The new Canon 5Ds 50MP full frame DSLR and video (rolling coverage)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Northlight Images says they have been told that the EOS 5D Mark IV will be announced in August. The EOS 5D Mark IV is said to come with improved video and still performance and features, and with just a modest increase in resolution.

As we reported first, the EOS 5D Mark IV will most probably have 4k video recording. This will be a DSLR oriented to the sport, action and event photographers. I am sure the EOS 5D Mark IV will push Canon already exceptional low-light performance to new boundaries.

THE MESSIAH WILL COME AGAIN

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A small nitpic, "The much more expensive 50MP+ full frame cameras such as the Pentax 645z"

The Pentax 645Z is a Medium-Format camera, not a Full-Frame, it's sensor is 44 x 33 mm, almost double the 24x36mm format.

​Yes it's Fuller-frame :rolleyes:

As we reported first, the EOS 5D Mark IV will most probably have 4k video recording. This will be a DSLR oriented to the sport, action and event photographers. I am sure the EOS 5D Mark IV will push Canon already exceptional low-light performance to new boundaries.

THE MESSIAH WILL COME AGAIN

​Probably IVK, we still don't know if MMMDCCCXL by MMCLX or MMMMXCVI by MMCLX!

Oh I did that test back when I had the D810. Put a 50mm, took two shots, one at 20-ish mp mode, and one at 36mp. In theory, the 36mp should have no resolution advantage over the 20mp medium JPEG, as that med-jpeg is already recording the full lens resolution, but in practise, the 36mp shows way, waay, waay more detail. 

and it was a 50mm 1.8D at f/1.8, so should deliver 15 mp max.

Shooting with a soft lens at 10mp delivers a softer image than shooting with the same soft lens at 50mp, to my eyes, even if numbers don't add up, there's these times one has to choose between believing numbers or one's own eyes :rolleyes:

​I know a lot of people don't like to trust DXOMark, but I read something from them a while back that confirmed what you're saying. That as the sensor resolution increases the resolving power of the lens does as well. I'm not sure how that works, seems like it shouldn't. But they claim it does and your own observations seem to back this up. 

​I know a lot of people don't like to trust DXOMark, but I read something from them a while back that confirmed what you're saying. That as the sensor resolution increases the resolving power of the lens does as well. I'm not sure how that works, seems like it shouldn't. But they claim it does and your own observations seem to back this up. 

​In a completely unscientific way, I can see how it makes sense. More resolution helps make a more pleasing, more defined softness. Even though the lens might not technically resolve at 50mpx, photons still pass through the lens at those small levels, so capturing more of them seems like it would offer an advantage. I guess.