Looking to improve gh2/gh4 user wedding videos

rc2727

Ok so since last time I've shot another wedding it was difficult with the lack of light in the evening but I've tried to take into account all your feedback and advice (which I'm very grateful for). So here it is:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Ah94LOlOY

Thoughts?

​When you watch a movie, there is an arc in the story. Most arcs ascend, but a few descend. This video has no arc, it's a straight line. Even though you are documenting and event, it's up to you to craft a story! That's right, you have to craft it, create a fascinating interpretation of what actually happened. Your job is to create the fantasy, not document reality. This is the hardest part of wedding video without a doubt.

So here are my criticisms. Don't worry, we all started somewhere :).

When I did wedding photography, a full third of my shots were of the bride getting ready. This time is massively important. MASSIVELY IMPORTANT! This is time just before she transforms from a single lady to a married woman. More than likely, her mother is there along with her closest, most dearest friends helping her. You must find a way to capture these intimate moments as they are so important to the mother of the bride and the bride herself. The same goes for the groom, but to a lesser extent as weddings are all about the bride! So put this task to the second photographer. You do have a second photographer right? 

When one of the groomsmen/groom was taking a drink of water, or the priest scratching his nose, do you think that was flattering to them? Did it add to the fantasy you should be creating?

I know you got some due criticism for not being quicker on the edit jump cuts, but this video almost have me motion sickness :(! The brain needs time to understand what you are seeing, and I was still processing the previous cut when another jumped in, and another, and another, etc.  It was more of a slide show than a video. Also, here is a tip: Edit on beat with the music, sometimes on time, sometimes half time, sometimes double time.

Here is an exercise for you. Write  down all the words you think of that are the essence of a wedding and a perfect marriage. Then think of shots that will evoke these feelings and use that to create the fantasy.

When I did wedding photography, I hated it! Hardest work I've ever done, and I'm a software engineer by day! The amount of work and study necessary to capture footage that you are not in control of, yet tasked to capture seamlessly is no small task. There are no do overs in wedding photography/videography.

I hope this helps you, cause it's easier said than done. Good luck!

P.S.

I forgot to mention about your music. Even though this is a wedding video just for the couple and their family, I hope you are using licensed music. There are some great sites that let you use music for free, like http://freemusicarchive.org/ which is an excellent resource.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs