Mid-budget, mid-talent, mid-serious recommendations.

DanielVranic

Hi Yall! Hope everyone's various holidays went well! 

So I have been working on a short form doc about the work I do in astronomy and astrophotography since September, fully shot on the Fujifulm X-T4. This camera has been my personal vacation/family/road trip camera since it came out and for stills it's been such a king. I absolutely love the image that comes off this camera. 

In a past life, Ive worked as a content creator for a few venues in town making commercials and social videos, as well as filming the artists and bands in local studios. We used lots of BMD, Sony, Canon and even Arri one time. The Good old days that have forever cursed me with expensive taste and high standards for IQ.

To the point: Using the XT4 for a documentary shoot so far has been 50/50. 50% of me loves the IQ and the files are robust enough for a good amount of mangling in Resolve. I know it's 10Bit-420 but it does hold up for most things I do nowadays unless I underexposed, which is a me problem and not the camera's fault.

The other 50% is how horrid the AF has performed to date. Seems that with native, 3rd party, and 3rd party adapted lenses I get the same unpredictable AF response with a very large amount of focus hunting and un-usable Face-Eye AF. Really bummed me out for run and gun work, as swapping to manual lenses means a monitor and another item to carry around and power. Im not a pro anymore, so a low-profile setup is really what I am chasing and this XT4 has doubled in volume and mass since filming began, just to accommodate the monitor! 

The final nail was during Christmas I decided I wanted to make a quick little home movie with my family that showed what we did over the holiday weekend. AF struggled in brightly lit rooms, at all focal lengths and lenses. That was it for me. I set the camera down in my office and decided that 2024 was new camera year. Let me be clear- No one watches what I make, it's purely for me but its gotta perform how I expect. Even my old a6000 and a6300 would have done laps around this.

I haven't shopped for a camera body in years (Got the XT4 through a trade) and frankly do not have any idea where to start, but I usually trust tribal knowledge over a retailer so here I am. I see Fuji's new XH2s has gotten a billion "hybrid of the year" awards, but so did my XT4 and I just can't trust Fuji's AF right now. Ive seen a few of Sony's latest offerings, but a bit lost on the differences on a couple models. Canon seems to be behind, purely based on what I read here and on MirrorlessRumors. Panasonic is neat (just became a dealer for Panasonic and can order bodies at dealer cost for myself, so this is VERY neat) but hearing iffy reactions to the AF performance and Andrew's battery issue as well.

So for someone who has a mid-budget (3K including 24-70 zoom lens is hopeful) mid-talent (havent shot pro in 5 years) and is mid-serious (I want my vacation videos looking good, dammit!) I am a bit lost on what the hell to look for!

I seek the tribal knowledge of this forum!

TL:DR Havent camera shopped in 10 years, current camera doesn't cut the mustard for what I now do and don't know where to start for my budget.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

FWIW, I recently upgraded to the XS-20 from an XT3. Bit of a down grade in ergonomics but upgrade in some ways (Ibis I’ve found to be very good for my use case!). Eye auto focus is pretty good on this version though, and my use case is similar enough to yours…home videos, semi serious work!

6 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Hi Yall! Hope everyone's various holidays went well! 

So I have been working on a short form doc about the work I do in astronomy and astrophotography since September, fully shot on the Fujifulm X-T4. This camera has been my personal vacation/family/road trip camera since it came out and for stills it's been such a king. I absolutely love the image that comes off this camera. 

In a past life, Ive worked as a content creator for a few venues in town making commercials and social videos, as well as filming the artists and bands in local studios. We used lots of BMD, Sony, Canon and even Arri one time. The Good old days that have forever cursed me with expensive taste and high standards for IQ.

To the point: Using the XT4 for a documentary shoot so far has been 50/50. 50% of me loves the IQ and the files are robust enough for a good amount of mangling in Resolve. I know it's 10Bit-420 but it does hold up for most things I do nowadays unless I underexposed, which is a me problem and not the camera's fault.

The other 50% is how horrid the AF has performed to date. Seems that with native, 3rd party, and 3rd party adapted lenses I get the same unpredictable AF response with a very large amount of focus hunting and un-usable Face-Eye AF. Really bummed me out for run and gun work, as swapping to manual lenses means a monitor and another item to carry around and power. Im not a pro anymore, so a low-profile setup is really what I am chasing and this XT4 has doubled in volume and mass since filming began, just to accommodate the monitor! 

The final nail was during Christmas I decided I wanted to make a quick little home movie with my family that showed what we did over the holiday weekend. AF struggled in brightly lit rooms, at all focal lengths and lenses. That was it for me. I set the camera down in my office and decided that 2024 was new camera year. Let me be clear- No one watches what I make, it's purely for me but its gotta perform how I expect. Even my old a6000 and a6300 would have done laps around this.

I haven't shopped for a camera body in years (Got the XT4 through a trade) and frankly do not have any idea where to start, but I usually trust tribal knowledge over a retailer so here I am. I see Fuji's new XH2s has gotten a billion "hybrid of the year" awards, but so did my XT4 and I just can't trust Fuji's AF right now. Ive seen a few of Sony's latest offerings, but a bit lost on the differences on a couple models. Canon seems to be behind, purely based on what I read here and on MirrorlessRumors. Panasonic is neat (just became a dealer for Panasonic and can order bodies at dealer cost for myself, so this is VERY neat) but hearing iffy reactions to the AF performance and Andrew's battery issue as well.

So for someone who has a mid-budget (3K including 24-70 zoom lens is hopeful) mid-talent (havent shot pro in 5 years) and is mid-serious (I want my vacation videos looking good, dammit!) I am a bit lost on what the hell to look for!

I seek the tribal knowledge of this forum!

TL:DR Havent camera shopped in 10 years, current camera doesn't cut the mustard for what I now do and don't know where to start for my budget.

Welcome back to the world of camera buying - nothing has changed...  it's still a minefield of pros, cons, gotchas, cripple-hammers, etc!

A couple of follow-up questions that I think would help recommendations:

• It sounds like AF is a major focus - do you need continuous AF?  Face detect?  Eye detect?  How shallow a DoF will you be shooting?  What sort of motion are you expecting the AF to be able to follow?  No AF is perfect but some might be better for your needs than others.
  • What lenses do you have and what focal lengths do you need / use?  and how fast do they need to be?  Re-using lenses could mean more budget for body and might help get a more premium performance setup.
  • What low-light requirements do you have?
  • How sensitive will you be to overheating?  Long takes?  Hot conditions?  Cool-down times between shots?
  • Budget for whole rig?

Lumix S5ii + Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 is a solid all-rounder with great stills capability and possibly the best video chops at this price point.

Nikon Zf + adapted Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2 is a slightly quirky, left field choice with arguably even better AF, IBIS and photo quality over the Lumix, but with a few less ultimate video options.

Fuji XH2/S + 16-55mm f2.8 keeps you within your familiar brand, improves on ‘everything’ compared with what you have except possibly ultimate output (but honestly, who would notice) but arguably, the full-frame options are slightly ahead in areas such as AF and outright capability.

I’d be happy with any of them and for me it comes down to the final detail and how my entire kit works as a whole for the specific needs and wants I personally have.

On that basis, for 2024, I am shooting L Mount for video and Nikon for stills, but if you took it all away and dumped a Fuji based system into my hands, it would work equally ‘real world’ just as well.

14 hours ago, kye said:

Welcome back to the world of camera buying - nothing has changed...  it's still a minefield of pros, cons, gotchas, cripple-hammers, etc!

A couple of follow-up questions that I think would help recommendations:

• It sounds like AF is a major focus - do you need continuous AF?  Face detect?  Eye detect?  How shallow a DoF will you be shooting?  What sort of motion are you expecting the AF to be able to follow?  No AF is perfect but some might be better for your needs than others.
  • What lenses do you have and what focal lengths do you need / use?  and how fast do they need to be?  Re-using lenses could mean more budget for body and might help get a more premium performance setup.
  • What low-light requirements do you have?
  • How sensitive will you be to overheating?  Long takes?  Hot conditions?  Cool-down times between shots?
  • Budget for whole rig?

Oh sweet haha! 

1. AF is much bigger deal to me than I had ever initially thought it would. I do enjoy the "feel" focusing manually but frankly Im not proficient enough at it to rely on. Continuous, Face, Eye and Subject would all be really nice. Moving closer and farther from frame (like in a doc-style follow shot outdoors) or for face tracking indoors. Usually f2.8 

2. I use a 17-70 f2.8 for most work, along with the Fuji 35mm f2, 23mm f1.4 (Viltrox) Fuji 18-55, and I have access to the 16-55 but dont use it anymore. Speed is key, as I often am shooting at the observatory or in the city. At f2.8 I am usually running ISO3000 or so on the Fuji which is the absolute max I can push it.

3. Low Light improvement over the XT4 is paramount

4. Not very, I will usually only be shooting 3-8min long. takes at the most. however in the humid summers I can imagine that getting hot.

So thanks for the follow up! Definitely priorities are 1. AF Performance 2. Low Light Performance

Take a good look at both the Lumix S5ii and the Nikon Zf then.

The latter at first appearance may appear to be a retro inspired ‘stills’ camera, but is actually an excellent low light, AF, performer.

I’m still on the fence myself whether to:

A: even bother with a Z8 or Z9 to pair it with and just get a second Zf, or,

B: even move lock stock and barrel over to Nikon for video also.

If I was not already heavily invested in L Mount, the question would be clearer and the answer would almost certainly be yes, but…

For 2024 at least, it’s more a financial consideration and I will run both systems side by side.

For your requirements though Daniel, the Zf paired with the 24-120mm f4 could be an excellent option?

Or, S5ii with the 24-105mm f4 as I think this slightly longer focal range is more what you are used to and prefer over something like a 24-70?

Thanks for giving all the extra details in your post! 

As so often when people ask for a "mid range" option, it's hopelessly vague! As "mid" depends entirely on where your end points are you measuring from? If you're starting at webcam level and ending at handycam level, then you're looking for a very different answer than someone who starts at FX3 and ends at VENICE!

With your context & background I'd say probably a Sony FX6 or Canon C70 or similar is what you're looking for, as they're the cheapest entry level "pro cameras". 

But you also list your budget, so it clearly shows they're well outside your range. 

What to do? Step back to a previous generation and get a secondhand pro camera? That would be my immediate first thoughts, as the likes of a Sony FS7 / Sony PMW-F5 / Canon C200 / RED Scarlet / etc are all very very cheap on ebay. 

However, it seems that AF is a very high priority for yourself, and unfortunately only the latest generation of pro cameras (such as the FX6) have had decent AF. 

So that kills that entire train of thought. 

My immediate next thoughts are to go for one of these: FX30, FX3, or S5mk2.

(Fujfilm XH2S is worth considering too, but in my opinion not as good as those first three I listed. Canon is out of the question, because they've decided to go for a closed system with their lens. Nikon Z9 is very nice, but outside your budget. The Nikon Z6mk2 / Zf is nice too & within your budget, but again it lags behind those three I just listed above. However.... the rumor mill is spinning saying the Z6mk3 is only days away from being announced? Panasonic GH6 & G9mk2 are excellent too, but again I'd say be lagging a bit behind the FX30/FX3/S5mk2, however I guess the GH7 is surely coming out this year? Well, "2024") 

Sony FX30 is my personal top pick out these three, because from my perspective it has phenomenal low light (just compare it against what we had to work with the ARRIs or a RED Dragon or a Sony PMW-F5 etc, the FX30 does very well!), and would make the perfect B Cam for my Sony FS7 in a way that the FX3 is not. Plus the FX30 is the cheapest out of those three! I half suspect however you'd be wanting even "more" out of your low light. Which thus then cuts down the discussion now to just two:

Sony FX3, basically identical to the FX30 but with the drawbacks of higher cost, lack of compatibility with S35 lens, & shallower depth of field (wellll... some might see the forced shallow DoF as a benefit! But if you're wanting the best low light performance and great autofocus, it's a negative). However, you gain better low light performance overall if you really want to push it there. Worth the drawbacks? Not in my personal opinion, but depends on your perspective / priorities, and I think for you the FX3 likely edges out the FX30. 

Panasonic S5mk2, with the release of the mk2 (not just the S5mk2, but the G9mk2 too) then Panasonic finally leaps to the top tier for autofocus performance, on par generally speaking with the best from Sony & Canon. Panasonic also always gives you that polished implementation and reliability that some other brands have struggled with. I'd very much see the Panasonic S5mk2 as comparable to the Sony FX3 but at a much lower priceHowever.... the S5mk2 is missing a few little details that only pros would likely care about (such as no timecode support in the S5mk2?? wtf Panasonic!! Guess we need to wait for the S1H mk2, ugh), and much more importantly for some: won't smoothly and effortlessly slot into a bigger production also shooting on Sony. As Sony FX6/FX9 (and even still the FS5/FS7) are very popular at the low/mid budget level. If you were still working professionally, then I'd say it is a slam dunk decision to go for a FX3 (or FX30) because of this, & needing to work with others. But because you're just doing it for yourself, then likely the only downside is the somewhat smaller lens selection for L Mount vs E Mount (but L Mount has been getting better and better with more and more options, so I'd no longer see this as the negative it was a few years ago). And the fact you can get the S5mk2 at wholesale pricing then surely makes the S5mk2 the slam dunk decision to go with for you

(very quick edit: I forgot to mention the a7Smk3, as basically once the FX3 I feel that killed any point for the a7S. But anyway, the a7Smk3 is very similar but with the pro features of the FX3 stripped out. You might not care, and happy to just have "a lower priced FX3")

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Nikon Z9 is very nice, but outside your budget. The Nikon Z6mk2 / Zf is nice too & within your budget, but again it lags behind those three I just listed above. However.... the rumor mill is spinning saying the Z6mk3 is only days away from being announced?

I was amiss not to mention the Nikon Z8 (won the "Mirrorless Camera of The Year" award on Newsshooter for 2023): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1765622-REG/nikon_z8_mirrorless_camera.html

It's basically a Z9 on a diet, but even at its cheaper price, it's still too expensive for your budget, so I didn't mention it. (but then again, so too is the FX3 "too expensive", yet I mentioned it a lot) 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And the fact you can get the S5mk2 at wholesale pricing then surely makes the S5mk2 the slam dunk decision to go with for you

For most people most of the time at this price point. IMO.

An easier pick than the Zf as it’s more conventional but I am now of the opinion that Z Mount has the best lens options as it has all of it’s own Z line, all of it’s back catalogue F and all of Sony E, these latter two adapted with full AF capability.

The most interesting and least compromised kit at this price point today, is L Mount and Nikon.

The Nikon Z6mk2 / Zf is nice too & within your budget, but again it lags behind those three

The Zf is quite a big jump over the Z6ii when it comes to AF and IBIS and has the processor from the Z8/9.

However.... the rumor mill is spinning saying the Z6mk3 is only days away from being announced?

I hope so because I am currently on that proverbial fence flip-flopping between Z9, Z8, another Zf or a Z6iii.

Ideally for its role, I would like a gripped body…but also a compact as possible body.

Pros and cons for each of the above, but that’s just my own personal dilemma, but pertaining to Daniel, yes, might be worth holding on a while and seeing what the Z6iii might be.

If it turns out to be a re-bodied Zf, then a lot of folks are going to be disappointed. Not because it won’t be a great camera…because that would be, but because folks always want more.

If it has a version of the Sony A7iv 33mp sensor, an updated Z6ii style body and the tech from the Zf, straight to the top of the class, especially if it has an optional battery grip that is better designed than the clunky Z8 option.

16 hours ago, MrSMW said:

For most people most of the time at this price point. IMO.

An easier pick than the Zf as it’s more conventional but I am now of the opinion that Z Mount has the best lens options as it has all of it’s own Z line, all of it’s back catalogue F and all of Sony E, these latter two adapted with full AF capability.

The most interesting and least compromised kit at this price point today, is L Mount and Nikon.

The Zf is quite a big jump over the Z6ii when it comes to AF and IBIS and has the processor from the Z8/9.

I hope so because I am currently on that proverbial fence flip-flopping between Z9, Z8, another Zf or a Z6iii.

Ideally for its role, I would like a gripped body…but also a compact as possible body.

Pros and cons for each of the above, but that’s just my own personal dilemma, but pertaining to Daniel, yes, might be worth holding on a while and seeing what the Z6iii might be.

If it turns out to be a re-bodied Zf, then a lot of folks are going to be disappointed. Not because it won’t be a great camera…because that would be, but because folks always want more.

If it has a version of the Sony A7iv 33mp sensor, an updated Z6ii style body and the tech from the Zf, straight to the top of the class, especially if it has an optional battery grip that is better designed than the clunky Z8 option.

Thanks so much everyone!!! 

The Panasonic is absolutely on the radar, the Nikon as well, but a part of me does want to leave that look and feel of a camera to a much more modern solution. Maybe the Z6m3 would be a good idea whenever it comes. 

Something else that was brought up by a coworker- the Sony A7CII- with the AI AF, dedicated video settings and higher bitrate 422 recording. 

However it does appear both the Panasonic and Sony have some serious rolling shutter. The XT4 i have now does have some very visible jelly on quick pans so having that get worse wouldn't be super ideal. 

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Thanks for giving all the extra details in your post! 

As so often when people ask for a "mid range" option, it's hopelessly vague! As "mid" depends entirely on where your end points are you measuring from? If you're starting at webcam level and ending at handycam level, then you're looking for a very different answer than someone who starts at FX3 and ends at VENICE!

With your context & background I'd say probably a Sony FX6 or Canon C70 or similar is what you're looking for, as they're the cheapest entry level "pro cameras". 

But you also list your budget, so it clearly shows they're well outside your range. 

What to do? Step back to a previous generation and get a secondhand pro camera? That would be my immediate first thoughts, as the likes of a Sony FS7 / Sony PMW-F5 / Canon C200 / RED Scarlet / etc are all very very cheap on ebay. 

However, it seems that AF is a very high priority for yourself, and unfortunately only the latest generation of pro cameras (such as the FX6) have had decent AF. 

So that kills that entire train of thought. 

My immediate next thoughts are to go for one of these: FX30, FX3, or S5mk2.

(Fujfilm XH2S is worth considering too, but in my opinion not as good as those first three I listed. Canon is out of the question, because they've decided to go for a closed system with their lens. Nikon Z9 is very nice, but outside your budget. The Nikon Z6mk2 / Zf is nice too & within your budget, but again it lags behind those three I just listed above. However.... the rumor mill is spinning saying the Z6mk3 is only days away from being announced? Panasonic GH6 & G9mk2 are excellent too, but again I'd say be lagging a bit behind the FX30/FX3/S5mk2, however I guess the GH7 is surely coming out this year? Well, "2024") 

Sony FX30 is my personal top pick out these three, because from my perspective it has phenomenal low light (just compare it against what we had to work with the ARRIs or a RED Dragon or a Sony PMW-F5 etc, the FX30 does very well!), and would make the perfect B Cam for my Sony FS7 in a way that the FX3 is not. Plus the FX30 is the cheapest out of those three! I half suspect however you'd be wanting even "more" out of your low light. Which thus then cuts down the discussion now to just two:

Sony FX3, basically identical to the FX30 but with the drawbacks of higher cost, lack of compatibility with S35 lens, & shallower depth of field (wellll... some might see the forced shallow DoF as a benefit! But if you're wanting the best low light performance and great autofocus, it's a negative). However, you gain better low light performance overall if you really want to push it there. Worth the drawbacks? Not in my personal opinion, but depends on your perspective / priorities, and I think for you the FX3 likely edges out the FX30. 

Panasonic S5mk2, with the release of the mk2 (not just the S5mk2, but the G9mk2 too) then Panasonic finally leaps to the top tier for autofocus performance, on par generally speaking with the best from Sony & Canon. Panasonic also always gives you that polished implementation and reliability that some other brands have struggled with. I'd very much see the Panasonic S5mk2 as comparable to the Sony FX3 but at a much lower priceHowever.... the S5mk2 is missing a few little details that only pros would likely care about (such as no timecode support in the S5mk2?? wtf Panasonic!! Guess we need to wait for the S1H mk2, ugh), and much more importantly for some: won't smoothly and effortlessly slot into a bigger production also shooting on Sony. As Sony FX6/FX9 (and even still the FS5/FS7) are very popular at the low/mid budget level. If you were still working professionally, then I'd say it is a slam dunk decision to go for a FX3 (or FX30) because of this, & needing to work with others. But because you're just doing it for yourself, then likely the only downside is the somewhat smaller lens selection for L Mount vs E Mount (but L Mount has been getting better and better with more and more options, so I'd no longer see this as the negative it was a few years ago). And the fact you can get the S5mk2 at wholesale pricing then surely makes the S5mk2 the slam dunk decision to go with for you

(very quick edit: I forgot to mention the a7Smk3, as basically once the FX3 I feel that killed any point for the a7S. But anyway, the a7Smk3 is very similar but with the pro features of the FX3 stripped out. You might not care, and happy to just have "a lower priced FX3")

Thanks so much!! in a perfect world i'd find an A7S3 or FX3 w 24-70 on ebay for $3000 and id be satisfied for another 10 years ! 

FX30 is BIG TIME on the radar, but for stills i really don't think it'll cut it. Too much of a compromise in that department 

On 1/1/2024 at 1:11 PM, DanielVranic said:

FX30 is BIG TIME on the radar, but for stills i really don't think it'll cut it. Too much of a compromise in that department 

What do you really need for stills? Could you just get a Sony a6000 on eBay for next to nothing? They'll then be each the back up stills/video camera for the other one! 

+1 for the suggestion of getting an older camera for stills, for the following reasons:

• Older cameras are much less out-of-date for stills assuming they can shoot RAW stills (which is almost universal now)
  • This will give you the ability to have one camera setup for stills and the other for video, with no fiddling around to change modes and adjust any settings that can't be recalled as part of a profile etc
  • The concept of having a backup is a great one and one that I've implemented for my setup
  • If you decide to shoot a second angle or BTS video or anything like that then you're set, even if you setup both on the same tripod and one shoots a wide and the other a close-up, there are so many uses
  • You can shoot a Timelapse of a whole setup while also recording video of parts during the activity
  • You can even do things like record with the FX30 from a distance and use the older one as a field audio recorder and have it close by with a lav running into it

I agree with the above 👆 thoughts as someone who shoots stills and video all day long at every job I do.

It is possible to use the same kit most of the time, but not all the time, something that has been part of the puzzle for me.

My own reality came down to there being 2 solutions better than any other and these were:

A. The twin body set up shooting min 6k raw to give me the ability to pull hi res stills, or,

B. The 4 body set up with 2 set up and dedicated for video and the other 2 for stills.

There was/is a 3 body approach but it actually required/requires more compromise than either of the above, for my needs at least.

Therefore having a dedicated stills camera with a secondary additional compatible video function makes absolute sense.

20 hours ago, kye said:
  • Older cameras are much less out-of-date for stills assuming they can shoot RAW stills (which is almost universal now)

Exactly, when it comes to just stills then for 95%+ of us an old body such as the Nikon D750 from eBay could meet 95%+ of our photography needs yet costs merely 10% of what a new Nikon Z9 would cost! 

The progress in tech for photography over the last couple of decades, especially in the past decade is:

1) has greatly exceeded the capabilities of almost all photographers

2) has somewhat stalled out, and is going at a much slower pace than digital photography was improving at in the 1980's / 1990's / 2000's 

20 hours ago, kye said:
  • This will give you the ability to have one camera setup for stills and the other for video, with no fiddling around to change modes and adjust any settings that can't be recalled as part of a profile etc

Exactly, if you're on a shoot where you're doing both video and stills, it's much easier to jump between both if they're two different bodies. (especially the more complex it is that it becomes. What if for instance if the FX30 is setup rigged for video monitor + TC + audio etc, while the a6000 is setup to be used controlling external flashes?? You wouldn't want both of those combined into one!)

Plus like you said, all the many benefits of having two bodies to use for BTS / timelapses / second angles / etc 

I really appreciate everyones insight here, extremely valuable to my thought processes.

Something I should bring up - I am no longer doing any type of work that would require 2 bodies and for what I want my "new life" with this camera to be is as rigged-down as absolutely possible. To me; that means no external batteries, no monitors, 1-2 lenses max, rode lavs + rode shotgun and thats about it. Hopefully it would fit in just one backpack.

My commercial days are entirely done, and while I would LOVE to have many bodies for different uses, which is exactly how I USED to live with Canon DSLR's and Blackmagic's or C200's I just do not have the mental bandwidth for it anymore. 

I am grateful for the idea though! I know it's the best way to live, but I need to make some compromises. 

If you're fine with only the electronic shutter of the 28megapixel sensor of the Sony FX30 when doing photography (some people are not, and insist upon a mechanical shutter for their photography), then I still think that's the way to go for you. 

An option I've embraced that really keeps things simple is to forgo AF in video production.  

How I shoot is exactly how you say you'd like to shoot.  It keeps it simple and once you train yourself how to be adept at manually focusing you'll find their are numerous techniques that'll carry the day.

Also, there's something wonderfully organic about getting shots that float in and out of focus and then have a human hand pull it sharp.  Now, to be fair, I am extremely short sighted, so it's actually a bit of a camera-operator super power I have.  I can look at a LCD monitor 2 inches from my face and really see what's going on in perfect vision comfort.

When I'm wearing my contact lenses and have to use "readers" eye-glasses to see things close the vision gets more challenging.

Anyway.  Manual focus.  Something to consider anyway.

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

An option I've embraced that really keeps things simple is to forgo AF in video production.  

How I shoot is exactly how you say you'd like to shoot.  It keeps it simple and once you train yourself how to be adept at manually focusing you'll find their are numerous techniques that'll carry the day.

Also, there's something wonderfully organic about getting shots that float in and out of focus and then have a human hand pull it sharp.  Now, to be fair, I am extremely short sighted, so it's actually a bit of a camera-operator super power I have.  I can look at a LCD monitor 2 inches from my face and really see what's going on in perfect vision comfort.

When I'm wearing my contact lenses and have to use "readers" eye-glasses to see things close the vision gets more challenging.

That is what I am doing for the last few months w the Rokinon DS and what I am trying to avoid doing anymore. I do respect that feel and look and ill be keeping my Rokinon + adapter for those cases, but for 99% of what I do, its the wrong choice.

10 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

My close vision has finally lost its battle with decrepitude and I'm now trying to work out how to proceed.

I can't see the LCD screen to save my life, don't want to wear reading glasses on the point of my nose like an octogenarian (vanity is a virtue, right?), and don't want to use the viewfinder because I don't want people to see me holding a camera up to my face (despite the fact that the EVF adjustment compensates for my vision).

Life is full of challenges....

7 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

That is what I am doing for the last few months w the Rokinon DS and what I am trying to avoid doing anymore. I do respect that feel and look and ill be keeping my Rokinon + adapter for those cases, but for 99% of what I do, its the wrong choice.

I have recently switched from MF primes to AF, but because I only tend to shoot short shots I have found that AF-S is sufficient.  The spectacular thing about this is that AF-S is often instant and accurate, even on very budget cameras, and when things move out of focus it appears natural and organic, in contrast to having a poor AF-C where things getting out of focus just looks like the AF is crap.