iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

The point is now everyone can live a cinematic life from their daily sunny or rainy days as much as when 8mm popped up some quarters of century ago with the difference to be weatherproof/waterproof and definitely much more handy to look like a pro today.

So, now that even a phone is a capable camera we'll have to stop obsessing on the specs and learn to make engaging films? 

........NAH!!!!

4 hours ago, kye said:

So, now that even a phone is a capable camera we'll have to stop obsessing on the specs and learn to make engaging films? 

........NAH!!!!

On the spot, my friend : ) Reminds me some very recent conversation I had with a customer found online willing to buy both units of a Zenfone 7 Pro I have for sale. The man wanted I could accept some Flip model as trade-in only because it was a newer release and allowed the last Android updates. Struggling to figure out why I don't give a damn. Stuck on phone specs like they could tell me anything sorta my dick is bigger than yours, the year release of the thing, oh God, had the need to be patient... I had to tell him: "Don't piss me off, don't underestimate decades to learn what a device is, part of a whole craft, mine for the record!"

I am still fancying to do shortfilm with a GH3. I want to find out about my minimum regarding image quality for personal narrative work. It seems promising due to its moderate 50mbit codec and a rather robust image without artefacts. I have a GH4 i bought a few months ago. Should be the same as it has a 50mbit option beside the 100 and 200mbit ones. Just have to stay away from the cine profiles to simulate a GH3 well enough.:) Codec from my G6 back then was ok but not as strong as i wished under more harsh conditions, still pretty good for its time and bandwidth. G7 had my favorite HD image, even lovelier than from the GH5, almost as high resolving but a bit more gentle on textures. By a relevant margin better sensor and pipeline than in the G6, same codec though. I still have it but wanna test a adequate minimum data rate. So a simulated GH3 it will be.😊

Just saying in regard to kyes and Emanuels posts above.:)

5 hours ago, kye said:

........NAH!!!!

I still hold 4x units of my G7s not for sale... ; )

Without mention the same number of Canon M : )

And I am on the market to buy a 8mm camera!

8mm, yes, not even Super 8 but I'd love to have this one:

https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/page/super-8-camera/

Call me weird : D

Take a look on this one now (12K by the usual Blackmagic suspects):

https://www.fedex.com/fedextrack/?trknbr=774237722810&trkqual=2460276000~774237722810~FX

Too much of an honour 😊 @Emanuel I am a an 8bit afficiando at heart with a few obscure visual poems under my belt, but thank you anyway for your kindness. Anyway, Gh4 at 50mbit! Thing is, directing and script talent is busy so i gotta do that as well. Passion piece. Reminds me of the times when i browsed GH2 videos with great pleasure. I cannot say that about browsing iphone 15 stuff.

@PannySVHS@BTM_Pix Yeah I guess we have to be fairly eclectic to let that horses for courses adage comply the multi purpose aim we have to handle these days in a never ending complex industry and distinct assignments for a myriad of departments or market segments nowadays. So, one doesn't exclude the other as people are used to believe : ) There's more mere obsolete obsolescence instead rather than the common meaning coupled to the concept itself, as we tend to see it connected with this word.

Many different tasks and applications for much real realms which require such learning curve.

The older the better sometimes applies. Not all the time all the way, okay, but a few times enough to make it somehow usable at a certain point of the road. To match it with the most modern technology available no less. That's a balance. This balance is the key, far to be the tools per se to rule the world or I even dare to claim they never are ; ) Hence human always beats the instrumental portion of the equation, no doubt. This is the whole trouble, people often forget it.

This craft is a bit more complicated and challenging but doesn't break the aforesaid rule either. No specs to trump :- )

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yeah I guess we have to be fairly eclectic to let that horses for courses adage comply the multi purpose aim we have to handle these days in a never ending complex industry and distinct assignments for a myriad of departments or market segments nowadays. So, one doesn't exclude the other as people are used to believe : ) There's more mere obsolete obsolescence instead rather than the common meaning coupled to the concept itself, as we tend to see it connected with this word.

Not sure what you mean here but in my post I was just gently pointing out that you had posted a link to a FedEx package tracking page rather than a link to what I presume you meant to of some footage from an Ursa12K ?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Not sure what you mean here but in my post I was just gently pointing out that you had posted a link to a FedEx package tracking page rather than a link to what I presume you meant to of some footage from an Ursa12K ?

Pure tease, sorry mate : ) No footage yet, once just arrived yesterday. But, as soon as we'll have something to post I will bring it to this our community :- )

I meant to address the idea 12K doesn't exclude the use of other platforms either acquisition or workflow. As we know, to capture 12K means too little : ) Will have zero impact on delivery for example. As well, only because we use raw as for instance doesn't mean we cannot praise 8-bit acquisition or anything else, like stated and mixed up there within my post. Or even film.

That link pops up as slight hint of our joy for this add-on to the current range of resources without never let to not mention human aspect is second to none side by side throughout the technical front.

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I am still fancying to do shortfilm with a GH3. I want to find out about my minimum regarding image quality for personal narrative work. It seems promising due to its moderate 50mbit codec and a rather robust image without artefacts. I have a GH4 i bought a few months ago. Should be the same as it has a 50mbit option beside the 100 and 200mbit ones. Just have to stay away from the cine profiles to simulate a GH3 well enough.:) Codec from my G6 back then was ok but not as strong as i wished under more harsh conditions, still pretty good for its time and bandwidth. G7 had my favorite HD image, even lovelier than from the GH5, almost as high resolving but a bit more gentle on textures. By a relevant margin better sensor and pipeline than in the G6, same codec though. I still have it but wanna test a adequate minimum data rate. So a simulated GH3 it will be.😊

Just saying in regard to kyes and Emanuels posts above.:)

FWIW, I found the 50Mbps HD from the GH3 to be far better than the GH4 with the same settings. In general, I found the GH4's HD modes to be very poor compared to its own 4K or the GH3's HD. 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:28 AM, Emanuel said:

A dream come true of the Italian neorealism... think about it : X

To those who are used : D to complain on crappy YT entries, here's something... (Marty @PannySVHS, this time, starts with my beloved Rome found now right after when arrived to that earlier Lisbon clip of before ; )

Just got around to watching this - interesting stuff.

One thing described as a key element to the French New Wave was the availability of affordable and portable 16mm film cameras, allowing the available-light, hand-held shooting style.  I see from wikipedia that the Italian Neorealism was a precursor to the FNW, with Italian Neorealism in full swing from ~1945-1955 and FNW not really getting started until the late 1950s.

I couldn't find any good timeline about when 16mm film became affordable - but I did note that wikipedia said "The format was used extensively during World War II, and there was a huge expansion of 16 mm professional filmmaking in the post-war years." so maybe the Italian Neorealism was the first movement to really benefit from this technological advancement?

I was also under the impression that the FNW was the innovative movement that took the new tech and developed new techniques that fully utilised it, but maybe that's not the case?

6 hours ago, kye said:

Just got around to watching this - interesting stuff.

One thing described as a key element to the French New Wave was the availability of affordable and portable 16mm film cameras, allowing the available-light, hand-held shooting style.  I see from wikipedia that the Italian Neorealism was a precursor to the FNW, with Italian Neorealism in full swing from ~1945-1955 and FNW not really getting started until the late 1950s.

I couldn't find any good timeline about when 16mm film became affordable - but I did note that wikipedia said "The format was used extensively during World War II, and there was a huge expansion of 16 mm professional filmmaking in the post-war years." so maybe the Italian Neorealism was the first movement to really benefit from this technological advancement?

I was also under the impression that the FNW was the innovative movement that took the new tech and developed new techniques that fully utilised it, but maybe that's not the case?

The neorealist filmmakers brought the cameras to the streets. There is a joke told about Rossellini when Ingrid Bergman wrote to him (they would form a family and a team later) that he asked "who is she?" : D Hollywood was made indoors and Italians wanted to shoot the real life with real people (not professional actors as much as possible, etc.). Light equipment all the way where the French took advantage from their aesthetics proposal. French New Wave filmmakers had all been fascinated by their precursors, those Italians who had left the artificial construction out of their creation. That focus on the true portrait of the real conveyed from there. The light setup, yes.

And the natural light source as exposure method too.

It is famous the story often told as anecdotal note about Rossellini when he would have submitted all the crew to wait for the sun exactly to match the sun movement in the middle of two buildings around noon...

In 2023, we celebrate 100 years of 16mm film introduced by Kodak. There are a lot of movie reels shot by amateurs since 20s of a century ago. I have a few of them, well, dozens or okay, hundreds LOL : ) in my private collection I am organising to say it more explicit as of now. Also trying to save those pictures with other professionals of same field. I am involved with a couple of labs. Part of my business today.

French New Wave shooters were kids, young cinephiles, film critics (Cahiers du Cinema their Bible) their Italian neorealists their parents.

While Italians brought Hollywood method to make films to the real life, FNW left the tripod.

The film language was not anymore something necessarily stable, stuck on a few rules determinated by the need to look like or adopt a professional look. The shots didn't have to be lovely and carefully on the spot. As the industry had been so severe to put limits.

Italians had opened the pandora box.

French said why not to take the option to disrupt the whole thing with an amateur 16mm format, besides already used professionally for news reels, as for instance?

And that's it!

Came from their obsession with the real which popped up after WWII in Italy. No more fake, as mantra. Seems Orson Welles (F for Fake ; ) would have said that Rossellini was not a real director but all Italians great actors! LOL : )

The influence of neorealism is beyond the technical side of this craft, not so far from their approach to the way the technology should be adopted though.

Here is a list of a few examples earned in the American cinema for example.

John Cassavetes, one of the most influential filmmakers of the History of this medium (here's another link which can help to render better understanding of the relevance of the contribution of these people who were able to shoot "on grainy 16mm film stock and set over one night" as BFI tells the story here on Faces and the American Cinematographer here for Shadows), has his part of this route for sure, not only the case of someone I am proud to have had the luck to have personally met and associated to my curriculum and work with, even today, Jonas Mekas.

Lars von Trier, also one of my dearest ones, did his course with his Dogma 95 movement when digital video had just arrived.

Gilles Deleuze, a French thinker I've studied for decades and praise a lot and one of the most important individuals of the XX century, is the philosophical expression of all this.

Last but not least, something left outside from the above-posted is their contribution to the synthetic editing vs the analytic approach from Hollywood tradition, where the work of Delleuze will actually focus the emphasis on time vs space.

And with a tremendous impact on the extension of the duration of shots.

The lighter the capture rig is, the more flexible this process can happen.

As well the whole set up of the design and découpage of the scenes to shoot, actors directing (or not when it is the reality to prevail as subject).

https://movieperception.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/analytic-vs-synthetic-editing/

BTW, already mentioned from a post I had placed along this thread 22 months ago:

• 1 month later...