iPhone intercutting high end cameras

tomastancredi

Wondering if any of you ocassionally take serious using an iPhone, and if so, what app are used to get a good log. Filmic pro seems a robbery with subscription and I have not even tried Apple proress much due to data size and bad reviews. 

I currently have the 14 pro and shoot fox with c100 eos r5. I find myself relying on iPhone due to allowance of camera entrance in some areas, but haven’t really taking it seriously to match the other cameras yet..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Working on a doc and my wife and I use it every now and again to grab stuff off the cuff. 

Works good when doing car tracking shots, for instance. 

We're not trying to make studio level color grades with our work, and typically we just push and pull iPhone footage by eye to get it close to our Acam and call it good.  But, yeah, our standards are a bit more loosey-goosey than most, probably.  Still, we're plenty happy with the results.  It's not hard to get them close.

At the end of the day, in my world having the shot is more important than have the correct bit depth and all that pixel-peeking stuff.  It needs to exist first, then we'll worry about it.

I also from time to time intercut to (R5, R5c) iPhone footage, you can spot it but most of the audience does not even notice. I even intercut 360 reframed content that is even more lower quality. But is more important to get the shot.

As you said not everywhere is easy to be there with a R5 type of rig. I also started to record with the iPhone on top of the R5c as I tend to use really long lenses in the  300mm to 600mm range so I can have a second view much wider with the iPhone (77mm).

I have a 13 Pro Max and contemplating a move to the 15 Pro Max for 3 reasons: 120mm instead of 77mm, satellite emergency (I can skip the Garmin and its subscription) and the most important for me the workflow as the lighting (non really lighting speed 🙂 ) is a huge pita. Hopefully with direct SSD/CFexpress reader support I can record directly or quickly copy to an external storage.

I use to use Filmic Pro but is now a robbery and also the UI imo was a bit cumbersome especially when I'm in hectic places so I went back to the normal camera app. I just installed the Blackmagic one and it seems ok but I need to test it out more.

Overall I truly hate filming with the iPhone but it get the job done when it would be hard to have a bigger camera. 

Btw my R5 in 8K RAW never overheated but I had once the iPhone on top in 4k 25fps overheating and shutting down 🙂 

It would also be cool if you could use it directly as a wired monitor..... but for Apple is too much to ask...

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

It would also be cool if you could use it directly as a wired monitor..... but for Apple is too much to ask...

If you have an iPhone 8 or above, the Acsoon SeeMo can do the trick (and a couple more like recording and streaming( for around €160.

https://accsoon.com/accsoon-seemo/

Official video here but there are a lot of user reviews on YouTube who in general seem to not completely hate it.

40 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you have an iPhone 8 or above, the Acsoon SeeMo can do the trick (and a couple more like recording and streaming( for around €160.

https://accsoon.com/accsoon-seemo/

Official video here but there are a lot of user reviews on YouTube who in general seem to not completely hate it.

I saw that it has one big flaw for me it needs a battery and is a Sony battery that I have none. So one more charger, set of batteries, etc. Would have had power by USB also I would have brought it…

Maybe as on the iPhone 15 Pro with USB-C there will be more elegant solutions…

• Super Members
2 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I saw that it has one big flaw for me it needs a battery and is a Sony battery that I have none. So one more charger, set of batteries, etc. Would have had power by USB also I would have brought it…

They are a necessary evil with a lot of gear but I'm no lover of the Sony batteries either really as with the ones I have it would be quicker to charge up a submarine.

However, you can use a dummy NP-F battery adapter like this to power it from a USB-C QC outlet.

Still somewhat clunky of course.

71ckkhyJOFL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.5f1b5764ddcdc6a724b1ddcc15fe979d.jpg

8 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Wondering if any of you ocassionally take serious using an iPhone, and if so, what app are used to get a good log. Filmic pro seems a robbery with subscription and I have not even tried Apple proress much due to data size and bad reviews. 
I currently have the 14 pro and shoot fox with c100 eos r5. I find myself relying on iPhone due to allowance of camera entrance in some areas, but haven’t really taking it seriously to match the other cameras yet..

In terms of shooting LOG, the native HDR is actually rec2020 (I believe) which is sort-of LOG and fulfils the same purpose in many ways.  The biggest difference between rec2020 and a log format is the level of saturation, where rec2020 has more saturation.  

This means that 1) rec2020 will clip colours sooner than a real log space, and 2) rec2020 has much greater fidelity with the colours that are not clipped.

The challenge with iPhone shooting is to control the processing that the camera does - especially the sharpening.  I spot insert clips from smartphones and action cameras in larger productions and it's always because of the texture, not the colour grading - they are always way sharper than the higher quality footage.

I have talked about colour grading the iPhone here: https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/74148-making-the-most-of-the-iphone-gx85-and-gh5-and-shooting-in-the-real-world/

And am on a journey to counteract the sharpening here: https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/76313-optimising-resolution-sharpness-in-post/

I think that if you colour grade it properly and counteract the over-sharpening then you'll probably be surprised by the results.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

Well, 15pro max replied with internal log. I hope they soon make it work for the smaller sizes format as well, so than we don necessarily need to add a ssd 

Use Blackmagic App for free and record in h265. And recording to an SSD with the many solutions shown to be helpful is still a smaller form factor than a canon r5