Jump to content
Marcel

Just one camera for video and photo

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I had a D600 and 3 or 4 FX lenses. I sold the camera but kept the lenses. Now I need to do some photo and video services. I want to buy just one camera but a need a very high video/photo quality. I don't need 4K. I know the D750 is excelent for photo but not the top 10 for video quality and no stabilization in my lenses. 

Since I have already the Nikon Lenses my first thought is going for a D750 but I'm afraid not having the best video quality and a don't have a lenses with IS. 

Could you please help me to decide what to buy?

Thanks a lot!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd put the D750 on the short list for best hybrids. Then G7/A6300/NX1, then A7RII. 

If you already have the lenses, the D750 seems like a no-brainer. 

Shot on the D810, but video quality is almost the same as the D750:
 

Don't worry about lens IS. Grab a cheap monopod; mine is solid as a rock and cost me $5. Combined with an LCD loupe, this style provides results as good or better than VR lenses. 

It's hard to give any more information without knowing more about what you shoot and how. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll do short videos of Pets and their owners indoor and outdoors. 

I'm happy you guys are praising D750 also for video even though it took only the 14 place in the "EOSHD video quality charts – 2015/2016" article.

 TheRenaissanceMan, I already have a LCD loupe and a Manfrotto fluid head but no monopod.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'd put the D750 on the short list for best hybrids. Then G7/A6300, then A7RII. 

If you already have the lenses, the D750 seems like a no-brainer. 

Shot on the D810, but video quality is almost the same as the D750:
 

Don't worry about lens IS. Grab a cheap monopod; mine is solid as a rock and cost me $5. Combined with an LCD loupe, this style provides results as good or better than VR lenses. 

It's hard to give any more information without knowing more about what you shoot and how. 

That looks pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Nikon D750. 

 

Is a no brainer as:

A) you used to have a D600

B) you place equal importance on video and photos, and the D750 is the best DSLR for video! (Ignore the overpriced 1D C for a minute... and D5/D500 are not out yet)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D750 is fantastic both for stills and for video. It's not as flashy on paper as other cameras but it's rock solid and the results are stunning... sort of like the Canon C100 / C300 – it simply gets the job done and footage looks great. Colors are beautiful and the flat profile is extremely easy to grade, yet dynamic range is really good. 

Which lenses do you already own? For video work the 24-120 mm F/4 IS is a really good option, too. Gives you 90% of the range you need for video, it has in-built stabilization and F/4 doesn't look too bad on a full-frame sensor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the D750. Want to switch to Sony but then look at the footage which makes me keep it! As said above, it gets the job done and the colours are very good with minimal to no effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mozim said:

The D750 is fantastic both for stills and for video. It's not as flashy on paper as other cameras but it's rock solid and the results are stunning... sort of like the Canon C100 / C300 – it simply gets the job done and footage looks great. Colors are beautiful and the flat profile is extremely easy to grade, yet dynamic range is really good. 

Which lenses do you already own? For video work the 24-120 mm F/4 IS is a really good option, too. Gives you 90% of the range you need for video, it has in-built stabilization and F/4 doesn't look too bad on a full-frame sensor. 

Hi Mozim,

I have:

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, Sigma 105mm 2.8DG, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di. 

Do you think still worth to buy the combo with the 24-120mm F4?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Do you think still worth to buy the combo with the 24-120mm F4?

Marcel, I don´t have the Tamron but the 24-120/f4 is really versatile. Not for dark situations but for these you have the primes. I have the 50/f1.4 (actually both, the Sigma-Art and the G-Nikkor) and the 85/f1.4D. Using them for stills (Portraits) mostly. If flexibility is needed and for video in normal light I don't hesitate to use the zoom - as a plus it also has VR. It is not the sharperst knife in the drawer but sufficient for most situations.

But you should also know that around easter Tamron comes up with a 85/f1.8 with image stabilization and - depending on your budget - it could also be an interesting lens. I think I´m gonna get that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marcel said:

Hi Mozim,

I have:

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, Sigma 105mm 2.8DG, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di. 

Do you think still worth to buy the combo with the 24-120mm F4?

 

 

Well, if you're getting your camera from BH, the kit with the 24-120mm lens is only 300 bucks more. If you were to buy the lens separately, it would cost you a grand, so I would say it is definitely worth it for a constant aperture zoom with image stabilization. IMO. But it's your money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marcel said:

Hi Mozim,

I have:

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, Sigma 105mm 2.8DG, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di. 

Do you think still worth to buy the combo with the 24-120mm F4?

 

 

Yup! Especially as you have nothing wider than 50mm :-o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2016 at 10:47 PM, ZachGoodwin said:

A banana... 

But does it ouput 10bit 4k?

On 3/10/2016 at 9:54 PM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'd put the D750 on the short list for best hybrids. Then G7/A6300/NX1, then A7RII. 

I second that. I love my NX1. It's almost the perfect camera, but I can't, for the love of god, get it to focus perfectly inside a studio using modeling lights from a strobe. It always seem off by a hairline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ZachGoodwin said:

Yes.... And at the max of 60fps raw...

Unfortunately, trying to use any of the baked in, non raw modes causes everything to degrade into mush, you need to go for a plantain model if you want this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mars said:

Marcel, I don´t have the Tamron but the 24-120/f4 is really versatile. Not for dark situations but for these you have the primes. I have the 50/f1.4 (actually both, the Sigma-Art and the G-Nikkor) and the 85/f1.4D. Using them for stills (Portraits) mostly. If flexibility is needed and for video in normal light I don't hesitate to use the zoom - as a plus it also has VR. It is not the sharperst knife in the drawer but sufficient for most situations.

But you should also know that around easter Tamron comes up with a 85/f1.8 with image stabilization and - depending on your budget - it could also be an interesting lens. I think I´m gonna get that one.

Once they start putting that D5 sensor in other cameras you'll be able to get by with f4 for low light situations. I saw some high iso pics over on Nikon Rumors and it's amazing what that sensor can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, Flynn said:

Once they start putting that D5 sensor in other cameras you'll be able to get by with f4 for low light situations. I saw some high iso pics over on Nikon Rumors and it's amazing what that sensor can do.

This week NikonRumors wrote a post where he is expecting some FX replacements for 2016:

Quote

 

Nikon D610 replacement (announced October 2013, but the original D600 was introduced in September 2012)

Nikon D750 replacement (announced September 2014)

Nikon D810 replacement (announced June, 2014)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'd put the D750 on the short list for best hybrids. Then G7/A6300/NX1, then A7RII. 

If you already have the lenses, the D750 seems like a no-brainer. 

Shot on the D810, but video quality is almost the same as the D750:
 

Don't worry about lens IS. Grab a cheap monopod; mine is solid as a rock and cost me $5. Combined with an LCD loupe, this style provides results as good or better than VR lenses. 

It's hard to give any more information without knowing more about what you shoot and how. 

This video is amazing. Absolutely gorgeous. I know it's not full frame, but this video makes me want to revisit the D5500. Are their video capabilities similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12. März 2016 at 10:28 AM, Flynn said:

Once they start putting that D5 sensor in other cameras you'll be able to get by with f4 for low light situations. I saw some high iso pics over on Nikon Rumors and it's amazing what that sensor can do.

For video maybe less often but at least for stills you need apertures < f4 also for smaller dof, not only for low light. But you're right the new sensor generation will be very interesting. I believe they will start updating the higher end cameras first (D850 etc.) otherwise people might want to switch their bigger toys for cheaper ones leaving Nikon with less margin at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...