Andrew Reid

I have been shooting and grading the GH4 for quite some time now, but I shot and edited a little piece earlier this summer that utilized the ML Raw possibility of the 5d mk3 and I think the robustness of the raw files is outstanding. A treat to grade anyway I want. I ended up with this grade from one of my favourite places where I live. I enjoy the Canon colors every time I see them. More is in the description.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,  

I'm just finished editing a music video and have been roped into grading it which isn't my thing at all (very basic understanding). The footage is a mix of slog-2 and other pic profiles off the A7s. The band want a B&W version so basically I'm looking for some advice on my workflow. I'm using PPCC and have Speedgrade which I never use. 

What I'm going to do is do basic adjustments, de-noise etc first. Once I have that done I'm looking for some pointers. I have the ImpulZ Ultimate collection, has anyone used these to get a nice B&W conversion, or know of any good B&W LUTS that I could try? Would it be better to do the conversion within PP using contrast & saturation adjustments? 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I would just turn the saturation to zero, but remember contrast usually needs a pump going B&W to get blacker blacks and whiter whites, avoid having a mostly "grey" image as opposed to actual black and white, so adjust with luma/RGB curves to get the richest contrast. A LUT wouldn't be so useful here as they mostly work on altering the colours so using a LUT on a B&W image wouldn't make much sense apart from contrast adjusting and grain. I might be wrong here though about LUTs. I've made great B&W results with setting zero saturation, putting an S curve and adding some slight grain. Works a treat.