WHO AM I- "To the ends of time", an 8bit lover tells his story

PannySVHS

33 minutes ago, tupp said:

Well, it's reassuring that you actually received a prize.  Was it a camera?

No, it was a Sennheiser XSW-D wireless lav. Unfortunately it has too hot of a signal for my Panasonic cameras, THOUGH I haven't tried it with my new Lumix S5 which allows me to lower the levels more.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Even a GX85 in 4K is almost overkill. Almost..:) We shall not forget that film was shot with film. A used G9 can be had for 600 to 800 USD and would be all the digital filmcamera one would need, with the free of charge 10bit update you can film in HLG and 150mbit 10bit 4K plus 100mbit pixelperfect HD up to 10bit 60p.

If content is the attracter of millions of viewers then all kinds and brands of smartphones are already the cams of choice in this world. Cinematic image does not matter in the realm of quick and clever skits and visual sketches and ideas, even less when it comes to the modelling and body optimization videos.

We have to be careful here.

Comparing a GX85 to film and implying that the GX85 is better than film is simply flat out wrong.

The GX85 is better than film in terms of:

• camera size
  • resolution (for cameras of remotely the same size - 8mm or 16mm)
  • artificial sharpness
  • lower-noise

Film is better than the GX85 in terms of:

• dynamic range / highlight rolloff
  • colour
  • natural rendering of details
  • rolling shutter
  • motion cadence
  • film is "raw" - ie zero compression artefacts
  • cinematic image rendering
  • slow-motion (film can be as slow-motion as you like and doesn't decrease in quality)

While the size of the GX85 is definitely a huge point (it's why I bought one), everything I care about in images is better with film.

🙂 Statement meant to be and I wrote, GX85 is almost overkill- almost, since films still offer even more splendid qualities, those of filmstock. I appreciate the attributes of film, which you mentioned, but I am also often astonished how well of a digital emulsion the GX85 provides despite its 8bit 420 100mbit limitations.

Artificial sharpness in 4K is much, much less than in HD on the GX85 fortunately. I perceive it absent under certain circumstances. I always shoot sharpness dialed down completely and use digital diffusion in Resolve. HD on the GX85 rather disappointing. G6 and G7 provided beautiful HD.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

🙂 Statement meant to be and I wrote, GX85 is almost overkill- almost, since films still offer even more splendid qualities, those of filmstock. I appreciate the attributes of film, which you mentioned, but I am also often astonished how well of a digital emulsion the GX85 provides despite its 8bit 420 100mbit limitations.

Artificial sharpness in 4K is much, much less than in HD on the GX85 fortunately. I perceive it absent under certain circumstances. I always shoot sharpness dialed down completely and use digital diffusion in Resolve. HD on the GX85 rather disappointing. G6 and G7 provided beautiful HD.

Actually I think the image is overkill in resolution, and underkill in everything else.  

Just because the GX85 is smaller than most other cameras and just because it's got a better image than the competitors in a similar size / form-factor doesn't mean it's overkill.

So many times people confuse being 'better than average' with being 'more than needed' and it's just not the case.  Sure, you might have the smartest toddler in the world, but that doesn't mean they can lead the space program.  Reality doesn't bend just because the standard of offerings is low!

Whenever I think of the possibilities of 8 bit I come back to this gorgeous short film, Sleepwalking in the Rift, shot a decade ago on a Canon 5D Mark ii. It famously fooled a DP in New York who insisted it must have been shot on film (the discussion thread on reduser appears to have been deleted, unfortunately; the colorist who worked on the footage confirmed that it was shot on a 5D Mark II).

1 hour ago, bjohn said:

Whenever I think of the possibilities of 8 bit I come back to this gorgeous short film, Sleepwalking in the Rift, shot a decade ago on a Canon 5D Mark ii. It famously fooled a DP in New York who insisted it must have been shot on film (the discussion thread on reduser appears to have been deleted, unfortunately; the colorist who worked on the footage confirmed that it was shot on a 5D Mark II).

Ah, I found the reduser discussion, it's still there, just the URL has changed: https://www.reduser.net/forum/shooting-red/cinematography/94365-sleepwalking-in-the-rift-anyone-know-what-this-was-shot-on

haha that's hilarious: 

None of these can be mimicked on Red, Alexa, or any digital system. This is film. Film is part of the reason this has so many hits and likes. Point an MX at that low sun and tell me what the shadows look like, or the running figures if you flicked on HDR. Point an Alexa at the girl against the tree and tell me her skin will look anything like the kind, clear, rich image you see here. Nothing compares.

Still I will retire tomorrow if this was shot anything but film.

But I guess there is a reason why they say the Canon 5D2 started the FF Revolution.

More impressive than 8-bit is its in 720p. Definitely a statement that bit-depth & resolution aren't the end-all.

Those early 5Ds sure had some mojo though, my god. Makes me wanna pick up a 5D3 again and shoot MLRaw.

Or maybe that elusive 1DC, possibly the best 8-bit camera out there?

I never owned a 5D2 but at least I got a used EOS M two months ago or so. Will see how that goes. 🙂 @Django GX85 is my personal 8bit wonder so far.

On a sidenote, in order to avoid the gruesome youtube start screen I began to start youtube with a bookmark, which comes from a search for beauty couple months ago: kodak vision 500t. I higly recommend it.:)

On a general note, some of the replies to my statement about the GX85 are making me question my nonnative speaker english diction.

So again, I never stated GX85 would replace film. I stated it is almost overkill in regards of image quality one would need, not what one might want. Almost, I then continued, since films (movies) have been made with filmstock with its superiour attributes.

That was meant as a compliment of love to the 4K image of the GX85. In grading one can achieve any hues within the 709 colour space, great colour response in grading, beautiful palette to work with. Now, the usual artefacts can appear sooner or later. So it is a little 8bit wonder to me and in the spirit of lowfi filming. Just as for the oldie 8bit dinosaur 5D2 I have a love for these little 8bit machines. I am still planning on doing a shortfilm in 8bit. It´s like slidefilm in regard, that it needs to be treated with love and care.

Hehe, exactely. @Django  Just watched that yesterday when I felt sad about the oil and war monging powers of our only planet earth. Funny thing, I've had put this Kodak 500 search up for months now but watched the boxers piece only yesterday when i told you all about my trick to get around the nerve wrecking and gruesome starting screen from youtube. Good things take time to absorb sometimes😊

• 3 weeks later...

@bjohn Just reread the awesome BMMCC thread a little bit and recognized you have been using the Contax Zeiss 35mm 1.4 with your BMMCC(s, you got two of them?:). Would love to see some of that magic!

The 5D footage you posted looks exellent! Thanks for pointing out. I am not into the emperors couple in Africa setting. But let´s assume it´s Meryl Streep in it. Anyway, fantastic lush colours, beautiful light and exellent lensing. High end stuff.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, PannySVHS said:

@bjohn Just reread the awesome BMMCC thread a little bit and recognized you have been using the Contax Zeiss 35mm 1.4 with your BMMCC(s, you got two of them?:). Would love to see some of that magic!

I wanted the Contax Zeiss 35/1.4 but settled for a secondhand ZF.2 (with a cine mod) because it was so much cheaper and I read that it's essentially the same glass. I'm not so sure, though, as I've read reports that the Contax Zeiss has more microcontrast. Anyway I bought that lens during the pandemic so it hasn't gotten out much yet; most of the footage I've shot with it has been tests at home. I'll get out more with it in the next few months and will post some clips to the other thread when ready.

The evfs for photocameras like the lumix gx1 and oly pens were tiny. It would be awesome if someone did a mod to them so they could be hooked up to the bmmcc via hdmi.

I'd still like to know what evf Cesar Charlone was using here with a SI-2K. Looking very slim.

543939727_CesarCharlone.thumb.jpg.16701f05055f43faa35424812a181959.jpg