FILMCONVERT for Samsung NX1

kidzrevil

Most of us are familiar with FILMCONVERT and the innovation it has brought to the filmmaking community. Beyond simply emulating the look of film it has allowed us to easily match color between different camera bodies as well as offering in my opinion the best looking film grain emulation in the market. 

Recently I have reached out to the developers of FILMCONVERT concerning the possible support and profiling of the Samsung NX1. Why is this important to the NX community ? FILMCONVERT will be the first plugin/LUT with a profile built specific to the Samsung NX1 color and sensor and will be significantly more accurate in emulating the look of film stocks. Currently many users use the ARRI Alexa profile for the NX1 which gives great results but a profile built from the ground up will certainly give us better results.

Upon reaching out to the FILMCONVERT team they have been very responsive and a pleasure to communicate with. They did mention however that the recent Samsung pull out is affecting their ability to get a camera but they can resolve that issue.

I am starting this thread because judging off the response from the FILMCONVERT team if we show that there is an active community of us interested in their software it is very realistic we will get support from them with a profile to use in their software.

please let us all email them to make this dream a reality !

**copy & paste**

"I am a proud user of the Samsung NX1 & FILMCONVERT and I would love to see a profile built for the camera."

support@filmconvert.com

and please attach a link to this forum post. Thank you ! Lets make this happen !

image.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, DPStewart said:

If you use Andrew's NX1-to-LOG conversion, then I think FilmConvert's "Canon LOG" profiles are already there. Clever of Andrew to do it that way.

Great suggestion but no thanks bro. I don't use rec709 to conversion LUT's. It's not true log

1 minute ago, shanebrutal said:

This would be great for easily matching the nx1 with nx500 If they would include all the color profiles.

We should let them know that nx500 users would like this too. So that opens up the demand a lot more.

If they support the standard,vivid etc. profiles that would be two birds with one stone

8 hours ago, DPStewart said:

If you use Andrew's NX1-to-LOG conversion, then I think FilmConvert's "Canon LOG" profiles are already there. Clever of Andrew to do it that way.

Have you had success with this?

I've tried the Canon LOG with the EOSHD LOG for NX1 footage and never had any luck making it look decent.

The Red Gamma profiles seem to work a lot better with the NX1 flat footage IMO.

Also, I reckon FC looks better on the NX1 using the Arri Rec 709 profile but not with the EOSHD LUT ... i.e. using just Gamma DR settings at default. 

Cheers.

53 minutes ago, Dean said:

I've tried the Canon LOG with the EOSHD LOG for NX1 footage and never had any luck making it look decent.

Also, I reckon FC looks better on the NX1 using the Arri Rec 709 profile but not with the EOSHD LUT ... i.e. using just Gamma DR settings at default. 

Cheers.

I dislike 80% of everything that comes out of FilmConvert,
Their Canon LOG presets don't knock me out, no. But I find everything needs to be adjusted a lot with FilmConvert or it's just too heavy.

Answer on my email:

The NX1 is certainly under consideration.

We almost did it last year, and then Samsung started pulling that camera from the shelves. 

It isn't sold in these parts anymore.

This is in discussion, but I can't promise anything at this stage.

We've had quite a few requests for this camera in the last week so hopefully we can push that through.

8 hours ago, Dean said:

Cheers.

I thought Andrew's LOG LUT worked best with the Sony A7S Slog 2 - S Gamut + 1 profile?

From here: http://www.eoshd.com/samsung-nx1-video-settings-guide-tutorial/

"It also makes the NX1 compatible with Film Convert on the Sony A7S S-LOG+1 Profile."

9 hours ago, Dean said:

Cheers.

The point of the thread is so we no longer have to use these workarounds. We can finally get TRUE support. There is a lot that can go wrong with these rec709 to LOG luts. LOG by nature works better if it is supported by the manufacturer i.e. SLOG2 because it is fine tuned and BUILT for the camera. Not all LOG profiles behave the same because of that reason, even the slog2 on a high end sony performs different than an a7s for example.

other benefits include a speedier workflow and grain fine tuned to the samsung sensor and no color clipping that you usually get when using LUT's on 8bit footage. So please email them, I made a short sentence you can copy and paste

1 hour ago, iamoui said:

I thought Andrew's LOG LUT worked best with the Sony A7S Slog 2 - S Gamut + 1 profile?

From here: http://www.eoshd.com/samsung-nx1-video-settings-guide-tutorial/

"It also makes the NX1 compatible with Film Convert on the Sony A7S S-LOG+1 Profile."

Email filmconvert with the statement I wrote so we can get true support for the camera instead of using these workarounds. Thank you.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Email filmconvert with the statement I wrote so we can get true support for the camera instead of using these workarounds.

Yes, it seems that we are close and it is worth to try...

I have post request about that on Facebook NX1 page... maybe couple of others will join us :-)

52 minutes ago, DPStewart said:

Hey man, what's up with the new Avatar?
That kid doesn't look very evil. 
You goin' soft on us now?

Lmao thats Jubilee from xmen bro, its from some prints I made. Doesn't look as good as a tiny avatar I guess ?