AJA Cion - 4000$ price drop: Now 4995$

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yeah this is them just trying to save money until their next cam. It's a real shame about their timing on the camera and sensor choice.

​Their sensor choice is quite understandable. As I presume they wanted to make a Super 35mm camera. What super 35mm sensors are their available on the open market that they could have used? The choices are few indeed! Otherwise BMD and Apertus Axiom would be using them. 

AJA Cion's issue is BMD (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Sony FS7) have spoiled us! Imagine a world without BMD, we'd all be lusting hard after the AJA Cion!

It appears AJA tried to aim for the upper end of the "affordable market" (if that phrase makes any sense, i.e. cheaper than Arri, and even cheaper than RED. But above DSLR/BMD). But perhaps found that to be a bit of an awkward no man's land, pros won't take a risk on them just to save a penny but they're too expensive for amateurs/semi-pros to take a punt on (especially when it has a PL mount!). 

Thus they're cutting their loses for now (but doubt they'll find much successor competing at the cheaper price point of BMD's turf!). Maybe they'll try again at that price point in the market with a V2, or maybe aim for a total different segment. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As I see it the biggest problem for the ursa mini and cion is the FS7. The Sony looks like a true workhorse. And I have little doubt it is well built. For serious pro use the FS7 trumps all these.

​Although in the right hands the FS7 will make fantastic images, it does have some flaws:

1. You can't use the E-mount zoom designed for it. Though ergonomically superior, it *always* produces videoish images, even at it's widest aperture, which is only f4.0!

2. You can adapt EF-lenses, but as of now, you will find that the camera and the lens can't communicate reliably. In the middle of a shoot, you suddenly can't change the aperture. 

3. You can't judge focus on the bad display/EVF. Unbelievable for a 4k camera. You'll need peaking. But then, the display being so small and soft, you wish you didn't.

It doesn't look bad but I don't know what it is because I'm still not impressed. Whether it's the color science or motion cadence, it just looks video to me. 

​It's the DR. It's black, white or grey and very little in between. GH2 league at most. Look at the sunset at 1'38". My 6-bit field monitor has more vivid colors.

​Although in the right hands the FS7 will make fantastic images, it does have some flaws:

1. You can't use the E-mount zoom designed for it. Though ergonomically superior, it *always* produces videoish images, even at it's widest aperture, which is only f4.0!

2. You can adapt EF-lenses, but as of now, you will find that the camera and the lens can't communicate reliably. In the middle of a shoot, you suddenly can't change the aperture. 

3. You can't judge focus on the bad display/EVF. Unbelievable for a 4k camera. You'll need peaking. But then, the display being so small and soft, you wish you didn't.

​It's the DR. It's black, white or grey and very little in between. GH2 league at most. Look at the sunset at 1'38". My 6-bit field monitor has more vivid colors.

Yikes yeah I've seen the useable DR measured at 8.5 stops! For a $10000 cinema camera in 2015!  No wonder nobody bought it.

FS7 looks pretty filmic to me. But having great brushes won't mean you have talent to paint a masterpiece.