The new Canon 5Ds 50MP full frame DSLR and video (rolling coverage)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apparently they'll also announce a new rebel camera (750D) next week - I wonder if the video specs on that are gonna be harbinger for the specs on the new 5d... it will obviously be lower spec'd but if it's just same old features that might mean the same old features on the 5d (for video). Who knows...

Well, this is great, but I cannot see how present lenses will cope with this resolution. All professional fixed lens don't go higher than 60-70 l/mm, which leads to 20MP clean resolution max.

If they don't announce a special line of lenses for this beast, I will be totally puzzled, unless I'm wrong in my estimations.

I currently use Mamiya camera + Phase One P40+ digital back and am totally happy with the setup. So also curious how it stands against this Canon...

Apparently they'll also announce a new rebel camera (750D) next week - I wonder if the video specs on that are gonna be harbinger for the specs on the new 5d... it will obviously be lower spec'd but if it's just same old features that might mean the same old features on the 5d (for video). Who knows...

​I think the 7DmkII was the harbinger of what to expect from Canon DSLR video for the foreseeable future. 

With so many other great options on the market for cheap video, does it really matter what Canon decides to do with their 5D model if it's inferior on the video side?  I've been shooting on DSLR Canons for years now and I'm not really going to worry if in 2015 they decide to not be competitive with video anymore.

I know lots of people fret about skin tone, so maybe with a Canon camera there's that subjective superiority (debatable, IMHO) and then what exactly?  The RAW hacks? (not debatable, that's pretty cool)  Lens investment?  Brand loyalty?

I'm not scared to move away from Canon if they move away from me.  I'm niche market and I get that.  They're not exactly selling to me.  I wish they would.  But if wishes were horses...

Sure, I guess I'd like an excuse to consider buying a Canon for video.  Without a really good one though I'll just look elsewhere.  I suppose we'll wait and see what they do.

I noticed the 750D specs included a HDR video mode. Could be interesting. I wonder if it is somehow utilising something similar to the dual ISO hack, or will it be combined multi exposure?

​I've used a similar feature on the LUMIX cameras.  Not terribly impressed.  Screws up the image too much.  Anything in motion has an obvious effect to it.  Your mileage may vary.