Compact Travel - A7C II or A6700

SRV1981

Has anyone invested time into thinking about this? The iPhone 15 with log may be the win for ultimate travel ease but curious about the quality bump and portability of these two bad boys. The smaller the footprint the less barrier to entry and more desirability to create

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No, not invested any time thinking about it, but cost aside, hands down the A7C II (for me) because of the ability to crop much more than the APSC camera based on both sensor size and mp, regardless of lens type or focal length.

I did look at this camera a few months back and if my memory serves, in 2 areas it was a hard no for me:

Relatively low res LCD.

Single card slot.

Actually I looked at the A7CR with even greater capacity to crop…but then decided I’d rather have (if I was hypothetically going to go on this direction) the A7VR which is actually my favourite ‘compact’ mirrorless of the moment.

But budgets and sizes creeping up here…

Has anyone invested time into thinking about this?

- not me. but you have several times before over the course of last year.

The iPhone 15 with log may be the win for ultimate travel ease

- good pair of shoes is. Phone without log is lighter though.

but curious about the quality bump and portability of these two bad boys.

- watch markuspix and save big money. who needs bad boys.

The smaller the footprint the less barrier to entry and more desirability to create

- not at all. joy of using is.

Buy any 3 of these you keep on mentioning. I think you really want to, considering your posts of the last one or two years. Meanwhile with a grain of salt but very entertaining and informative.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

hands down the A7C II (for me) because of the ability to crop much more than the APSC camera

Makes a ton of sense! 

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

considering your posts of the last one or two years.

I enjoy the convo or banter and watch videos on these cameras 😉

Compact travel definitely rx100vii or vi hands down, 2 of my friends went to compact big zoom DC for travel and leave their mirrorlees behind at home. One guy sold his Tamron 28-200mm too cause even that is big for him.

For me I probably get osmo pocket 3 for my compact travel gimbal camera.. can't assed bring an actual gimbal.

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Oh didn’t think about this line. Will check! 

Or the GX850/GX800/GF9 camera, which is discussed heavily in this thread...

The rules in travel shooting are simple:

Rule 1: Get the shot.

To get the shot you must have your camera with you (so it must be small, must not have been taken by security, and must not attract too much attention from others around you).  You must have it handy and ready with the right lenses (so a zoom is often more practical).  You don't know what you will encounter, so you must be able to shoot quickly.  You don't know what will happen and how you will edit so get a lot of varied coverage.

Rule 2: Get a high quality capture of the shot.

This rule is secondary to the first rule.  If anything about the camera decreases your ability to get the shot (rule 1) then it is hurting your efforts, not helping them.

Rule 3: The magic is in the edit.

Once you've returned from shooting, get to work.  Even a casual review of any travel TV series will make it obvious that the individual shots are not what make the show great, but the editing and storytelling and sound design.

If you want a good travel film, shoot a lot then open up your NLE and get to work.

Here is an award winning episode of a travel TV series - I encourage you to look through it and analyse the footage and the edit, as I have done with many examples.  I think you'll find that almost no shots are beyond a modern point-and-shoot.

(NSFW)

I have done frame-by-frame analysis of this episode, and this is one of the finest examples of editing I have ever seen.  It has a complex and nuanced storytelling and cultural narrative, has great music and sound design, uses more editing "tricks" than those nauseating YT travel videos that used every fancy transition they could find, and does it all in a way that is sensitive to the narrative.  

It makes even the best YT editors look like toddlers playing with crayons.

10 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Compact travel definitely rx100vii or vi hands down

Well, actually yes, for most people, most of the time.

It’s not quite what I’d do today but was an approach I took once.

The phone is the most convenient but for me there is zero joy in that.

I personally cannot be bothered to lug around a full sized mirrorless with a decent sized zoom, never mind a bag full of options.

If I was going on safari, fair enough, but more general travel & trips, nah.

The compact for me could work…but it’s a bit too close to the phone so I always ended up using the phone. This is based on a Sony RX100V and later the ZV1.

The sweet spot for me therefore would be in no particular order, but selecting one set up from each sensor size:

Olympus OM1 + 12-40mm f2.8

Fuji XS20 + Sigma 18-50mm f2.8

Sony A7CR + 20-70mm f4

I think the APSC Fuji/Sigma combo is the most compact and lightest and though has a shorter focal length than the M4/3 combo, but has more cropping potential, but there is just something special about the OM1 and that lens that makes it very satisfying.

I had it briefly, loved it, but it did not have the outright pro capability compared with my FF stuff for my work, so sadly sent it back.

I personally would go with the Sony because it’s basically as compact as the others, the lack of a decent rear LCD and only a single card slot would not bother me for non-pro work and neither would f4, because the big draw would be being able to crop the f*ck out of that 60mp full frame sensor and forgo the ‘need’ for a longer focal length.

For me, a travel camera that is not pro work needs to be a ‘one and done’ set up.

The only other contender for me would be the Sigma FP-L but it’s just (sadly) too damned quirky and flawed.