CANON R6 MKII - Card Recording not supported with clean HDMI out :(

tosha187

Canon Cripple hammer Strikes Again!

i was waiting for nearly 10 years to replace my OLD 5DmkIII (with the MagicLantern hack) as a camera that can run REC on continously nonstop while outputting clean HDMI out for livestreaming jobs.

every camera that came after stops recording after 29:59min including my beloved EOS-R that cannot be used for continuous video. everybody knows that this limitation is completely invented. and it was only after Sony and Nikon removed it that Canon followed suit in their latest models, (including the entry level R10 & R50).

this limitation is why i never got the R5 or R6. because I find it Rediculous that a 5000$ Camera that came out post 2020 is crippled by what is clearly an invented technicality. (and yes i heard the Taxation difference crap. give me a break! i would pay to remove it if they let us. as would everyone else) and if you were hoping for a firmware fix - tough luck! because... Canon!

out comes the R6 MK2! my next camera!

no 4k crop, no (fake) overheat crap, no Record limit. FINALLY! (2023 it's about time!)

well here is the BIG Catch that no raving (and mostly biased or outright bribed) youtuber mentions in their happy positive reviews. nor is it mentioned on any of the Forums i have looked in.

NO CARD RECORDING WITH CLEAN HDMI OUT CONNNECTED!

(it works only with camera settings and focus squares visible in the stream)

i guess im the only one stupid enough to be Livestreaming with Canon cameras.

as you can probably tell i am VERRRRY dissapoineted. all my Sony shooting friends are jointly chanting "I told you So" to which i can clearly add "I should have known".

my trust in the Canon brand is completely broken. i am really considering putting my 6 Canon bodies and 15 lenses on sale and starting a new chapter with a camera brand that i wont be dissapointed with EVERY TIME!

i havnt checked the R7 R10 R50 R3 R8 yet, but i have the feeling that this is the case on most if not all new, continuously recording canon hyrid cameras.

i just shelled out 3000eu on this camera and all i feel now is anger and frustration and most of all... Bewilderment.

WHY CANON?!?

sorry for the ranting but maybe this will help someone make a better informed buying decision before getting this otherwise amazing Camera for particularly what i use it for.

Thank you and Good Luck!

A.

IMG_9454.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, ntblowz said:

You can do clean hdmi out with recording, make sure nothing is displayed before you press record. I done countless livesteram on Canon.

on card - in camera with HDMI out recording is what i was talking about.

and R6MKII not Canon cameras in general.

obviously you can record if you bring 5k of recording gear.

what bothers me is the removal of basic features that were present since forever.

I'm confused: just recently I recorded ON CARD while doing clean HDMI out from my now ancient 7D Mark II to a cheap monitor. My low-tier Z50 can also do clean HDMI without a problem.

Like a lot of people around here I do this just for monitoring reasons since I don't like to fiddle with external recording devices. Internal codecs recorded on SD cards are fine for me.

You're telling us one of the most expensive Canon cameras CAN NOT perform this basic function?

I was pretty sure that I have used for a couple of live streaming.

To be sure I just tested on my R5 and with the first menu settings (LCD+HDMI) the camera can record on the card while outputting a clean HDMI feed and displaying the overlays only on the LCD screen. I also tested and it works the second menu option "only HDMI", there you need to press info to go the screen without any overlays (assuming you did not disable that screen in the customization. 

It could be that R6 II cannot do neither of the methods but seems strange to me. 

Best is the R5c solution where you can configure what to show in the LCD and on the HDMI.... 

Very interesting find, I tested with my R7 and it does the same thing, if anything is connected to the HDMI port it disables internal recording. I then tested with the R5 and it will record internally while the HDMI cable is connected but it has that ridiculous 30 min time limit. The C70 of course has neither of these limitations.

I don't use an external monitor with the R7 so I had no idea it has this limitation. Canon really knows how to screw you in strange and mysterious ways. The only way that I can think of to do what you want to do is with an external recorder that is also a monitor but IMO that is a PITA with the micro-HDMI port since it is so flimsy.

I have been shooting more long form content lately and I was actually considering using an external monitor with the R7 when it is locked down on a tripod to see the screen better, but I decided against it due to the micro HDMI port, now I realize it won't work at all due to the Canon cripple hammer.

For streaming, there is no way to use the WiFi to do it? I don't ever turn on the WiFi so I am not familiar with its capabilities but I thought there was a way with a laptop to connect directly to the camera and have the video stream sent to the laptop.

10 hours ago, tosha187 said:

on card - in camera with HDMI out recording is what i was talking about.

and R6MKII not Canon cameras in general.

obviously you can record if you bring 5k of recording gear.

what bothers me is the removal of basic features that were present since forever.

Yes it can, I been doing in camera recording multi cam livestream with Canon many times on R7, R5 and now R8 beside C70 and R5C.

Don't choose the camera +hdmi option period if u need recording in camera 

Screenshot_20230526-090041_Facebook.jpg

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yes it can, I been doing in camera recording multi cam livestream with Canon many times on R7, R5 and now R8 beside C70 and R5C.

Don't choose the camera +hdmi option period if u need recording in camera 

Screenshot_20230526-090041_Facebook.jpg

You are right, it does work if you select external monitor only. For me only the R5 and C70 work the way that I think it "should" work, but at the end of the day you can livestream and record internally with the R7 with a clean HDMI feed  and it probably works the same way for the R6II.

So for me, its back to the original cripple hammer problem which is the micro HDMI port, just the two times I plugged in the HDMI cable to test this feature felt like I was going to break the port. I can kind of understand no full HDMI port on the R7, but the R6II and R5? Really Canon? My Canon Rebel has a better HDMI port than the R5.

5 hours ago, herein2020 said:

You are right, it does work if you select external monitor only. For me only the R5 and C70 work the way that I think it "should" work, but at the end of the day you can livestream and record internally with the R7 with a clean HDMI feed  and it probably works the same way for the R6II.

So for me, its back to the original cripple hammer problem which is the micro HDMI port, just the two times I plugged in the HDMI cable to test this feature felt like I was going to break the port. I can kind of understand no full HDMI port on the R7, but the R6II and R5? Really Canon? My Canon Rebel has a better HDMI port than the R5.

That why I have the really thin smallrig  micro hdmi to hdmi cable and hdmi connector to connect to the thick hdmi cable. I usually wrap the cable around the tripod head to make sure the cable won't rip camera apart.

But yeah micro hdmi is not idea but there are ways to get around the filmsy connector.

If you use a cage or half cage just use this 

https://www.smallrig.com/SmallRig-HDMI-and-USB-C-Cable-Clamp-for-Canon-EOS-R5---R6---R5-C-Cage-2981B.html

and this

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-ultra-slim-4k-hdmi-adapter-cable-d-to-a-3021.html

On my R5c the adapter and clamp are there fixed in, so I just connect the full HDMI to the adapter. I already pulled the cable and broke the adapter.. 9$ and back to business, a full HDMI would not have been better so this is for sure the safest solution.

R5C has mini or micro hdmi too. 😂 I've been reading on this forum that the Clog variantes in the R7 and R6 are lacking compared to the C line of cameras such as C300ii, C200? What's deal with that?

Which of the Canon DSLMs has the C300ii mojo regarding dynamic range, color and color tesponse in grading? R5, R6II, R8? Not regarding some of the internal codecs from the C300ii though, as those can be huge letdowns due to harsh temporal noise reduction. cheers and thanks 😊

Canon stills cameras have always been poor with DR in video, that and yes their persistence in micro HDMI are 2 of the biggest reasons I had enough of Canon and moved back to Panasonic. 
Canon want you to buy one of their Cine cameras for decent DR and monitoring connections

• 9 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 5:10 PM, EduPortas said:

I'm confused: just recently I recorded ON CARD while doing clean HDMI out from my now ancient 7D Mark II to a cheap monitor. My low-tier Z50 can also do clean HDMI without a problem.

Like a lot of people around here I do this just for monitoring reasons since I don't like to fiddle with external recording devices. Internal codecs recorded on SD cards are fine for me.

You're telling us one of the most expensive Canon cameras CAN NOT perform this basic function?

Exactly! It's terrible... 

Exactly what I felt! Well, similar. 

I ditched my Nikon (20 years) system due to what R6 II and 15-35 + 70-200 F2.8 were promising... 

Whatta disappointment... 

That HDMI, together with micro port, is pure rudeness and negligence from canon. Pure malpractice.

My 10 year old Nikon had mini hdmi and clear HDMI out! 

And, what about FEL!? Flash exposure lock, for less experienced... 

It is so limiting, it's actually non existing! Insane... 

Then, I started to see how Canons are limited... Histogram on image review is not following enlarged portion of it! 

Delete direction is not following viewing direction!?!? 🤯 Why??? 

It's all pure malpractice. Just evil. 

AND YES: side hinged screens!!! So '80s! Like first camcorders... If it was any good, everyone else would've do it, but no - other companies are being honest and less greedy. 

• 1 month later...