum one but probably two stops of DR when going out of the flat profile. Its night and day imo. Same with Sony.

(I know some say cine has the same DR as S-log, but not according to my eyes.)

And at least according to the spec sheet, the Panasonic LX10/15 doesnt have the Cinelike profiles either. Which would most likely break the deal for me there as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yeah, which is basically just a spec sheet. My guess is they're having supply chain problems after Kumamoto and it delayed the release a fair bit.

Seems like that's the case. I've been waiting for PADF to make its way to the small 1" cameras and I was looking forward to the 18-50mm version of the DL. The RX1005 looks good, but I'm going to try and hold off for the DL's and the new Panasonic LX10 to be released first. The, slog, the extended 240fps and the 24fps stills bursts really push the new RX to the top of the 1"class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked the price for the rx100v here in Sweden and compared to a new rx100iv its pretty much a no brainer. 
But people like me that prefer buying used will probably still see a competitor in the mark iv.
History shows the mark iv should drop a bit in price and then I guess the V is in i a good spot.

Either way, pleasantly surprised by Sony pricing this time. Usually I feel they raise it a bit much between each model even if they generally get a lot of new feature (that may or may not work as expected).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...