newfoundmass Posted 3 hours ago Share Posted 3 hours ago On 10/1/2026 at 5:31 PM, kye said: I suspect that we're probably better off without it having AF. I suspect that (in the parallel universe where they did give it AF) the AF they gave it would have been pretty rubbish and also because it got AF it probably wouldn't have gotten any/many good MF features, so neither pathway would have been particularly useful. I get that could be an issue, but for my use, being able to use modern lenses would've been advantageous. Putting a GoPro style camera into tight spots with some of the small M43 lenses would've been really, really nice for my work, especially with the slow mo capabilities. I'm not trying to use vintage lenses for sports, or soften the image, ya know, but I'd love to be able to put a tiny camera behind the backboard of a basketball hoop or attach it to the ring post of a professional wrestling ring and get footage that doesn't have that action camera look. kye 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kye Posted 2 hours ago Share Posted 2 hours ago 25 minutes ago, newfoundmass said: I get that could be an issue, but for my use, being able to use modern lenses would've been advantageous. Putting a GoPro style camera into tight spots with some of the small M43 lenses would've been really, really nice for my work, especially with the slow mo capabilities. I'm not trying to use vintage lenses for sports, or soften the image, ya know, but I'd love to be able to put a tiny camera behind the backboard of a basketball hoop or attach it to the ring post of a professional wrestling ring and get footage that doesn't have that action camera look. I guess without it having electronics in the lens mount there's no using an AF lens even in manual mode, because focus and aperture both need power. I can't think of any way to get power to the lens either, without it coming from the camera. There used to be that trick of connecting a lens to a camera with lens controls and setting the aperture, then putting it on a camera without them and using the mechanical MF controls, but I guess that's not really possible either. With the right lenses I think you could get the shots you want, but it would mean buying new fully-manual glass, which obviously isn't ideal. It takes me back to the "what is a tiny camera with good image quality" question that has been asked over and over again because it doesn't have a good answer. Hmmmm. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
John Matthews Posted 2 hours ago Author Share Posted 2 hours ago I was only able to muster a few shots today. I'm actually not sure what I'm more impressed with: colors and look with log and FilmConvert Nitrate + Hazy; or, my MacBook Air's (M5) ability to cut through the footage and watch in realtime. Initially, I wasn't that impressed with the Natural or Vivid profiles, but the Log looks great to me with FilmConvert. I need to try more. The ILS did very well with handheld shots at 17mm, given it's only electronic stab. I will have more lenses next week to try out. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ND of any type to test on this lens (who make a 40.5mm thread anyway? That's stupid). Anyway, next week, I'll have more stuff, including the media mod their new microphone kit. I know it sounds like I'm going all-in with GoPro, but I definitely think they're on to something. I'm quite impressed with the ecosystem too. No need to go through the anxiety in choosing between 5 different cameras either. You want wide- get the mission 1 pro or a Loawa lens. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kye Posted 1 hour ago Share Posted 1 hour ago 34 minutes ago, John Matthews said: I was only able to muster a few shots today. I'm actually not sure what I'm more impressed with: colors and look with log and FilmConvert Nitrate + Hazy; or, my MacBook Air's (M5) ability to cut through the footage and watch in realtime. Initially, I wasn't that impressed with the Natural or Vivid profiles, but the Log looks great to me with FilmConvert. I need to try more. The ILS did very well with handheld shots at 17mm, given it's only electronic stab. I will have more lenses next week to try out. Unfortunately, I didn't have a ND of any type to test on this lens (who make a 40.5mm thread anyway? That's stupid). Anyway, next week, I'll have more stuff, including the media mod their new microphone kit. I know it sounds like I'm going all-in with GoPro, but I definitely think they're on to something. I'm quite impressed with the ecosystem too. No need to go through the anxiety in choosing between 5 different cameras either. You want wide- get the mission 1 pro or a Loawa lens. Nice images. Once you get files beyond a certain quality then the film emulation can do the rest. How are you finding the 17mm F1.4? Sharp enough wide open for you? In terms of filter threads, you can get filter-thread-adapters in that size. I bought a tiny vND for mine, which was really cheap because of the small amount of glass required! John Matthews 1 Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
John Matthews Posted 38 minutes ago Author Share Posted 38 minutes ago 54 minutes ago, kye said: How are you finding the 17mm F1.4? Sharp enough wide open for you? It seems sharp enough for me, easily resolving a 4k image. Remember, I'm only using the sweet spot of that lens. Others have notice vignetting, and corner softness- not the case when using just a fraction of the image circle. However, I notice back-lit subject will have a strong chromatic aberration (purple) at f/1.4, but it goes away at f/2.8. It flares a little too- a bonus for me. The usability is absolutely great though. 54 minutes ago, kye said: Nice images. Once you get files beyond a certain quality then the film emulation can do the rest. Thanks. Yes, I really don't have too much time to fuss around with the files- make it look good to my eye and then off to the next one. I just do a few exposure adjustments. 54 minutes ago, kye said: In terms of filter threads, you can get filter-thread-adapters in that size. I bought a tiny vND for mine, which was really cheap because of the small amount of glass required! I got a whole new set of ND filters. The reason being that I haven't had much luck by using VND's on small/pixel dense sensors. Bad things happened when I put my VND on my old camcorder. In the end, I'm going for 55mm and using step-up rings to get there. Why 55mm? Most of my Konica glass uses that with only a few exceptions. Anyway, I got the K&F Nano-x ND4, 8, 64, and 1000 set. They should do the job and still manage decent quality from a 50MP sensor. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now