Canon XC10 C-Log Samples for Download

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Ive been asked quite a bit about what the 4K 305Mbps 4:2:2 C-Log looks like ungraded.
Here are a few "Before and After Shots". I've spent maybe 10 seconds per clip on grading so its more to show the ungraded.
But most of all its to also give a link to two random 4K and one HD Slowmo clips that you can download.

Files: http://we.tl/b0zsUe2hxy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I do like the form factor, but the fixed lens with variable aperture restricts it's usage by quite a bit and makes it a hard sell for $2500. 

Footage looks nice. An interchangeable-lens version would have been great...

To each their own. I think a fixed 24-70/4 and a 24-240/5.6 with awesome ibis is very usable.  Specially considering that iso 4000 does not need noise reduction. But sure, who wouldn't want an interchangeable version.

Price is fair imo. Very close to the XA20 when it came out and the AX100.

To each their own. I think a fixed 24-70/4 and a 24-240/5.6 with awesome ibis is very usable.  Specially considering that iso 4000 does not need noise reduction. But sure, who wouldn't want an interchangeable version.

With a 1-inch sensor, what lenses would you put on it? It would start getting complicated and frustrating, which begins to defeat the appeal of the camera I think.

Perhaps one day we'll se an XC10 Mark II (or more likely Mark VII) with a more exciting fixed lens. I'd like to see an EVF too personally ...

• Super Members

With a 1-inch sensor, what lenses would you put on it? It would start getting complicated and frustrating, which begins to defeat the appeal of the camera I think.

Perhaps one day we'll se an XC10 Mark II (or more likely Mark VII) with a more exciting fixed lens. I'd like to see an EVF too personally ...

If it would be a Eos-m mount their could be plenty of options.

An evf would have been a dealbreaker for me. I much rather have the loupe which gives me pretty much a huge evf.

If they would have put one in it probably would have been the dreadful one from the xa20, c100 and xf100.

And the one from the c100ii would probably compromise size and price.

If it would be a Eos-m mount their could be plenty of options.

An evf would have been a dealbreaker for me. I much rather have the loupe which gives me pretty much a huge evf.

To be fair I have no idea what the options are like for EOS-M. And I haven't picked up an XC10 so I have no idea what the loupe is like! It just looks a bit goofy but if it works then great. Is it sturdy when the screen is flipped up and you're looking down into the loupe?

BTW, how is audio? Is it easy to adjust levels while shooting? What are the preamps like?

• Super Members

To be fair I have no idea what the options are like for EOS-M. And I haven't picked up an XC10 so I have no idea what the loupe is like! It just looks a bit goofy but if it works then great. Is it sturdy when the screen is flipped up and you're looking down into the loupe?

BTW, how is audio? Is it easy to adjust levels while shooting? What are the preamps like?

It's very sturdy, the top edge of the screen rests against the camera body when looking down. Very steady together with the ibis.

Audio is really good. Adjusting it is done pretty quickly with the function stick. Or touch if not using the loupe. The good part is the amps, it sounds great. Where you would activate the +20 dB gain on the mic for DSLRs you don't on the XC10. Signal is still strong and clean.

All the audio in this is from the XC10.

Grades very well. Thank you Mattias!

Canon have the magic sauce. Just a shame they can't put it out there in a more accessible price and with greater diversity in their product lineup.

I saw a few clips the other night from a 5DM3 and the color was just great, especially after spending time look at all the Sony stuff. It's going to be a bit bizarre looking back in a decade at all the strange color and grades from this time period, it'll be like Walt Disney threw up.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Hideously digitally sharpened 3840x2160 is proper 4K and LOG untouched 3840x2160 is improper 4K. RED 6K R3D viewed directly is soft and improper 4K. 

Did Canon steal your lunch money as a kid?

No, they failed to live up to my expectations. I have a G30 that I bought when they first came out, was disappointed with the lack of resolution with that - as an upgrade for my existing equipment it was money not well spent. I was expecting the 7D2 to be a true hybrid with modern 4K capabilities, a camera for the future, but instead it turned out to be a stills only camera with token video, much like earlier DSLRs, still stuck in a bygone age.

So I got tired of waiting for Canon to get a clue. Now I am cynical about them and do not trust that they will live up to the promise. They can be counted on to disappoint, and the XC10 is no exception - for the price it could be so much more, I know that for a fact since other manufacturers do make such cameras with apparent ease, but Canon simply did not deliver that. It seems they can't, it would cost them too much money even though they charge more for their products than others. How does that work?

I guess you could call me a fanboi who has been shown the finger once too many times by my true love, so now I no longer believe in her good faith :)

That is said, so now you know. The XC10 is just another in a long line of Canon products that could have been great, almost, so close, but corners are cut and it slips away, leaving a shadow of what could have been. Very sad.

• Super Members

I know that for a fact since other manufacturers do make such cameras with apparent ease, but Canon simply did not deliver that. It seems they can't, it would cost them too much money even though they charge more for their products than others. How does that work?

I think I've already asked you about this before with no answer, but what the heck.

Please link to the 4K 4:2:2 +200mbps shooting camcorder with good stabilization, good audio, non dslr form factor, built in NDs, etc that's even better but still cheaper, so I can buy it. 

Too bad it is so soft. Maybe they will be able to implement 4K properly with the mark II in 2017.

I have thought on several shots from the xc10 that it looked nothing like 4k resolution. The episode the camera store tv shot on it had me checking my resolution setting and reloading the tab over and over. But Mattias's montage night shoot and his assessment of the camera have brought me around a ton on it since first hearing about it(s lens). Hard to actually say anything about resolution from youtube and a 1080p screen anyway, and higher isos of course make it softer. Any lab tests that have shown you the resolution is always shit, or?

well the 1DC is clearly a detailed image without oversharpening, but I don't know about the xc10. I attached a picture which is too compressed to make any conclusions... hope it settles the discussion once and for all - but no, someone should really confirm whether that video was all just user error or not.. several really disappointing image issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLZRKfFmUY 

xc10 soft.jpg