With three Alexa sensors stitched seamlessly together, 65mm film moves into the digital era and with it Arri into the 4K & 6K market.
This is an incredibly niche camera, and at the time of writing will only be available to rent directly from Arri.
- 65mm digital cinema camera
- ARRI A3X CMOS Sensor
- Aperture equivalent to 5-perf 65mm film
- 6560 x 3102 Resolution
- 54.12 x 25.58 mm Sensor size (active image area) Sensor image diagonal: 59.87 mm
- ARRI XPL Mount (64 mm diameter)
- 0.75 to 27 fps (upgrade to 60 fps planned for early 2015)
- EI 160 to EI 3200. Base is EI 800
- Dynamic Range greater than 14 stops
- ArriRaw (no ProRes it seems), 11 minutes to a 480GB drive
Source: CINEC Munich Issue of FD Times
Do take the time to read this issue of the ever excellent Film & Digital Times. The information is superb on the new Arri and features exclusive interviews with the company.
For this camera Arri have modified a bunch of Hasselblad lenses to cover the gigantic sensor.
The sensor dwarfs the Red Dragon’s 6K CMOS.
The Leica medium format camera at Photokina by the way, is not medium format for video. It’s Super 35mm in 4K.
I’ve not yet decided whether to make the trip to Munich for CINEC but it would be interesting to see some images from the new camera. 65mm is truly a thing of beauty.