SONY FS5 vs SAMSUNG NX1

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I didn't know there was a sharper lens for NX1 than that zoom. 

Here is a review about it:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1668

Care to share your tests with a better lens? I guess not... 

Seems there's much you don't know.  But for sharpness you might want to try the Samsung 85mm prime... one of the sharpest lenses available by many accounts. 

Here's your review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407634,00.asp

Prime vs zoom... trying for humor are we?

Seems there's much you don't know.  But for sharpness you might want to try the Samsung 85mm prime... one of the sharpest lenses available by many accounts. 

Here's your review.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407634,00.asp

Prime vs zoom... trying for humor are we?

Well at slrgear they tested both lenses with the same camera and it appears the 85mm is less sharp than the zoom:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1459/cat/all

But if you believe that its sharper, you are welcome to go out and shoot with your 85mm and the best lens on A7rii because I am still waiting for you to show me the evidence that convinced you :

I'll just come out and say it. The Sony looks soft. Not just the FS5, but the entire Alpha line up.

There have been other post about this. 

I guess its easier to talk shit about cameras that you don't own. 

DBounce: more and more ppl are now realizing how good the NX1 but, probably and very unfortunately, it's too late.

if Samsung reads this forum I doubt they would kill the NX1 line lol. I shot with some nikon ais lenses and the detail in stills and video was crazy...this coming from a previous gh4 and a7s owner ! It has it's flaws but its amazing in post thanks to h.265. I was finally able to break the codec though stopped down to f8 in 4k by shooting a water fountain. The amount of detail from having everything in focus and the fact that even down to the smallest splash of water was being rendered was too intense for the codec but the fact that it kept the image so sharp had me stunned. I can't wait to see what can be done with an external recorder. Price tag aside the nx1 is an achievement. There needs to be a follow up thats full frame to take on the Canon 1DC and sony A7sii

We're just a really small group that care enough to consider getting one for the things it can do(, once the price is intriguing enough). It might be the first Samsung camera not just to please your average Joe. But average Joe isn't looking for more than average Joe needs. Certainly if it means he would be buying into a dying breed of a system and will still set him back quite the bit of change. He'd probably rather go for something like the quite brilliant D750 mentioned before, which is awesome for stills and the occasional video that doesn't have to be 4K. So, whoever thinks the NX1 is more alive than ever, despite of being killed off... I'm pretty sure that the ones who believed in it's capability already went and gotten one around full price, with perhaps only a select few now being caught in the net as well. But it's a big ocean out there and they've got no more traps out and are already heading home. Fish aren't just going to jump aboard themselves... they'd have to set more traps for the remaining few miles. (Un-)luckily they have retailers getting rid of whatever they've got on shelves with minimum margins, so there's still some people being persuaded to get one... but I'm pretty certain that's not going to be a whole lot of people. It be interesting to see some numbers on that though.

Yep, no matter how great NX1 is, the enthusiasts video market was too small for Samsung. I believe they targeted the dying DSLR market which did not pan out as they hoped. Probably cause everyone is invested in native Canon and NiKon lenses. Too soon to quit though. Pitty. At least now the small market of video enthusiasts can get it cheap. 

• Administrators

Yep, no matter how great NX1 is, the enthusiasts video market was too small for Samsung. I believe they targeted the dying DSLR market which did not pan out as they hoped. Probably cause everyone is invested in native Canon and NiKon lenses. Too soon to quit though. Pitty. At least now the small market of video enthusiasts can get it cheap. 

It was definitely the most Canikon DSLR inspired mirrorless camera out there.

Can tell from the body design, the Canon and Nikon aspects they copied, the robust build quality and style of marketing too.

That's why to change the mount and brand it 'Nikon' makes so much sense... it would sell a ton.

Sadly, it didn't sell in the already pretty good state it was in, due to a lack of customer education and a lack of willpower from them to invest in a new set of lenses especially the good, expensive S zooms.

I am using my NX1 with some Novoflex adapters for A-mount (another dead system?) and Nikon so the lenses are absolutely not a problem, but I am still mega impressed with the 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 OIS and the 85mm F1.4. The Zoom in particular. I have had it out in the pouring rain and it just carries on and on.

I don't think the s35 sensor from the FS700 through the FS7 has even changed THAT much.  Codec, bitrate, 4k native, sure.  But the sensor itself?  I get spectacular sharp footage from my FS700 - almost too sharp.  Not sure what is up with these tests.  Also I had to really dial the sharpness back on the NX1 I had for a while - it was just too sharp.  I did really enjoy how the highlights rolled off though.  It got sold as I didn't want to support a 3rd lens system (FE/E + Canon EF + NX mount).  The fact it was going away in certain European countries scared me as well as the lack of any smart EF - NX adapters was all I needed to unload it.

I'm out of topic here but actually I think lack of smart EF-NX adapter is not a big deal. In fact the aperture adjustment of the EF lenses are never smooth, why bother if we use manual focus? Buying a couple of Nikon / Contax / ZF / FD / MD / OM lenses does make a lot of sense to me, they have much smoother manual focus with hard stop and declickable aperture ring.

Well... given that...

Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit the optics inside the Samsung NX mount owing to flange distance and physical interference issues

~ http://www.metabones.com/article/of/faq

... and the system's death being enough reason for many not to look into possibilities anymore, that's a little wishful thinking...

So, I totally get Shield3, if you're going to be on the road a lot and have limited gear to carry around, it will have to be something that's going to provide you with some flexibility. Who would travel around with a lens that's got a stuck aperture? How is that not a big deal? No autofocus? No image stabilization? Doesn't mean you can't work around the limitations... but, why would you put yourself through that?

Ok, you can go ahead and get the S lenses and a couple of primes (which isn't really a cheap way to go), forget about any other brand but Samsung. But let's be honest, we're always talking about how great the cameras are... the GH2, G6, GX7, GH4, BMPCC, D5300, A7S, but how much of the user base actually sticks with it for years and years to come? GH-people probably have the latest GH4 (or G7). A7S-people probably have the latest A7SII/A7RII. There's always going to be rapid advancements, so even you would probably find something attractive to upgrade to within the next two years (maybe Blackmagic releases a new Pocket with 4K, global shutter and decent battery life)... then who's going to invest in a full NX system that's going to depreciate a lot in the oncoming years? You can stick with just the 16-50mm S lens, so you have one killer lens that is just flexible enough for about anything and adapt everything else from Nikon and the likes (that's what I would do). Still wouldn't make a very nice travel package though. And for sure would suck if you only already have Canon glass...

nx1 could do that imo, if hacked.

I was referring to the BMC's image quality - native prores and raw. The NX1 will do 30p at 4K, 60 - 120p at 1080. But it's a compressed format. Pretty dang good compression, but I doubt for sheer beauty and power in grading it can touch the BMC. (And I own the NX1, not knocking it).

I agree with Mozim, the FS5 footage doesn't look properly focused. That aside, I still doubt it would shoot as good an image as the NX1. I bought an FS5 and returned it after doing a series of tests. Aside from global shutter, its IQ is below that of my old A7s (that I sold to finance it) and even further below that of the A7s 2 I just picked up (at almost half the price of the fs5). 

It's slo-mo while fun in bright daylight, requires a playback write time buffer before you can reload and shoot. 8 seconds in 240 fps, takes at least a couple minutes to write before you can shoot again. The same goes for 120 fps. What's worse is the noise ratchets way up in 120/240 fps to the point that after 400 ISO the IQ is unusable, especially for night scenes.

A real pity as the body design, weight, size, and the brilliant electronic variable ND were real strong points for this camera. Sony has the technology to allow it to deliver a better image but for segmentation issues chooses not to. In short, I think the camera is a waste of time.

I agree with Mozim, the FS5 footage doesn't look properly focused. That aside, I still doubt it would shoot as good an image as the NX1. I bought an FS5 and returned it after doing a series of tests. Aside from global shutter, its IQ is below that of my old A7s (that I sold to finance it) and even further below that of the A7s 2 I just picked up (at almost half the price of the fs5). 

It's slo-mo while fun in bright daylight, requires a playback write time buffer before you can reload and shoot. 8 seconds in 240 fps, takes at least a couple minutes to write before you can shoot again. The same goes for 120 fps. What's worse is the noise ratchets way up in 120/240 fps to the point that after 400 ISO the IQ is unusable, especially for night scenes.

A real pity as the body design, weight, size, and the brilliant electronic variable ND were real strong points for this camera. Sony has the technology to allow it to deliver a better image but for segmentation issues chooses not to. In short, I think the camera is a waste of time.

hey how you liking the a7sii ?

• 1 month later...
On December 28, 2015 at 0:26 AM, kidzrevil said:

hey how you liking the a7sii ?

Absolutely love it! It's about two stops less noisy than the A7s I. Better user button assignability. Still I'd recommend getting a fotodiox start/stop switch. Real cheap. Works. I so wanted the FS5 to deliver better images. It can shoot great stuff but as I do loads of night and low light work, the A7s II better suited my needs. Also, I'm a real sucker for Full Frame. If you're going to go small and cheap, better to have something special in the cards. Also, if 120 FPS is enough for you, the A7s II doesn't require a write wait. This is important if you're shooting unscripted moments, moments that can't wait for your camera to write the previous shot. With the FS5, if I shot 14 seconds at 120 fps, I'd have wait almost a minute and half before the camera could shoot again. While okay for controlled situations, not so much for doc style work. The A7s II at 120 fps has no write time. It does punch in to about a micro 4/3 size chip for 120 fps. So be sure to have some wide glass. I often use a Tokina 11-16 cine for the slo mo. Gives me the Full Frame look of about 28mm or 19mm in super 35. Other noteworthy stuff: the 5 axis stabilization is excellent. Take many of the small jitters out as well well as tames more of the rolling shutter issues. Rolling shutter overall seems about 20 % better than the old A7s. Battery life sucks, so I bought a few more as well as an NP plate to Sony adaptor for those times I need a long run time. The EVF is definitely a step up from the FS5 as well as the LCD. Also, having a "LUT" preview helps a lot with shooting S Log. S Log 3 however is dead to me in this camera. My favorites are the CINE looks.