Customized pro full-frame film lens Pentax PHN50/1.7 PK VS Canon EF 50mm f1.4 lens?

milandirector

Hi,

I want to buy new 50mm fast prime. I will be using the lens on my gh2 and on BlackMagic cinema camera for now.
I m debating between the these two:
1. Customized pro full-frame film lens cinematics Pentax PHN50/1.7 PK - for $500
2. Canon EF 50mm f1.4 - for $400

Would anybody have any suggestion on which lens should I buy.
Thank you very much for your insights and your time.

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
hahahaha. I'd stay well away from that cinematics junk. they are selling you this:-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentax-M-SMC-50mm-f-1-7-Prime-Lens-Film-Digital-EOS-NX-M4-3-4-3-Nikon-Sony-/280948796265?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4169da6b69#ht_1786wt_1348
(36£) with some cheap chinese plastic around it to make it look like a cp2. then charging you $500! rip off. at least your canon ef 50mm f1.4 will have resale value. there is no point in that cinematics lens unless they offer an 18mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm to match. if the cheap 50mm lens costs $500, the 18mm (if there is one in pentax) will be about $3000 or more at that inflation rate.

A classic example of a chinese company entering a market they know nothing about. making a product look like something else is unfair. I can think of a lot better lenses to rehouse. why go to the effort if you are not going to create a full set? you wouldnt hire a single 50mm zeiss cp2. the whole point is that they are all matched in the range

Thanx a lot for your post.

What about Sigma 30mm 1.4 vs Samyang 35mm 1.4 (If I m not mistaken Sigma is APS-C and Samyang is FF)?
Also how would Sigma 4.5mm 2.8 look on BMC camera? It is extreme wide on APS-C, but it could be perfect Wide lens for BMC...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Administrators
The Samyang is by far the better deal vs the Sigma 30mm. Yes the Samyang is full frame unlike the Sigma, and far sharper wide open.

The 4.5mm is a Fisheye, it will have tons of distortion. Again can't think of anything better for wide angle on the BMC than the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 in Canon mount. Nothing is as sharp or with less distortion or a faster aperture at 11mm.

Thanks for your replay!

BTW Do you think that Tokina 11-16, Samyang 35mm and Contax 85mm 1.4 would be enough as a starter lens kit for BMC. Down the road I know I would need 50mm 1.4 (Probably Canon EF); 20mm (Probably Canon again), and possibly something wider than Tokina, but I still don't know what exactly (I was thinking about sigma 4.5, but if it distorts the image too much, that that's probably not the best idea)?

Again thanks for your effort to replay.