Shutter Speed NX1

ricardo_sousa11

Hey everyone,

I got my adapter for the NX1 this week, and have been trying the camera out, I gotta say, the 4k is wonderfull, incredibly detailed, and with the right settings, it looks cinematic right off the camera. But i've been encountering an issue, with indoor lights, I cant seem to take the light flicker off...even if at 30fps, 50fps or wtv speed I choose. On my Canon 600D, if I was at 30fps, 50 or 150 I wouldnt have this issue. Am I doing anything wrong ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

No, if it flickered it will flicker. But if you shoot lets say outside in sunlight there will be no flicker.
Its only electrical lights that can be a problem.

So in sunlight you can shoot 120fps and the convert it to 25p slow motion. If you don't want to use slow motion but still more frames it needs to be dividable with 25 as in 25p 50p 100p.
If you deliver in 25p.

You could shoot 120p in the sun and export as 30p. But my suggestion is to stick to PAL if you are in a PAL country. Because if half your hard rive is 30p and the other half is 25p and you for whatever reason want to mix the footage..... trouble.

On a related note, one thing that seems to really bother me about NX1 footage is the jerkiness of the motion, especially evident with moving cars. 

This video is a good example: it seems like the car reverses an inch for every few it drives forward. 

DJI Ronin and Samsung NX1 Combo: http://youtu.be/jr0h_HkdjJI

The benefits of gimbal stabilizers aren't as visually apparent in the videos I've seen with the NX1 as they are with a GH4 for example. 

That's the major thing that is giving me second thoughts about this camera. Is it just because people don't know how to set their shutter speed properly?? Also, would applying a motion blur effect in post alleviate this issue? Or perhaps shooting at 270 or 360 degree? 

I think that jerkyness ir probably because people dont know how to set the shutter speed/export, havent noticed any problem with motion yet. The camera is quite amazing, IQ quality is quite stellar, I will be making a video today on an exhibition and then ill share with you guys. I really think this is the most underated camera out there at the moment, if you're a video guy.

Clearly, the guy had real low shutter angle, see the passing car at 0:12, there hardly any blur. These days, I'm regularly shooting at high shutter speeds with my NX1 myself and not bothering to stick to the hallowed 180 degrees. Two reasons:

1. You can get some amazing 8MP still frame grabs. I went to Costa Rica recently and some of most exciting stills of wild life I got were frames from video because you have so many to choose from with just the right timing and framing.
  2. I don't like using ND filters anymore. I have a pretty good variable ND filter (Tiffen 77mm), but it reduces the quality (especially adding flare) and is not the most convenient to use. Putting it on/off was not really an option in the Costa Rica rain forests (BTW, both my NX1 and 16-50 S lens took the rain well).

Given the low angle footage, I'm experimenting with getting the blur. So far, I've found the pixel motion blur in AE to be quite good (you need to bump up the frame count though), but it is dog slow, so you'll need to add that to your workflow time. The ReelSmart motion blur is really fast (especially when using graphics card), but has artifacts (at least in my testing). If anyone else has suggestions, please share. 

Well, it seems that the problem was fixed by switching to PAL and keeping 25,50,100 shutter speed ! :d 

Now theres one thing bugging me is that, when im filming 4k 24p (aside form the liveview being very choppy, but I think thats normal ?!) when Im filming, it seems to show much more contrast than after the video has been recorded (even playing back form the viewfinder), is that some sort of setting ? It makes it harder to expose correctly, having the higher contrast makes me believe shadows will be too dark, when in fact they arent.

I've noticed this same jitter when shooting a car moving horizontally through the screen. My take is shooting a 24p in 4k just isn't a fast enough frame rate, which is why we all want UHD @60p. You'll notice in your video the problem doesn't occur until the car is moving horizontally across a static camera shot. I would bet if you shot that same scene in 1080 @60p that jitter wouldn't be there. The only other way to combat that is moving the camera horizontally in the same direction as the car, requiring shooting from another moving car, or use your drone.

I would just like to see less jitter while recording, it looks very choppy while using the LCD, even though while playing back doesnt look as bad. Considering this camera has an amazing processor, it would be great to have 4k/UHD @ 60p but idk how realistic expecting such a feature would be. I'd be glad if I could choose C1 for 4k and C2 for 1080p video dedicated modes on the dials.