Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Review - DSLR killer?

117 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='markm' timestamp='1352976595' post='21673']
Andrew great review. The BMC is truly a game changer. Already the mighty are toppling. This must be on every film makers christmas list. Sanveer has put my thoughts on it exactly.
[/quote]

I love the BMCC. Its such an amazing camera. I Know, I'm being greedy, but, I wish, they make version 2.0, with a 30% reduction in bodysize. That would be phenomenal.
markm likes this

Posted · Report post

thats hilarious. Some ppl on this forum propagating looking for the best product at a given price. Constantly bashing companies for overprjced products but then completely blind to their when they overpay :D. check the hisotry of mac. because it was so bad almost bankrupt they had too stop using their ’better and faster’ hardware. I still remember their marketing crap and bullshit of their d cpus being 2 times faster than reg you lar PC cpus. Their OS being superior to overything else.
what happened? its all gone. theyre using PCs hardware. Operating system is UNIX under the hood. Only name left.. and prices.
tomekk likes this

Posted · Report post

sorry can’t edit previous comment from the phone I think

Posted · Report post

oh the aegument its easier and there is less errors in the system is true... just the problem is its only true beacuse youre limited to the maximum.... when u have a gopro with 1 button, certainly, less things can go wrong then wheb you have gh2...

Posted · Report post

as for bmcc. lets compare it to whats on the market when we can buy it. whats the point of comparing something you’ll get in 6months time (and as we know 6months is ages in todays hardware progression ) to already 1 year old cameras. DUCY?

Posted · Report post

tomekk Black Magic have their hands tied on this and they are getting some cameras out. This is not the same as promisng stuff that couldn't be done It was totally above board and in place. Their suppliers were tried and tested then switched companies on them. That is far from Black Magics fault.
That aside even though time has passed it is still the camera that shoves all the pathetic consumer offerings into the stone age. Andrew has a baby Alexa literally. And soon it will be available to all. Truly a groundbreaking game changer that has shaken up the business of camera making.
Either manufacturers will have to start giving consumers what they want or someone like Black Magic will. They have made tiny movements in the righ direction but really cameras like the GH3 need to be about £700 to stay in the game.
Although many will prefer the easier workflow of a camera that has on board ND filters and high compression rates They wont pay X thousands of pounds premium for it when they can have prores and although more time spent rendering etc they get better quality.

Manufacturers now face a dimemna on how to go forward.

Of course the next step FOR PRO USE IS 4K Global shutters and better capture cards for bigger better storage as well as Moire issues.
They could easily divide the Pro and consumer market again.

Of course that doesn't take into account China or BM's next move.

Seems to me Canon could have led the way with the C300 if they had priced it at about £5000 and then bought out The C500 at its current price.
In my opinion they shot themselves in the foot through overpricing and left and opportunity that has left them far behind. They have a lot of catching up to do as well as regaining consumers trust. Its a do or die world Some are choosing to go down with the ship.

Posted · Report post

markm I agree but I’m pretty sure companies will react. It’s natural. They always react.

Posted · Report post

also the topic name is pretty bad unless I missed somwhere that bmcc can take as amazing stills and has as amazing AF as 5dmk3/d800

Posted · Report post

BMD should sort out their problems and focus on getting us active MFT mount versions of the camera, that's what they should have went for in the first place, it's been one of main critiques since they announced the camera and it took them way too long to accept it, and when they did, they ran into these other problems that are keeping them from selling cameras.

We'll probably see the Digital Bolex come out in the meantime, if they don't run into problems too. They're different cameras that will probably deliver similar quality images, but for different styles of filmmakers. I'm not crazy about the Digital Bolex's form factor, but the mount variety and global shutter are definitely strong points for my shooting styles. Also, having an S16 sensor allows the usage of 16mm lenses, whereas the BMD camera has a slightly larger sensor which might not work with all 16mm lenses, while not being bigger enough to make a difference to the look of the image and DOF.

Posted · Report post

What ever happened to the Kineraw s-35? Haven't heard from them in forever.

Posted · Report post

Andrew great review on the camera, but your OS review is extremely poor!!!! Windows PCs are far better then people give them credit for. There is a reason many enterprises use Windows OS, and not OSX!
kirk likes this

Posted · Report post

Please remember my blog is a personal view. It is not the encyclopaedia Britannia entry for Windows 7, I am reporting my personal experiences. Still as I write, Windows remains a pain in the ass for me and many others. My QTDecoder.exe keeps crashing during Resolve sessions through no fault of my own and it is a fresh installation of Windows 7! It really is far more unstable than OSX and that is a fact I'm afraid, even if you are one of the lucky ones who have never had to lose several hours sorting out Windows and driver issues.

You have been warned...

Posted · Report post

Sigh...Let's just say you are right and move one, I"m sure many others would agree..

Posted · Report post

[quote name='riogrande100' timestamp='1353010111' post='21708']
Andrew great review on the camera, but your OS review is extremely poor!!!! Windows PCs are far better then people give them credit for. There is a reason many enterprises use Windows OS, and not OSX!
[/quote]

Maybe so but there is also a reason Mac sales are growing while the rest of Windows PC market has been pretty flat. Just say'n.

Posted · Report post

Andrew, It’s more stable for the reasons I mentioned. It’s not your old MAC. It’s a PC with UNIX inside but Apple’s limiting GUI. Your petsonal view is flawed because apple is good at brainwashing people ;). Accept the fact, you’ve got PC with UNIX inside and you’re getting ripped off. It’s far more worse than your battle vs canon.

Posted · Report post

But yeah, back onto the [i]cameras, [/i]it's good news about the BMCC manufacturing issues being sorted. Granted they have a lot of catch up to do though! But if they can pump everything into getting these out and [b][i]working perfectly[/i][/b] they could restore confidence in a shorter time than otherwise.

I hope they do, it'd be a shame to see a new contendor stumble at the first few hurdles! I also hope they don't start immediately releasing really overpriced and heavily tiered products after this one too. We are dealing with a profit-making company after all, not a charity. It's very easy to see the numbers roll up as you do bad things... :o

Posted · Report post

@galenb. when you put UNIX inside which is superior for many reasons to windows at this stage (not graphic wise yet, hence the problems with ati cards) what do you expect? Just the problem is ppl doesn’t realize there is no apple left inside their box. what’s left is apple’s half eaten logo and hefty price. Apple is effectively selling PC with Unix. What suprises me, Andrew, constantly talking about how canon is ripping ppl off is defending much worse company. Must be true love. I dont expect him to say: yeah, I was brainwashed by apple but now I understand ;)

Posted · Report post

@jgharding. yeah. it’s good they’ve finally sorted out manufacturing issue. I don’t agree with all that hate to profit-making companies though ;). If it was not for profit you would never see bmcc in the first place. Profit drives innovations and allows to expand.

Posted · Report post

Calling a Mac a PC with Linux is plain ignorant. OSX is based on Unix yeah, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with Linux. I've been using Linux full time for over 6 years now at work, and I can assure you it's nothing like OSX, I which it only came close. (and let me tell you, I work on Boxx machines that cost more than Mac pros, why do they cost more? I have no idea!)

The fact that Apple uses the 'same' hardware as PCs is also very misleading, just open a Mac Pro and look inside, the thought and design put into it are unmatched on any PC I've ever seen. Same with laptops, every time i look at a PC it looks like i went back in time at least 10 years. 1 inch thick laptops? it's 2012 for fuck's sake!!! Windows is designed by software developers and engineers, including the interface, OSX and macs are designed by the best designers around, and even though they'll do the same thing at the end of the day, the experience (and transparency) is worlds apart.

Posted · Report post

1. where did I say linux? I clearly said unix. I used it in the past and used mac OsX when it came out - once. So unless something has changed, when open up a shell, you get the structure and core of FreeBsd.
2. Hardware =/= design. So fine, you pay for the design. Quite a lot but fine. Your choice.

Posted · Report post

Not just design, you pay for better engineering and build quality.

Posted · Report post

hehe, always last defence of apples funboys ;). ok design, better plastics. Can you explain how you understand better engineering? btw. afair youve built hacintosh. Why didn’t you go and pay full price to get built legendary quality, design and better engineering which all of those are clearly worth the premium.

Posted · Report post

How is a discussion about Apple vs Windows relevant in a BlackMagic review? Just use what you want, don't try to convince others what they should use or what is 'better'. What does it matter to you anyway if someone else uses something different then you do.. The whole internet is full of Mac vs PC, Android vs iOS etc. I thought on EOSHD I could escape that madness, apparently not :(

Anyway, thanks for the BMCC review Andrew.

Awesome camera for filmmakers. Dslr-killer for dslr-users who use their camera only for movies. Not so much for the hybrid shooters I think. If the BMCC came in a dslr alike body with reasonable photography features It'd be a no brainer for me.

Posted · Report post

Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons!

Have you read this?

[url="http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/11/blackmagic-cinema-camera-vs-the-dslr-video-world/"]http://blog.planet5d...lr-video-world/[/url]

Video Look? I suppose its all subjective in the end - always has been, always will be.

Would really love to see some anamorphic footage from you Andrew!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the review Andrew. I hope I will get mu MFT mount soon.
On the MAC vs PC discussion. I agree with Andrew... Once you go MAC, you just can't go back. :)

I have been using PC's all my life. tried MAC, but was never confortable with it. However in 2008, an editor friend of mine made me get my first macbook pro and I fell in love with it. No more driver issues, no more wizards (I hated those), no more crushes, and miracle blue screens (to this day that 2008 MBP never crushed on me), loved OS X, loved editing, coloring, and generally doing everything on it.

[center]However lately I have been looking into PC alternative again, due to MAC's being so expensive, and with limited specifications. My problem is that I need mobility, so I have to limit my computer search only to laptops. MBPretina look amazing, but their price is amazing too. For the price of top end MBPretina I found amazing PCs - complete beasts. [/center]

[center]Now for the interesting turn of events, I contacted Peter Chambrlain from DaVinci Resolve, to see what computer with what specification would work best for Resolve, and he told me that regarding Resolve, he only advices MBPretina laptops, no PC laptops, regardless of the monster specifications! [/center]

[center]I don't understand why, I have never been IT guy. That's probably why I love my MACs so much, I don't have to think that much about things outside my editing/coloring, etc, as much as when you use PC.[/center]

[center]Sorry for the long post...[/center]