I need a cheap bird's nest cam

kaylee

A lovely American robin has made her nest by my front door, so i have declared a moratorium on using that door and the stairs that lead up to it haha

What if i wanted to put a lil camera there to follow her progress? I know you guys have these things – from Ring to more security type cameras. i know nothing abt them

i dont care abt the image i just want to see what shes up to w/o disturbing her lol

thoughts?

e7711b097cbc3aa155d0eb8eed3c8b851de6f9d7

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I remember doing this too.

A robin nested outside my grandmother’s living room window back in the 80’s. I hooked up a VHS camcorder and we watched/recorded. 

Cute!  

Also discovered how mama birds make sure the nest doesn’t get covered in poop. 

As for your modern birds, nowadays I think I’d use a ‘cheep’ nanny cam.

You should be able to use any camera that has a video out and a power in connection.  The front door camera that Casey Neistat used in his studio was just a GoPro that was powered via USB and connected to a TV.  

Surely you'd have an old camera around that has these two connections?

Lots of cameras have a wifi function that will display a live preview of the image.  I've used the GoPro one, the Panasonic one, Sony X3000 one, Canon one, etc.  Do you have an older spare camera?  It might have one.

Things like Ring are all-in-one solutions that work via the cloud, but the Ring one requires a paid plan, and the quality is pretty low because it's going via the internet and the motion events are being stored on their servers etc

Here's the legacy Panasonic app - it works with a million of their older camera models, some of which are probably going for almost nothing on eBay:

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/image_app/index.html

As several people have mentioned here any gopro with wifi enabled, usb powered and using your phone ... you can even record if you see something interesting. 

Or any cheap wifi surveillance camera that does not require a plan/cloud.... 20-30$ but the quality is quite bad...

2 hours ago, kaylee said:

No idea about that one.

I have a Ring doorbell, and you'd be better off setting up the telescope system in the bunker from Lost rather than using one of those.

11 minutes ago, kaylee said:

@kye omg are they that bad???

Quality is crap, you pay to buy it, you pay ongoing fees to use it.  Its a reasonable solution for security / security theatre, but if you just want a camera that you can watch via wifi then there are cheaper / better ways.

Sample footage:

and in case you think that's YT compression, here's one uploaded at 4K60:

• 2 weeks later...