Olympus 'beta tested' 4K firmware for E-M1, developing cine lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

While I hope it's true, this is still a tough one to believe.  The person in question who started tweeting the 4K rumor was only listed as an extra on Ironman 2 according to IMDB.  Not the typical film production level one would expect from a "secret" beta tester within the industry.  This would likely go down as the biggest firmware feature upgrade for any camera in history.  I can't imagine Panasonic would sit back and take it without adding a few extra features of their own given the price disparity between the two cameras.

• Administrators

While I hope it's true, this is still a tough one to believe.  The person in question who started tweeting the 4K rumor was only listed as an extra on Ironman 2 according to IMDB.  Not the typical film production level one would expect from a "secret" beta tester within the industry.  This would likely go down as the biggest firmware feature upgrade for any camera in history.  I can't imagine Panasonic would sit back and take it without adding a few extra features of their own given the price disparity between the two cameras.

He's not the beta tester.

He just knows the people doing the testing on an unspecified production he's involved with.

Throughout this the source has not asked us to link to him on twitter or his production company website. So what's he got to gain from lying?

43rumors has seen a photo of the firmware with the 3840x2160 resolution options, etc. but the source isn't allowing them to publish it.

• Administrators

Was the source working on Mad Max? These pics show camera ops using Canon 5D as well as Olympus EM1. I was wondering why they would use EM1 instead of GH4 but if indeed the 4K firmware exists, it makes much more sense!

Great pics.

Do you have any more on this story?

Source I believe was a stunt extra on Iron Man 2. If he is involved with Mad Max it is likely to be as a stuntman or stunt coordinator.

This rumour is one of his best stunts yet though ;)

He's not the beta tester.

He just knows the people doing the testing on an unspecified production he's involved with.

Throughout this the source has not asked us to link to him on twitter or his production company website. So what's he got to gain from lying?

43rumors has seen a photo of the firmware with the 3840x2160 resolution options, etc. but the source isn't allowing them to publish it.

Andrew, I'm just skeptical in general on this one, for many of the reasons you outlined in your original article.  When the GH4 was circulating in beta it wore a nearly identical body to the GH3, so I wonder if this could just be new guts in an old shell that is representative of an E-M1 MkII test unit.  It seems strange that the Olympus v2.0 firmware scheduled for release next week (http://lightsnowdev.blogspot.com/) does not contain the 4K option.  Perhaps they will launch a v2.1 shortly thereafter??  We'll know soon enough I suppose.  I want to believe!!

Would really love for more resolution, better codec, 25p and a more LOG colour profile. If they implement these things the camera would be perfect for casual shooting. But you know as they say.. some things are too good to be true.

These contradicting rumors are very intriguing though. Never heard of anything like this before.

• Administrators

It seems strange that the Olympus v2.0 firmware scheduled for release next week (http://lightsnowdev.blogspot.com/) does not contain the 4K option.  Perhaps they will launch a v2.1 shortly thereafter??  We'll know soon enough I suppose.  I want to believe!!

Yes but that's a leak, it isn't the final v2.0 release.

I suspect they could have two firmwares. One is going in a new camera or the silver E-M1 only and the other will be for stills guys and existing E-M1 owners.

Let's wait for the official announcement next week and find out.

There's something that nobody mentions in conjunction with this big E-M1 update. The other rumor about a big firmware upgrade for the GH4. They could booth drop on the 15th. Panasonic could have updates like the rumored RAW video or Log mode. Even if the Olympus receives all the upgrades it's rumored to,  Panasonic could conceivably hold onto that top tier position right above the Olympus.  

So is it possible the silver EM-1 has 4k and the Black does not?? Someone suggested this on DPR and it actually makes sense as there could be some internal physical changes.

That would be a complete different model to me though.

Or could it be that Olympus is trying to hunt down the sources of various leaks?